Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,257
Laugh New Caponord

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...1200-revealed/

Didn't see it posted yet. I want one! Damn, much better that the new DL1000.

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
It does look good. I just hope that the fuel consumption of the DD12 motor has been improved - or it'll be a pricey beast to run.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,810
Thatīll be a competitor to the Multistrada 1200. A road bike, though Iīm sure itīs a great one.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,293
it all looks a bit exposed.

here it is in white

What happened to this colour scheme?

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
ssregal39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Thumb i want

I want one. I really like the DD1200 but the tank is too small to be useful.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,293
More pics

looks like the crud catcher has gone from the original "prototype". Unless they are going to have two models like the KTM?

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedScot View Post
More pics

looks like the crud catcher has gone from the original "prototype". Unless they are going to have two models like the KTM?

Hmmm.

Parts-bin.

Looks like the tank from a Shiver, swingarm from a Dorso, fairing from an RSV, and do Aprilia have a dozen factories filled with the hard luggage from the deleted Futura?

And that engine will get blasted by road crud unless you live in an arid climate.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,899
I like it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

And that engine will get blasted by road crud unless you live in an arid climate.
Only the Italians could do an "adventure" bike with twin radiators immediately behind the front wheel and a bobbed mudguard (fender for you US folk).

What is it about something to prevent tyre fling-off plastering the front of a bike that designers find just so ugly?

That aside, it could work okay. Aprilia know how to make a bike handle, and they have sensibly fitted an exhaust that allows full bags either side. Interested to see the spec. Resale will of course be zero and a half over here.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Well looks pretty useless offroad, lame.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 746
Vid is up at aprilia.com

http://caponord.aprilia.com/en/video.html

I quite like it, one to try next year
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
Yup. Will have a go on one - but looks like no centre stand fitment. Annoying in this class.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Only the Italians could do an "adventure" bike with twin radiators immediately behind the front wheel and a bobbed mudguard (fender for you US folk).

What is it about something to prevent tyre fling-off plastering the front of a bike that designers find just so ugly?
Because it's "adventure" mission statement is:

"Would you like milk in that" ?

Sweet bike though!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Aprilia had an interesting problem to solve with this bike. The original Capo had wire wheels and a 19" front, making it at little more suitable to rougher roads. But since they are owned by Piaggio, who also owns Moto Guzzi, should they keep their "mild off-road" pretense and go with wheels to match that mission and compete with Guzzi's Stelvio, or make a more road-oriented bike to be more in line with the Honda CrossTourer. It seems they made their choice.

I guess we'll see how well it works out. Personally I would have preferred they go with the wire wheels and 19" front so there is another choice in the "all roads" category, but maybe that's still doable with after market parts. Either way, I'm glad Aprilia updated the Capo!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I'll take a stab at this.

I do think this was built because they could, that is had the parts and motor, but that doesn't instantly damn it.
What I think it may suffer from is a lack of clarity in focus. With a circa 130HP motor, adaptive suspension and probably good aerodynamics, this bike should make a very decent tourer in the modern tall bike sit up idiom that is in vogue today so where's the competition? Well obviously, Ducati. This is not a Stelvio or GS competitor starting at the chain and ending with the tires, but as a road bike for people who want something different.....but we all know this.

So what are the prospects? It's easy to predict that it will be much cheaper than a commensurate Ducati, BMW and the new KTM, probably not a ton more than a VStrom because that is what it has to be. For Aprilia to offer this in the same price range as a GS or Multi would be wishful thinking and suicidal. If it isn't cheaper by a bunch, the first (23) early adopters will suffer the usual Aprilia torment of miserable resale value and the next 1123 buyers will get them at a steep discount. In the long run, this will not be a Good Thing for Aprilia.

So the hope is they will price it right. It looks (an the rumors are) that is will be heavy, (if so, why did they not get the message of light weight when the Stelvio already holds the "heavily constructed" niche?) and clearly it is street oriented, but for a person like me that's not a bad thing as I do like steamed milk in my latte.

However, I think it's mission is maybe a bit muddled and that's a shame when the bike could offer a genuine alternative to the Ducati and some of the other adventurish touring rigs.

Hopefully they will nail the handling, hammer the quality at a great price and have created a really fun to ride, robust good handling tourer with sporting pretensions in the modern idiom that can later be up-specified with wheels and such to create a versatlie platform at a great price.

To do that, they will need to stick to their guns and continue to develop the concept. Right now, for me, I suspect the thing is probably going to be a very decent bike with an unclear mission and will not forge new ground. Also, as BMW, Ducati and KTM get the message that light is good, I fear the Aprilia will be heavier than it needed to be to be truly exciting.

But it probably will be a really good deal for people whose mission it does fit, and I actually like the way it looks. I'm pretty confident that it will be comfortable to ride long distance and will have a really fine motor. Maybe that will be enough, but in today's market, I'm not so sure.

I have more thoughts but that's enough from this verbose adventurer for now.

$13995.00 US.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote