Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #76
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Late for what? It isn't like if everyone that wanted an Adventure Tourer already had got one, and even if that was the case, bike get old and replaced with new shiny bikes.

I can bet you the ADV Tourer segment will go strong for at least another 10 years, just like the Sport Tourers did back in the 90s to the mid 2000s.

Or just like the Cute-UTEs, that are going strong after 20 years... SUVs turned into cute UTEs, just like ADV bikes are turning into ADV Tourers, and the trend doesn't show any signs of stopping or at least getting any weaker.
The segment is crowded even if the market is growing. Aprilia still has a lot of uphill slogging to accomplish (certainly so in North America) if this bike is to establish a foothold against the competition, and I suggest that to think otherwise is to under-estimate what amounts to a late start in re-establishing this model, not to mention the disappointing sales results of other really great bikes Aprilia has produced including the RSV series that consistently confounds in respect to it's failure to sell through despite it's sterling reputation and reviews. Perhaps the innate qualities of the bike will be so undeniable that Aprilia will power through and sell a boat load, but if anything is at question (in my mind) it is the lack of recognition the brand suffers with. And that in a nutshell is what I mean by "late to the party."

I don't think my observation is that out of line or even that difficult to arrive at, but honest opinions can vary and yours may be the one that sticks in the end. My observation is not original to me. It has been expressed by a number of Aprilia dealers in the USA who have been stung before by good products that failed to meet their sales goals.

You should not misunderstand my sentiment though. I'm optimistic about this bike and agree with w72315 that judgments should be withheld until the bike actually arrives on the scene.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #77
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Little less prognostication and a little more on-the-road action:

That rider is a lot more daring with his knees in denim than I am.

And mods, still think it's a good idea to move this to Road Warriors, this ain't a Beast.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #78
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post

And mods, still think it's a good idea to move this to Road Warriors, this ain't a Beast.
Fun video.

I'm not sure how informative it really is (bike sounds good in between the clicking of the camera), but I now know that this test rider has a 34" inseam.

More seriously, most of the adaptive suspensions are connected by cable from the top of the fork back to a CPU. This bike doesn't seen to have that (or it isn't visible from this angle). I wonder if this bike has a "standard" suspension.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #79
Croak
Studly Adventurer

I've read about a dozen different first ride reports from the Sardinia press launch now, and they all mention that the test bikes were all Travel Pack/ADD-equipped.

The ADD servo for the front suspension is only on one fork leg, the left:

Oh, and most of those foreign language articles mention that the bike goes on sale end of this month in the EU. They also mention that the press launch is a long one, running for over a week and ending March 21 (with different journos there each day), and it looks like the Italian press got the first few days, so there's still a bit of lag before the English-speaking press articles start to appear.

Croak screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 02:20 PM
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #80
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Picture with top box (sure looks like the same optional unit found on the Norge)

GPS mounting looks sensible (other than the TomTom Rider choice):

That gadget on the top clamps is a fancy iPhone mount. Evidently there's an app that interfaces with the Ape's electronics to make for a pretty comprehensive trip and diagnostic computer. Fluff, but hey.

And here's a good series of forum posts (in Italian, let Google Translate do the heavy lifting) about the press launch and the writer's impressions of the bike after riding (and the source of those pictures above).

http://lnx.caponordforum.com/forum/v....php?f=15&t=70
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #81
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:

jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #82
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Here's another from the same day, same route, front mounted camera. It's raw video from freelancer Tor Sagem (which is the best kind from him, before the horrible music is injected).

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #83
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Thanks, Croak.

I think all the Italian bikes OEM from Givi (it sure seems that way) so the panniers and boxes are bound to look alike.

The article was certainly very, very positive. As a Multistrada rider, features that caught my attention were cruise control and the blue tooth connectivity.
It also looks like they have taken a somewhat different path in controlling the semi-active suspension. He praises the aerodynamics (I'm not surprised, Aprilia does a generally excellent job with that) which is something of a sore point with some of the competition.

The translation made for some difficulty (and the usual potential for humor ) and there were some areas of subjective praise that are hard to quantify, but overall it sounds like the gang in Noale have done a very thorough job in building a sport tourer in the modern idiom.

It will be very interesting when the English/American press....and the first owners....get their hands on this machine. The feature set is certainly there. It sounds like we may not see bikes here for a while though.

I intend to ride one when they become available here and would love to see Aprilia upset the apple cart with this bike that has been damned with faint praise since the outset, and before anybody has had a chance to even ride it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #84
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
It will be very interesting when the English/American press....and the first owners....get their hands on this machine. The feature set is certainly there..
First full review might be in MCN (UK) tomorrow. Their tester was impressed, according to the website.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #85
Croak
Studly Adventurer

A couple more favorable reviews from the non-English speaking press.

From Spain:
http://motos.coches.net/noticias/aprilia/caponord/1200/

Another Italian:
http://www.red-live.it/test/test-mot...caponord-1200/

A bit of French (actually more than a bit, this is a comprehensive and sometimes critical, dense 6-page look at the bike):
http://www.moto-net.com/actualites-m...n-Aprilia.html

And another French report:
http://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/e...onord-1200.php

And this select quote from a Greek site (bolding mine):
Quote:
And when we got on the bike and started the turns (not told to finish), the semi-active suspension ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping) at once transformed the Caponord, from Sport-Touring in ... SUPERBIKE-Touring ! No exaggeration. Only events. semi-active suspension works incredibly well, making it currently the most impressive technology in the field, with the most readily discernible effects on the behavior of a motorcycle!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #86
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Sick of me yet?

No? Good.

Here's an edited version from Tor Sagem (complete with music and bad titles), with some snippets from the video a couple posts back combined with fresh footage, along with his thoughts on the bike (at 4:00). Also includes some quotes from Aprilia engineers at the press briefing, notably talking about Skyhook ("I don't want to tell you about miracles, because this is not the truth."), and even a little bit of stand-up-off-pavement riding at 8:48 (why, I don't know, but it's there).

Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #87
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,542
Still grinds on both sides then: needs longer shocks and a 19" front wheel.....
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #88
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Still grinds on both sides then: needs longer shocks and a 19" front wheel.....
Take off the center stand and problem solved, that's what's appears to be touching down. And you shave off a couple kilos in the process. :)

Or leave it on for convenience and not worry about it dragging if you're flogging it over that far occasionally. Or, you know, move your weight on the bike a bit so you don't need to lean it as far to make the same corner at the same speed.

But I damn sure wouldn't be putting even taller pogo-sticks and tall, skinny ass wheels on the front. Then it'd be a BMW or KTM or something, and we don't need any more of those.

Could be the "hero blobs" on the pegs touching down, for that matter, which is a one minute job to correct.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #89
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,542
Quote:
Take off the center stand and problem solved, that's what's appears to be touching down. And you shave off a couple kilos in the process. :)

Or leave it on for convenience and not worry about it dragging if you're flogging it over that far occasionally. Or, you know, move your weight on the bike a bit so you don't need to lean it as far to make the same corner at the same speed.
I don't think it's the centre-stand - that's usually a much harder hit - on the real Caponord it's very solid and deflects the bike off line - touch that down and you KNOW it!
The pegs have hero-bumps on them and I think that's most likely the first part to touch down - I'd hope so, anyway; of course once those are worn away, well there's the sidestand on the left (I still have most of my original one).
Since I fitted RallyRaid suspension (and stand) I haven't had these issues - first thing to touch now is the handlebars, closely followed by my head....
My wife still drags her Capo's sidestand occasionally though.

Quote:
But I damn sure wouldn't be putting even taller pogo-sticks and tall, skinny ass wheels on the front. Then it'd be a BMW or KTM or something, and we don't need any more of those.
No, it'd be a real Caponord, instead of the CapoNot it is now - just another MonoStrada clone.... and we so don't need any more of those!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #90
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
No, it'd be a real Caponord, instead of the CapoNot it is now - just another MonoStrada clone.... and we so don't need any more of those!
Actually, we don't have enough of those.

It's clearly not your cup of tea, since you seem to have a strong disdain for any pavement-oriented motorcycle, perfectly understandable with you practically living in the bush and all, and with Australian laws and road revenue generation what it is these days. But then again there's no shortage of bikes that fit your criteria to one degree or another.

Personally, I like the concept of the Multistrada, think it's the greatest thing since sliced cheese, as it does suit my type of riding, as a person who's spent maybe an hour on dirt bikes off-road, but decades on sport bikes on the road and track.

Because of that, I'd never even CONSIDER owning an ETV1000. Rode a couple, and just like any other big ADV bike, they're simply not for me where I ride and the way I like to ride. So personally I'm GLAD they're not trying to simply update that old mule, nice as it was for what it was at the time.

Anyway...while I like the idea of a (relatively) light, upright, fairly naked, road-only Sport Tourer with high-tech suspension and a big twin, I'm not a fan of spending that much dosh on one, or dealing with the local Ducati dealerships and ownership experience in general, and I still haven't come to terms with the styling either.

Besides the Ducati, there's not much else in that class...downmarket in features you have the aging Tiger 1050 that's no longer being imported into North America, the Versys 1000 that's only available in Canada, makes my eyes bleed and is an I4, and then all the 600-700 pound, saddled with shaft drive road buffalos like the FJR, C14, Trophy, etc.

Prior to the Caponord 1200 details coming clear, the new 1190 Adventure came real close to fitting my personal shopping list but loses points for the ugly, bulky, wide top loading panniers, loses a few more points for garish decals and colour choices, another few points for lack of local support here, and then throws the score sheet right out the window with 19" fronts and 170 rears (though it is wider than most rubber found on that class of bikes, and if the Capo 12 didn't come along it'd be top of my short list still).

On the other hand, I've loved my Aprilia ownership experience, get along with the local dealers and get a warm fuzzy having AF1 as a resource as well. The bike ticks all my boxes and comes from a marque I have faith in. The fact that it'll come in well under $20 grand here is also very attractive.

EDIT: Just saw the Australian pricing for the Caponord 1200:

Quote:
Aprilia has revealed full details of its all-new Caponord 1200 V-twin, with the machine to go on sale in June, 2013 for $20,990 (plus on-road costs).
Assuming that's the price of the base model (ABS, TC, but without active suspension and panniers), it's still a significant savings over the base price of $23,000 AUD for the base Multistrada with ABS and manual Sachs suspension. It's $29,000 AUD for the Multistrada 1200 Touring S model with Skyhook, so one could expect at least $3k AUD savings on the uplevel model as well.

To put that in perspective, the US pricing for the Multi is $16,995 USD for the base model, and $19,995 for the Touring S, which if the pricing holds constant means around $13,000 USD for the base Capo 12, and somewhere around $17,000 USD for the Travel Pack version.

Croak screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 09:36 PM