User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #3961
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
That is good news then.
I'll still hope against hope that the next bike will get Cal on the box.
The odd thing about MotoGP is that each manufacturer is trying to solve the same problem, but each want to use a unique set of equations. The math and physics are all the same. Just the order changes.
Two 90 degree v-4's executed differently for quite different results.
No matter what the next couple of years should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
I think Willing was hired for his engineering talent. He is tasked with developing a second lab bike to test against the current one. That in itself seems to indicate an open approach to new solutions (and budgets). Crutchlow is as good as anyone to ride the 2014 model - he's capable and hungry. I don't think anyone expects him to throw himself down the track, but currently he has the fire in his belly and that is desirable when you need a fresh attack.

After 5 years, Hayden needs a new challenge. Hopefully, on a Honda.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #3962
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,348
Crazy Joe says he'll be back with Pramac in 2014

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #3963
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Fans, development, choices, belief.

First off if you want to understand how passionate Audi is about racing and developing something pure for racing check out “the killer years” a documentary about group B rally cars and how the quarto came about. There was within Audi absolutely no intention to market the Quatro system for consumer cars, it was purely a racing development. That the marketing team jumped onto it at a later date is besides the matter.
http://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/heritage/motorsport.html
Some cool images of old DKW bikes here, why DKW all of a sudden ? Well is was merged with Audi
DKW is a defunct German car and motorcycle marque.
In 1932, DKW merged with Audi, Horch and Wanderer, to form the Auto Union. Auto Union came under Daimler-Benz ownership in 1957, and was then purchased by the Volkswagen Group in 1964.
SO somewhere deep in the fundament of Audi there is motorcycle heritage. BMW having their own motorcycle division will for sure also spur Audi on.
Like great battles between our hero’s the world also likes battles between opposing brands or an outsider taking it to the big boys in competition.
Australia V8 : Holden vs Ford
Nascar : Ford – Chevy etc
GP250cc : Aprillia bringing it to Honda
KTM entering and now dominating the MOTO1
We have all seen the DTM (Deutsche TourwagenMeisterschaft), Audi, Mercedes, BMW to some extent, building uber ridiculous cars just to beat eachother and keep in mind that this was a national championship only and they spent millions and then some.
So is it unimaginable that now with the suns and moons aligning we could be moving toward the best racing the world has to offer? Could it be that the CEO of Audi has a vision?
BMW possibly entering the fray of Moto GP
Suzuki coming back to GP
Aprillia going factory and not CRT?
1) German management IS performance oriented
2) Ducati has knowledge, dedication & design
Can a German/Italian combination become the best ?
Just look at the Zonda and resurrection of Lamborghini.
Have faith.
So not long now and Mercedes Benz will join BMW and Audi in Moto GP ?
MB has some motorcycle heritage too...

The Germans don't allways get it right, BMW bought Husky, not long ago and raped the brand... Pierer is propably allready designing stickers to the Ducati dirt bikes, he's gonna be selling soon... :)

kyns screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 07:35 AM
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #3964
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
One of Dean's better recent pieces...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Aug/130806pl.htm
Oh, please. It's a fluff piece he banged out in 15 minutes before rolling over and going back to sleep.

Aussie66's post is more informative and thought provoking than this trifle.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #3965
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Oh, please. It's a fluff piece he banged out in 15 minutes before rolling over and going back to sleep.

Aussie66's post is more informative and thought provoking than this trifle.
At least Dean put his name on this one.

I always wonder about the statement that a rider has never seen a track before. Like Marquez has never raced Laguna on XBox? It's not the same thing but it does give a racer some familiarity with the track. And you know they all do it.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #3966
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
One of Dean's better recent pieces...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Aug/130806pl.htm
Oh, before I read that I thought you were serious! Lol.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #3967
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Fans, development, choices, belief.

First off if you want to understand how passionate Audi is about racing and developing something pure for racing check out “the killer years” a documentary about group B rally cars and how the quarto came about. There was within Audi absolutely no intention to market the Quatro system for consumer cars, it was purely a racing development. That the marketing team jumped onto it at a later date is besides the matter.
http://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/heritage/motorsport.html
Some cool images of old DKW bikes here, why DKW all of a sudden ? Well is was merged with Audi
DKW is a defunct German car and motorcycle marque.
In 1932, DKW merged with Audi, Horch and Wanderer, to form the Auto Union. Auto Union came under Daimler-Benz ownership in 1957, and was then purchased by the Volkswagen Group in 1964.
SO somewhere deep in the fundament of Audi there is motorcycle heritage. BMW having their own motorcycle division will for sure also spur Audi on.
Like great battles between our hero’s the world also likes battles between opposing brands or an outsider taking it to the big boys in competition.
Australia V8 : Holden vs Ford
Nascar : Ford – Chevy etc
GP250cc : Aprillia bringing it to Honda
KTM entering and now dominating the MOTO1
We have all seen the DTM (Deutsche TourwagenMeisterschaft), Audi, Mercedes, BMW to some extent, building uber ridiculous cars just to beat eachother and keep in mind that this was a national championship only and they spent millions and then some.
So is it unimaginable that now with the suns and moons aligning we could be moving toward the best racing the world has to offer? Could it be that the CEO of Audi has a vision?
BMW possibly entering the fray of Moto GP
Suzuki coming back to GP
Aprillia going factory and not CRT?
1) German management IS performance oriented
2) Ducati has knowledge, dedication & design
Can a German/Italian combination become the best ?
Just look at the Zonda and resurrection of Lamborghini.
Have faith.

Now onto the great MotoGP riders.
Getting a bit tired of the “greatest development rider of all times” “Goat” etc etc.
Forget the pipe dream, they will NEVER all ride the same bike in the same race. Is it a true comparison Lorenzo riding a Yamaha without a seamless gearbox and Marquez riding a Honda with a seamless gearbox? A Ducati with special tires made it possible for Stoner to win a championship, but was it only the tires or was it still his immense talent? We can only wish that they all entered the Guidon D’or, or an oval dirt track and even then it will be subjective.
In reality all we can say is that last year Lorenzo won, we can talk for ages about if’s and buts but the fact is he closed the championship and won. Maybe not the fastest or maybe not even the most gifted or maybe not the best bike but he won, the previous year Casey was the best, some might say he was on the best machinery bla bla, that year he won. You can compare 2012 to 2011 to any other year but it is subjective to interpretation just like the bible or the Koran. Every preacher different idea’s.
I prefer fairing bashing and brave moves, other prefer the beauty of metronomical lap times, aaaaaaaaaarwww shit if its got two wheel and an engine I am watching it. Heck I even like lawnmower racing.
We do this kind of thing because there is no Moto GP to watch.
Too yellow. Didn't read.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #3968
Mighty Kentor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post

As for my own site, I have been accused of being a Rossi fan and a Stoner fan, and of unfairly deleting comments criticizing both riders.
But this isn't your own site, and we're just a bunch of m/c lovers having fun talking about a sport we love. Chiding certain ridiers, manufacturers etc is all part of that. Remove it, or get overly sensitive about it, and you may as well unsubscribe to the internet.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #3969
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post
But this isn't your own site, and we're just a bunch of m/c lovers having fun talking about a sport we love. Chiding certain ridiers, manufacturers etc is all part of that. Remove it, or get overly sensitive about it, and you may as well unsubscribe to the internet.
Or on the other hand... remove the comments and ban the commenter. The vast majority don't want to see it and a moderated site is a competitive advantage is a sea of crap.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #3970
Zeekster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Soon the Green Flag will drop...Soon
The only time you have too much fuel...is when yer on fire...Mario Andretti
Zeekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #3971
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Whatever happens the good news is that in four days practice begins at Indy.

And we can go back to wondering if all of Ducati can stay ahead of the ART bike. We get to see if Ben is really rusty and slow, or just rusty, and fully recovered or only partially recovered.
If Marquez can bang down the lid on another racetrack and another win, or if Pedrosa or Lorenzo, or even old man Rossi can get away for one.
Then there is Cal. Maybe he can sneak in there for a few more trips to the box.

Nicky's last MotoGP race in America? Colin's?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #3972
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Can someone tell me when it is airing on TV here in the states? For some reason I can only find a rerun on Monday searching the DirectTV site.

1999 BMW Funduro
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #3973
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2013/Aug/130812a11.htm

I stream using the MotoGP subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Can someone tell me when it is airing on TV here in the states? For some reason I can only find a rerun on Monday searching the DirectTV site.

1999 BMW Funduro
Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #3974
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,012
Quote:
Krop writes an interesting op-ed on Cal's move to Ducati. Plus he tells of some interesting restructuring going on within the Ducati MotoGP effort. He expects technical improvements should be coming as a result.

http://motomatters.com/analysis/2013...chlow_s_m.html

Seems Cal did what he should, given where he is in his career. The tough thing is that he is out of sequence with the other factory rider contracts. If Cal does better than expected, he still could be shut out of the Japanese factory teams unless he has a way to quit after 2014.
good article and it reiterates, I believe, what I have said before about Dovi or Cal choosing to go to Ducati. Those guys will never IMO beat any of the current factory riders on the same bike (at this point VR being the weakest and perhaps he could be beat) so they need an equipment advantage which is only going to happen on a different team. Even if the chances are small at ducati of that happening they are still better than zero.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #3975
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Well this is interesting. The Speed channel will cease to exist Saturday and will be rebranded as Fox Sports 1.

The bad part is that DirectTV, Time Warner and Dish Network do not have a carriage agreement just five days before launch.

Fox wants to change the current 23 cents per subscriber fee to 80 cents.

Now it's time to start the MotoGP subscription methinks.

1999 BMW Funduro
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote