User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Monty348 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Shinko Trail Pro 255

I see the Shinko Trail Pro offered at reasonable prices. Anybody have experience with them in a TRIALS application. How do they compare with Dunlop and Michelin. The price being what it is I expect to get what I pay for but I'm only a wobbly novice level rider so probably not needing X-Lites.
Monty348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty348 View Post
I see the Shinko Trail Pro offered at reasonable prices. Anybody have experience with them in a TRIALS application. How do they compare with Dunlop and Michelin. The price being what it is I expect to get what I pay for but I'm only a wobbly novice level rider so probably not needing X-Lites.
you ought to provide a link to such a tire, never heard of them...

In any (world wide) Trials and events, you have to have trials tires. if you are farting around or plain old "dirt-biking" then you can run whatever you want to, since there are no requirements...

So, as you can imagine, 99% of us will have real trials tires on our bikes, not this "shinko trail tire' you have mentioned.

BTW, you usually get what your pay for.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
you ought to provide a link to such a tire, never heard of them...

In any (world wide) Trials and events, you have to have trials tires. if you are farting around or plain old "dirt-biking" then you can run whatever you want to, since there are no requirements...

So, as you can imagine, 99% of us will have real trials tires on our bikes, not this "shinko trail tire' you have mentioned.

BTW, you usually get what your pay for.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Monty348 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Thanks Motojunky for posting the link. I should have thought to do that. Here's another link direct from Shinko. Looks a lot like Michelin's tread pattern.
http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=75

I first became aware of these due to a list of tire options on the American Beta Trials page.
http://www.americanbeta.com/node/586

Monty348 screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 11:30 AM
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,279
Did you read the comments about the tire on the same page? Most were negative, and the size is like a 3.50 x18. It looks like it is geared toward an enduro bike, quite good looking at first glance mounted on a trials rim!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Monty348 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Did you read the comments about the tire on the same page? Most were negative, and the size is like a 3.50 x18. It looks like it is geared toward an enduro bike, quite good looking at first glance mounted on a trials rim!
The Shinko page notes the size as a 110/90-18 so my guess is that it's a bit wider and shorter that an 4.00-18. None of the reviewers were riding trials bikes. It's very possible that the target customer is the enduro rider. My intent with this post is to find some trials riders who have tried this tire.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty348 View Post
The Shinko page notes the size as a 110/90-18 so my guess is that it's a bit wider and shorter that an 4.00-18. None of the reviewers were riding trials bikes. It's very possible that the target customer is the enduro rider. My intent with this post is to find some trials riders who have tried this tire.
Monty,

Hey, I was only brow beating you enough to explain that "most" of is trials competitors, although we're all in for a bargain, from time to time, have been burned way back when we bought the 1st and cheapest tires, lol.

I recall one of my beginners being sold a Dt100 type of enduro street trail tire, because the shop owner was wanting to get rid of it, for $20 less than the trials tire he had there at the time, the Pirelli at the time.

and sadly I havent seen that tire ever before, & doubt that many have.

Gasgas importer was selling some chinese tires, the brand is totally escaping me... that were X-lite knock offs, for less than 80 per rear I think? I have used those, they're getting better I think, right now they are OK, I didnt like them when it was COLDER outside, especially here in Kansas where it was almost wet or wet and COLD outside from October to march. But theknobbies last longer, and make a dam good practice tire if you ask me.

but Michelin is superior, and overkill for anyting below amature I think, but cost more that is for sure.

IMHO.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 604
Shinko

Since the subject is tires, I have a comment. I picked up a Shinko last winter, like $50 for the rear. I'm not very sensitive about tires, but this one is a spinner on sandstone. When I went to a Dunlop there was much more grip.
I just bought a set of Pirellis and had them sent to my brother, who thinks that they are made for enduro bikes to run a trials pattern. There is a new category developing, tires that look like trials but aren't. If it matters, pay attention and buy what you know.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
I have never seen anyone using a Shinko for Trials. The fact that it says TRAIL PRO in the name is probably a good indicator of the target application. There are better low cost tires for Trials,
None of the Bias ply tires will work well in a trials application - they are for enduro bikes.

Dunlops are very good rear trials tires and occasionally go on sale for about $80 shipped. They are known to work really well on dry grippy rocks.

Vee Rubber are the tires Dale sells. They are made in Thailand. I prefer the Dunlops on the rear. Vee rubber makes a great 17 inch rear tire for your kids 80cc bike. Much better than the stock Cheng-Chen that used to come on some bikes.

IRC used to be fairly cheap - very good in the wet. Seem to be pricey now - or I just havent seen them for a good price. Loved in the UK.

If I was going to spend over $100 for a rear trials tire, it would be a Michelin. X11 Good all around. The x-lights are well liked by top riders for extra feel. Seem to never go on sale though.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
19" will fit the rear of a speedway bike..
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
I have never seen anyone using a Shinko for Trials. The fact that it says TRAIL PRO in the name is probably a good indicator of the target application. There are better low cost tires for Trials,
None of the Bias ply tires will work well in a trials application - they are for enduro bikes.
The Shinko 255's are radials.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 984
that tire is a piece of shit!!!!
we have been using pirelli mt43 and my parts guy said, how about one of the new shinko's!
so we tried it! first impression- dammmm that tire is skinny when mounted, I thought it had too much air, but after checking, 10psi it dont even flatten out on the bottom like ALL other do when on the bike!
it is VERY squirmy when riding, i was behind him and could see the rear end swinging around while going down trail!!!

stay w/the trused brands!!! #1 pirelli or #2 dunlop

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
that tire is a piece of shit!!!!
we have been using pirelli mt43 and my parts guy said, how about one of the new shinko's!
so we tried it! first impression- dammmm that tire is skinny when mounted, I thought it had too much air, but after checking, 10psi it dont even flatten out on the bottom like ALL other do when on the bike!
it is VERY squirmy when riding, i was behind him and could see the rear end swinging around while going down trail!!!

stay w/the trused brands!!! #1 pirelli or #2 dunlop
So you like the Pirelli MT21 rear?

It's as squirmy in hardpack as the 244 and also has to be let down to very low pressures to get any compliance.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote