Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #61
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
"You know Massimo, we could do something like that, and far better than we could another knobbly-tire me-too GS clone. It fits right into our brand image, and it can easily use a lot of bits and bobs we're already making or have in the warehouse so we can sell it at an attractive price."

As for the choice of name, I imagine another conversation that went like this:

"Thats a brilliant idea, Giacomo! But what shall we name it?"

"One step ahead of you, Massimo. We save money on the trademark bullshit and call it the Caponord, since we already own the name. Besides, nobody really remembers that dismal-selling failure from a decade ago, but the name still sounds cool and evocative."
That's my main problem with this bike, it screams parts bin special, and it does so taking parts from Aprilia's entry level bikes!

The MTS is a bespoke bike, same goes for the Stelvio, Tiger 1150, Versys 1000, and most of the ADV Tourers. Most of them share their engines with other bikes from the same manufacturer, but Aprilia took it too far with the Caponord sharing everything but the bodywork. Even then, the bikes it will compete to are not based on entry level bikes either!

That's why I said I would expect it to be based off the RSV4, like the original Caponord was. Detune the engine, change cams, ECU tunning, etc. It could be made into a sedate engine with good fuel economy. Give it a new frame, not the same frame on the Shiver 750. RSV4 "like" headlights? Looks tacky and out of place, like BMW headlights on a Honda Civic.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #62
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I was a BMW owner for years until I rode an aprilia Futura. The Futura is a wonderful bike...once all the well publicized niggles have been tended to. Don't tell my Futura, but I have been looking around at possible replacements. I don't want a more than 600 lb "adventure" bike. I want a ST bike that weighs at most 550 wet, gets 45 mpg, is immune to ethanol, has reliable electrics, and is affordable. I haven't found anything yet! The new Capo will deserve a look, but my closest aprilia dealer is 2.5 hours away. No to GS, no to Stelvio, no to MTS, maybe to Tiger 800 roadie, maybe to Tiger Explorer...
What to do, what to do...
If you like the Futura, scrounge a ride on a real Caponord: similar "issues", but once sorted, it'll be like coming home - except that the fun doesn'r stop when the bitumen does. I too had a Futura, sold it and ended up with a Capo almost by mistake; now my wife has one too (though mine's a fast red one and hers is a slow blue one).
For what you'd spend on a GS/Stelvio, you could buy two or even three low-milage Caponords.
And what do you need a dealer for? My nearest reliable one is probably AF1 in Texas, so about 18 hours by Boeing, and about 25,000km away, according to Google. For the rest, there's the AF1 forums, my own two hands and local friends. You only need a dealer - or more accurately, the bespoke electronic testing equipment they almost certainly have but don't know how to use - when you start getting into fancy whizz-bang electrically-controlled traction and suspension controls.
Call me old-fashioned, but I've found the "traction control device" and the "suspension adjustment system" at the end of my right arm perfectly adequate until now.....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #63
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,159
Positive initial impressions from MCN (UK):

"The Caponord is loaded with the latest in electronics, much of it borrowed from the RSV4 superbike. So there's ABS, Aprilia's new semi-active suspension, traction control, power modes and more. In these conditions I've got the traction control on max and am on the 'Rain' power map.

"The ride is seriously good – it glides over lumps and imperfections. The Traction control is working overtime but is coping well and there's a pleasing bark from the V-twin which has been detuned to 125bhp – or the same as BMW's new GS – for this role.

"The highlight so far has been the suspension: through town you don't even notice the speed bumps. The only slight downside is the fuelling down low – it's a little snatchy around 2000rpm.

"It's pretty good value too. UK prices have been announced as £10,599 for the base model and a little over £12K for the fully-specced version, which, considering the tech, is keen indeed. For example, it's suspension is more sophisticated than Ducati's Multistrada yet the bike is a lot cheaper, too.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #64
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Despite my respect for some of the informed opinions registered here, I have high hopes for the quality and value the new Capo will represent. That's coming from the position of owning a minty older one and a Multistrada.

I think the skeptics here are going to be surprised by the new one, but my question is: how many will Aprilia actually sell? The bike is late to the party.
I do wish them well. They have a terrific engineering team and Aprilia is in general the high value proposition in technical bikes coming from Italy in my view.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #65
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Despite my respect for some of the informed opinions registered here, I have high hopes for the quality and value the new Capo will represent. That's coming from the position of owning a minty older one and a Multistrada.

I think the skeptics here are going to be surprised by the new one, but my question is: how many will Aprilia actually sell? The bike is late to the party.
I do wish them well. They have a terrific engineering team and Aprilia is in general the high value proposition in technical bikes coming from Italy in my view.
Agree & hope theres a little brother 800 too,BTW...more high tech than the Multi 1200...
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...rd-first-ride/
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #66
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
Not sure if this vid has been posted before. Amidst the music there are a few moments of engine noise that sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udx-1syvrog

I also noticed that the "SE" version comes with a center stand. Plus point for me.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #67
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
If you like the Futura, scrounge a ride on a real Caponord: similar "issues", but once sorted, it'll be like coming home - except that the fun doesn'r stop when the bitumen does. I too had a Futura, sold it and ended up with a Capo almost by mistake; now my wife has one too (though mine's a fast red one and hers is a slow blue one).
For what you'd spend on a GS/Stelvio, you could buy two or even three low-milage Caponords.
And what do you need a dealer for? My nearest reliable one is probably AF1 in Texas, so about 18 hours by Boeing, and about 25,000km away, according to Google. For the rest, there's the AF1 forums, my own two hands and local friends. You only need a dealer - or more accurately, the bespoke electronic testing equipment they almost certainly have but don't know how to use - when you start getting into fancy whizz-bang electrically-controlled traction and suspension controls.
Call me old-fashioned, but I've found the "traction control device" and the "suspension adjustment system" at the end of my right arm perfectly adequate until now.....
Precis - I don't care about off road except some dirt back roads, and that I can do on my Futura. I do all my own maintenance on the Fut and would only need a dealer for warranty stuff. I'm not very interested in sorting an old Capo but am interested in something new that fits the ST definition. And, yes, the AF1 forum is great!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #68
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Precis - I don't care about off road except some dirt back roads, and that I can do on my Futura. I do all my own maintenance on the Fut and would only need a dealer for warranty stuff. I'm not very interested in sorting an old Capo but am interested in something new that fits the ST definition. And, yes, the AF1 forum is great!
See, already there is confusion created by Aprilia's re-use of an exisiting name-plate: by calling the new bike 'Caponord', the factory has instilled hope that the 1200 will be an Adventure bike, moved along 12 years from the original.
But you're right - the new "Capo-not" ISN'T an Adventure bike, any more than the MonoStrada is - if it needs a tag, it's a Sport-Tourer as you mentioned - and more a replacement for the Futura than the original Caponord.
Your exclusion of the GS & Stelvio is logical - if you're never going to see dirt roads, why pay for a motorcycle that's made to tackle them? But I think you can therefore also exclude the Triumph Explorer (and the Yam Super-10) from your list too - on the grounds of weight, if nothing else. Which leaves the Triumph 800: an extremely competent machine; my 6'4" buddy recently shipped his Tiger 800 to England and spent 6 weeks touring around - with his 6'1" wife and their luggage - and the journey was fine, the bike performed faultlessly - and now it's home, he still loves it. While his bike was on the water, he borrowed my wife's Caponord - and said he liked it, but not enough to have one as a second bike. In fact, she's decided the Capo is a more motorcycle than she needs and is angling to borrow the Tiger for a weekend... I suspect I'll be learning about a whole new set of foibles soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #69
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
More abbreviated first ride reports starting to come in:

Quote:
This week I was in Sardinia for the press launch of the all new Aprilia Caponord 1200 and WOW they have produced a stunner!

Aprilia have slotted a 1200cc V twin engine into a new lightweight frame and developed a host of sophisticated electronics; ride by wire system with three engine maps; switchable two channel ABS; traction control (ATC) with three user settings; Aprilia Dynamic Damping (ADD) with 4 predefined spring preload positions and a very nifty automatic setting where the bike works out the loading and sets the damping accordingly.

There's also a very effective cruise control (ACC) which holds the desired speed up or down hill without having to adjust the throttle.

A height adjustable windshield for better wind protection. Even the exhaust silencer is height adjustable to give more ground clearance when the styled panniers have been removed and you fancy a back road scratching session!
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/co...nord-1200.html
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #70
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post

Late for what? It isn't like if everyone that wanted an Adventure Tourer already had got one, and even if that was the case, bike get old and replaced with new shiny bikes.

I can bet you the ADV Tourer segment will go strong for at least another 10 years, just like the Sport Tourers did back in the 90s to the mid 2000s.

Or just like the Cute-UTEs, that are going strong after 20 years... SUVs turned into cute UTEs, just like ADV bikes are turning into ADV Tourers, and the trend doesn't show any signs of stopping or at least getting any weaker.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #71
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Which leaves the Triumph 800: an extremely competent machine; my 6'4" buddy recently shipped his Tiger 800 to England and spent 6 weeks touring around - with his 6'1" wife and their luggage - and the journey was fine, the bike performed faultlessly - and now it's home, he still loves it. While his bike was on the water, he borrowed my wife's Caponord - and said he liked it, but not enough to have one as a second bike. In fact, she's decided the Capo is a more motorcycle than she needs and is angling to borrow the Tiger for a weekend... I suspect I'll be learning about a whole new set of foibles soon.
The Tiger 800 is definitely on my short list. I do wonder if it will seem underpowered after the Fut?? I really want to ride a 1050 Sport...too bad we won't see it on this side of the pond!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #72
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
The Tiger 800 is definitely on my short list. I do wonder if it will seem underpowered after the Fut?? I really want to ride a 1050 Sport...too bad we won't see it on this side of the pond!
94bhp, about 60ftlb torque, triple?

I think it will be just fine

But the 1050 looks very good at the price; I don't know why Triumph wouldn't import it to the USA.
IBA #40578

Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #73
w72315
woody

Oddometer: 113
I always am amused by people who critercise a bike when they have never ridden it. Or, "A mate told me. blah blah blah". The proof is in the riding, is it not?

I'm not defending or ridiculing the new Caponord, I just want to ride one before I make any sort of judgement. And with all due respect to the Motorcycling journos, until I put my own backside on a bike I will use their comments as a guide and nothing more.

I remember a few years back looking at a Multistrada and not thinking a lot of it as I was riding a KTM950A at the time. Then I had the opportunity to ride one for an extended period and it was surprize. It was a lot more capable than I expected.

Also, I have heard judgement on lack of protection, fuel economy, ergo's, styling etc etc etc etc..............
Guys, aren't we adventure riders? We fettle, we modify, we build, we adapt.

cheers Andrew
(also known as Capoandrew)
w72315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #74
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by w72315 View Post
cheers Andrew
(also known as Capoandrew)
Not that that name tips your hand or anything..

Signed, SuperDukeRaymond
IBA #40578

Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #75
w72315
woody

Oddometer: 113
Yeah, but even though I love my Caponord 1000, I know it's limitations.
w72315 is offline   Reply With Quote