Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #271
monoi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
Never buy the first model...
...next update will be the one,maybe...
I'm not worried about that, in my experience, Aprilia bikes are well made, bar a few details. When speaking to friends with Japanese bikes, all is not perfect either. If the service is good, I can be forgiving!

Thinking about it some more, my main issue is that the capo does not feel enough of a tank for my taste. The KTM is tall and big, does not feel that way when riding it but is imposing, the capo felt like a cruiser with those bars and seating position.

And again, I'm still mystified at this active suspension thing. It certainly did not feel like it was suspended from the sky (it supposed to be like skyhook but better).

I'm going to give a go at the GS with its dynamic ESA to see whether its me.
monoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #272
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoi View Post
And again, I'm still mystified at this active suspension thing. It certainly did not feel like it was suspended from the sky (it supposed to be like skyhook but better).

I'm going to give a go at the GS with its dynamic ESA to see whether its me.
You are not supposed to feel it changing. That would be a very bad thing. What you are supposed to get is a bike that optimizes ride and handling characteristics for the conditions it is presently being ridden in.

The bike should never have felt jarring or over/under sprung or damped. It just should have felt comfortable in cruising and stable and competent in handling at various speeds and under changing conditions. Ideally it would be the conditions that change, not the actual feel of the bike.

Skyhook is just Sach's marketing term that a given manufacturer can use or not. "Suspended from the sky?" A euphemism. Virtually all the professional reviews have suggested that the bike(s) equipped with these systems handle and ride well but that the effects are subtle. On the Ducati boards, that subtlety has raised the question of how much better the semi-active systems actually perform than, for example, a premium Ohlins rig, but most of the new owners are very well pleased with the way their bikes ride and handle.

So how did it handle?
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #273
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,535
Shamelessly lifted from the Capord AF1Racing forum

"Last week the UK's Motor Cycle News group-tested the new Capo along with the Multistrada, Tiger Sport, x-dresser, Versys, Stelvio and 990SMT (curiously not the new 1200 KTM). The test included a trip to the Isle of Man and some time on the TT course. Cutting to the chase, the Capo was rated 7th out of 7 with major winges about fuelling and lacklustre midrange. Ducati came out top followed by KTM (shame they didn't test the new KTM as it could have scooped 1st place??)

But, the Capo was apparently in 'running-in' mode, which the ECU is programmed to run for the first 400 miles. Hhhhhmn! Find it really hard to believe Aprilia released a bike to the UK press that hadn't been run in, or for that matter, specially picked/prepared knowing that it was going to be head-to-head tested against the top adventure bikes. The Capo was the slowest bike too at 118 mph (no comment on how the running-in mode restricts power) and the handling was rated 7th place too (the Aprilia Dynamic Damping not attracting the praise earlier tests had drawn. In fact the only thing that the Capo did excel at was the braking test from 70mph to 0 - the Capo was the only bike to pull up in under 50 metres.

For what it's worth, MCN tests often come across to me as being based on subjective assessment rather than objective analysis, but hey, what do I know. I'm just disappointed that the bike wasn't given a realistic chance of proving its worth. Shame that the late great Kevin Ash didn't get to pronounce on the new Capo ."
Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #274
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
......Cutting to the chase, the Capo was rated 7th out of 7 with major winges about fuelling and lacklustre midrange. Ducati came out top followed by KTM (shame they didn't test the new KTM as it could have scooped 1st place??)
"
The Ducati is one hell of a road bike and will remain a tough competitor. Ask the man who owns one. (Old Buick line for those of you who never saw a Buick ad).
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #275
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Let's shake this thread a little bit!!!

The only thing I don't like? It was a test-drive!!! You can see my Versys on the background of the last picture. Won't trade them as I cannot afford it, but sure is tempting! Best bang-for-the-buck I've driven, and I've already driven the Honda Crosstourer and the new lquid-cooled BMW 1200 GS
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #276
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Conclusion??
Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #277
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
Best bang-for-the-buck I've driven, and I've already driven the Honda Crosstourer and the new lquid-cooled BMW 1200 GS
Aprilias often are.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #278
Gren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Great thread read most of it, love the look of the bike and it sounds awesome although that exhaust can would have to go.....it's fecking huge.... might have to pop round to my local aprilia dealership for a nosey me thinks....

Keep it simple.......stupid..!!
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #279
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

I've been wondering what happened to his thread. It's been awfully quiet considering the potential significance of this bike. There aren't any in the US (That I am aware of) so who gets to carry the discussion for the moment?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #280
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
I wonder too. There's not much on the net either. It looks stunning nevertheless....
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #281
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I've been wondering what happened to his thread. It's been awfully quiet considering the potential significance of this bike. There aren't any in the US (That I am aware of) so who gets to carry the discussion for the moment?
Seems to be available in Europe only; Australia's launch is put back to late June now.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #282
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Seems to be available in Europe only; Australia's launch is put back to late June now.
This is what happened when the Futura was introduced. I was very eager to try one, but it took so long to get here that I never did and bought something else instead. That something else was a Falco (I know, very different bike) so all was not lost to Aprilia, but in this active segment, I suspect they will lose some sales every month that the bike is vaporware here. In two or three months, any big rush to buy for the season will be over in much of the USA.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #283
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Apparently,only in grey or red.yet black is a strong seller here in all brands
http://www.aprilia.com.au/caponord1200/index.html
And while the New Dealership to the north of me has plenty of healthy stocks of Ducatis and Aprilia (they also sell) drags the chain,potential sales have to be going begging regardless of how much cheaper the Caponord 1200 is...
Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #284
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
(they also sell) drugs ...
That's what I call a proper 'dealer'

mousitsas screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 01:59 AM
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #285
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

youtube test in german

If somebody who speaks better German than I, could maybe please convey the main points?