Oddometer: 9,998
Plasti-dip?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
coppertop
occasional meanderthal

Oddometer: 244
Does it sweat?

I bought a set of snap-on screwdrivers back in the 80's. Black plastic handles. One of the set (of six or seven) started sweating an acrid fluid from the handle a few years ago. Funny that none of the others do it. Whatever it is, it will eats the paint in the bottom of the tool drawer. No obvious change in the surface texture or hardness of the handle, either.
coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #33
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
If you use craftsman tools as a part of your job as a professional mechanic of some sort be careful telling them that. I have been turned down for warranty more than once when they found out I was a mechanic by trade. Some bs about how craftsman does not warranty their tools for professional daily use or some such thing.

Now that is a major BS from Sears employee if yo ask me. I've never had any issue with exchanging them tools. I have a set of Craftsman screw drivers that says "Professional" on the handles.

What would they do on them if I were there in your Sears?
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Sharpen them for ice picks. Or throw them away!!!! I live next door to a Mac Tool Truck, I have Snap, Mac, Craftsman. Snap are the Bomb! The rest are just that the Rest! You can remove a screw that the others have ruined. Don't be fooled if you go to a Mech/Tech that is using them go elsewhere! He's damaging more than he's fixing.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #35
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 947
This thread is interesting... my toolchest is in my bedroom* and when I open the screwdriver drawer, the whole damn room smells. Some of them are 20+ years old, and I always thought I was stuck with that smell. Didn't know there were options (although, I never bothered to research it- never even knew the plastic was the culprit).

*Yes, in my bedroom. (And, I'm in my 40's and live with my gf.) But, it's a small NYC apt, and not much room for anything. I have other tools where I park my bikes.
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #36
mixxedupmedia
Believes in mahogany

Oddometer: 141
So that's what that smell is! I thought maybe the cat had pissed on my tools when I wasn't looking. Damn, never thought I would find the answer to that mystery. ADV rocks!

--MixxedUpMedia
mixxedupmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #37
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Screwdrivers are made by Wiha. Craftsman "screwdrivers" stink literally and figuratively..

http://issuu.com/wihatools/docs/wiha...ine&mode=embed
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
twinjet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
I bought a set of snap-on screwdrivers back in the 80's. Black plastic handles. One of the set (of six or seven) started sweating an acrid fluid from the handle a few years ago. Funny that none of the others do it. Whatever it is, it will eats the paint in the bottom of the tool drawer. No obvious change in the surface texture or hardness of the handle, either.
That happened about 15 years a go to the Snap-on screwdrivers I bought in the 70's. By year 2000 the worst ones looked like burnt charcoal. I asked Snap-on about them and they replaced them with their 2012 equivalents (red and grey handles).
twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
ExTex OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thank all of you for your ideas and humor. ... Well worth the $3.50 I paid for the tools & ammo box.

I have the screwdrivers airing out in my wife's scooter garage... fortunately her ability to smell is weak.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #40
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 315
never tried this... but just had one of those connections pop in the head while reading. Anyone try boiling them?

I say this because I read, on these forums actually, about a guy who's father was a materials engineer or something or other and his father said most plastics can be restored to factory-fresh by a dip in boiling water. Never tried it... just one of those data points I filed away.

No idea if it would stop smell from something that smells as factory-fresh... though my new Craftsman drivers don't seem to smell that I can recall. I've had a few other older tools with that smell, but nothing recent. I do have an old Xcelite at work that does smell. Maybe I'll take it home and give it the boil treatment this weekend to see what happens. Yeah, just run up a pot on the hotplate in the shop and try a few items... see what kind of soup I can make.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #41
busterz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm glad I read this. I thought that I was the only one whose screw driver drawer smelled like dog poop. I bought the Sears black handled ones but I dont like the tips on the phillips ones - they dont fit near as well. Guess you just have to hold your nose when you get one out.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #42
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Hey me too! I thought i left old oil that had gone rancid on them... my whole toolbox reeks and its a bit rolling one.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote