User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Snoqualmie Summit Ride and RESCUE!

Mmm. I roll over, it's a good day, sun out. Oh crap, I missed my alarm. Fumbling for clock, I realize it's only 6:58am. Two minutes before my alarm is set for. Awesome, I hate waking to an alarm. Siri, Cancel my 7:00am alarm. Long hot shower, put on cold weather gear, walk dog. Ural fires up, and I hit the road.

It's a bit cool, but the sun is out, music is blaring though my helmet and I'm heading east on I-90 at a blistering 65mph. Nearing Issaquah and the sun is hiding behind the clouds. I reach down and turn up my Gerbing heated gear, and I'm reminded of a cozy camp fire. I'm now climbing up towards the pass, going by Northbend. What the hell, is that... snow... Why yes indeed it is, snow falling, not a lot, but snow for sure. Still climbing, road sign warns to slow to 50 as there is slush on the road. Whoa, pick-up truck spun out and state troopers are blocking the lane of traffic. But I'm on a Ural, so I cruise right on by at 65mph, slush or no slush.

Summit exit, right turn, left turn and I'm at the designated meeting place, the gas station. No rigs to be found. I'm the first or maybe the only. I pull up to the pumps, fill the tank and the spare fuel can. Head inside to pay, and two rigs pull in the pumps, Barry and Dave, I'm not alone.

We head over to the Pancake house for breakfast to and see who else shows. By 10:30 we all muster in the parking lot. Eight rigs (five Urals, a BMW, a Yamaha, and WeeStrom) and two monkeys.

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 11:39 AM
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

continued

We mount up, and find that two of our group is unable to ride with us. They say goodbye and one Ural and the Yamaha turn West for their long ride back home, on the Western side of the state. Good to meet you brothers, ride safe. The rest of us, turn east and head for FSR 4832.

Within ten minutes the slab ends and we are on the dirt. Barry is leading, with the rest following in this order, Dave (highly modified Ural), me (Ural), Mark and his wife whose name I can't remember because I'm a jerk (Ural), Glenn (DMC WeeStrom) and bringing up the rear is Jay and Tara on a DMC BMW). The ground is covered with about two inches of snow, the puddles are covered in ice, that breaks revealing muddy water. We are covering ground and ascending at a decent speed of 20-25, easy going but bumpy. Barry stops at a nice look out and we all stetch our legs a little.

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 10:16 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

continued

So we climb back on our rigs, and we're off. The trail turns, and we start descending down into the valley. We're riding a little faster now. I'm listening to my sidecar rattle and bang over every bump. I'm not seeing others having this issue. Oh well, ride onward. What the hell is Dave doing. He keeps making random jerky right turns. Oh well, ride onward. Bang, another bump rattling my rig. Then it dawns on me. Dave is flying his sidecar over every bump. Hell, I can do that. So, my ride goes much smoother, with this new technique. However, when I screw this up, I just about kill myself, but in short, this is a much better way to ride. My future monkeys can thank Dave.

Barry comes to a stop at a fork in the road. We're a little ahead of the others so Barry, Dave and I start discussing our options. Mark and Kathy arrive, and join the conversation. I'm thouroughly enjoying myself now, smiling and thinking of the excitement ahead. Jay and Tara pull up and join the conversation. Well, no Jay is taking over the conversation. Sheesh, calm down. We're all trying to talk here. Wait, what was that Jay. No, the Veestrom did not pass us. I know you're not a fan of the Urals but the Veestrom did not come close to passing us. Sheesh. Can't we just enjoy our ride. Ok, Jay, what's so important already. OH, SHIT! Jay is trying to tell us Glenn and the Veestrom are missing. Jay keeps repeating "He's off the road somewhere." U-turn, and we start racing back up the hill. We're going faster this time, staring over the embankments, searching for death and destruction. How long since we last saw him? Must be twenty minutes or more. Gawd, he could bleed out in twenty minutes. Crap, we got to find him. Onward we ride, looking more over the side of the road than at the road. No sign of him, no tracks leading off the road. Gawd, we could ride right by him and never see him. We need to organize a better search, maybe get rescue teams started this way. All i have is a crappy hiking first aid kit. Oh, look, there's Glenn, waving on the side of the road. He looks okay, but where his rig?

Barry's asking him over and over... "You okay?" "Are you hurt?" "Are you okay?" Sheesh Barry, give the guy a break. Let him breath for a second.

I get off my bike, "Hey, you okay?" Are you hurt?" "You sure you're okay?" Wow, adrenaline sucks...

The whole group gathers, and we get down asking if Glenn is okay, and now. Where's the rig?

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 10:19 AM
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

the recovery

Alright, so being the well equiped city person that I am, I grab my handy iphone and check, sweet, two bars! In my best hero voice I ask the group, "Should I call AAA?" The looks I got for Dave and Jay were priceless. I'm assuming the rest of the group looked at me the same way, but I think I closed my eyes in shame to avoid the looks. Jay rather nicely replied, "I don't think they'll come out here." I'm just thankful no one smacked me upside the head for being an idiot.

Then up step the real heros. Jay announces that he has a winch on his rig, and Dave has rope, a chain saw and a rope puller. It's like riding with a boy scout troop or something. Dave puts the chainsaw to work, and the rest chip in clearing brush and making sure he doesn't fall down the slope.

Jay tests his winch and just as you'd expect when you need it, no go. The winch is on the fritz. But having the right guy on the job, Jay gets her up and running with the tools we gather on the spot. First we secure the Weestrom to a Ural, and cut away the last of the trees hold her in place.

Then we use the rope puller to get the rig on back on its wheels.

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 10:20 AM
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Great pictures...
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

So, now Jay's up and it's his time to shine. Tara's on the bike holding it in place ( with the help of the rope Dave tied it off with) and Jay is running the winch. In unison, Jay, Tara, and Dave bring the bike up the hill side, while Barry and Glenn are down with the bike trying to keep it going straight. Well, a picture worth a thousand words...

And there she is, very little damage, considering...

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 12:01 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

And to top it all off, the Weestrom starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

We all mount up, and ride. This time, very slowly. I think we were all exhausted, and worried. We cleared the dirt, and found the slab. We gathered to discuss our options. Dave was having headlight issues so he headed home, trying to make it before dark. Glenn was starting to feel the aches and pains from his dance with the devil. Jay and Tara were hungry, and headed towards home. Mark, Kathy, Barry and I decided to hit a little more dirt before we called it a day. So off we all went our separate ways.

Our trip in the dirt was fun, but uneventful compared to earlier part of the day. In the end we all headed for home.

Unfortunately the day was not over for Mark and Kathy. They got a flat before they got home and had to work on it roadside.

In the end it was an awesome experience. Everyone rode hard, had fun, worked together, and walked away to ride again.

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 11:44 AM
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Great story and pictures. Which trails were you on?

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Excellent report and super photos. I like it, just like the Thunderbirds, creating disaster and self rescue
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
f650gsa
de la Mobra la BMW

Oddometer: 532
nice

this is awesome !
f650gsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

Let's try this video now

Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
So what was the noisy rattle coming from your sidecar?

Outstanding recovery effort, btw.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

Seabee1, the rattle is just the whole sidecar hammering against the bumps I was hitting. Not really annoying more like guilt. Beating up my new toy, and all.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
SmellyGoatBoy OP
Adventurer

Mifune, We started out on FSR 4832 and ended on 4948. I think we hit a few others in between, but mostly those two. We had planned a much longer ride, but with all the time and energy that went into the recovery, we called it short.

Thanks for reading,

Chad
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #15
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 192
Seattle Sidecars and Snow

Pure Adventure.
Glad there were no injuries.
Keep those wheels turning.