Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #4666
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Indy (and the State of Indiana) stepped up to the plate and is throwing money at the problems with the track (Track is currently being restructured/surfaced). Laguna wasn't a moneymaker for Dorna and never would be.

Money talks, bullshit walks.
This. COTA also has a healthy public subsidy. We should be asking whether driving costs up to wring maximum dollars from fans, tracks and teams is good for the sport. Who benefits?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #4667
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

... I dug up some more context from the MotoGP site's results archive.
One caveat: Hayden had a couple off-track excursions this year, so his time is not an accurate representation of his performance level. Still, the trend is obvious.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #4668
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
Laguna is a race track
Indy is .........a oval with a f1 course inside
been to both for the GP
Laguna wins every time hands down
^^^^^^^
and who goes to Indiana for vacation
Highway 1 on the coast is a must see/ride be there,, the only thing I want to see at Indy is the Mile but still not enough to make me go.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #4669
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
^^^^^^^
and who goes to Indiana for vacation
Highway 1 on the coast is a must see/ride be there,, the only thing I want to see at Indy is the Mile but still not enough to make me go.
We fly in from western Canada for 3 or 4 days, go to the Mile and the Endurocross and all the GP practices! No time for sightseeing and not much else to see so don't stay longer. Except that night we couldn't get a cab for 2 hrs after the Mile. The cab driver that finally stopped laughed like hell at us.

*and if you don't see The Mile, you are missing out brother.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #4670
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
Laguna is a race track
Indy is .........a oval with a f1 course inside
been to both for the GP
Laguna wins every time hands down
Rossi, in his last year on the Yamaha (the first time) exiting turn 6 headed up the hill. It was minor, but he absolutely got to and hit the wall. This was in a practice session, not the race.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #4671
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,501
French Moto-rag Moto Journal is tweeting yet another Ben Spies rumor, this one that he will be Suzuki's test rider in 2014 and race rider in 2015.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #4672
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
French Moto-rag Moto Journal is tweeting yet another Ben Spies rumor, this one that he will be Suzuki's test rider in 2014 and race rider in 2015.

I think that is the best possible outcome for Ben.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #4673
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:
Indy (and the State of Indiana) stepped up to the plate and is throwing money at the problems with the track (Track is currently being restructured/surfaced). Laguna wasn't a moneymaker for Dorna and never would be.

No amount of money could fix the 'problems' with that track.

So how does Dorna make money from a particular track? I thought they just charged a fee. Do they get a percentage of ticket sales?

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #4674
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post

So how does Dorna make money from a particular track? I thought they just charged a fee. Do they get a percentage of ticket sales?
I believe they charge a fee. When I emailed Laguna frustrated over the lack of Moto2/3 they said they couldn't afford to bring the two out. I would say that implies they're paying for MotoGP
Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #4675
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Crutchlow calls for greater engine performance

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Crutchlow+calls+for+greater+engine+performance

What the story should: I can't believe Yamaha isn't giving me better engine management systems, even though I'm leaving to a bike that is even slower than mine (currently).
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #4676
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post

Dorna charges a fee to bring in their "show." Tracks make money by selling ticket packages, vendor space and sponsorships. The track (or promoter renting the track) takes the risk, not Dorna. Laguna Seca management states it costs about nine million dollars to put on the MotoGP race. http://www.montereyherald.com/news/c...guna-seca-2014

Other series, like NASCAR sometimes share TV revenue with the tracks but I don't believe that is the model for MotoGP or any form of motorcycle racing.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #4677
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
We fly in from western Canada for 3 or 4 days, go to the Mile and the Endurocross and all the GP practices! No time for sightseeing and not much else to see so don't stay longer. Except that night we couldn't get a cab for 2 hrs after the Mile. The cab driver that finally stopped laughed like hell at us.

*and if you don't see The Mile, you are missing out brother.
My experience with IMS and Speedway police. I've been to the Indy 500 twice with my dad in the 70's. Good memories. I've been to every Indy Moto GP's (first 2, ALL 4 days), BUT now I only go to Qualifying (Saturday). Leaving the venue is a pain in the ass. I know Laguna can be the same way, BUT there's not 3 lane roads accessing it either. The Speedway police make you leave the venure to the east (3 lanes to the east, 3 lanes to the west), then north on a 1 lane road. Along this route, you see tens of police units sitting there, collecting overtime (I suspect) and doing nothing. Now the first 2 years I had hotel rooms to the west and to the south. Both times I had to ride/dog paddle my bike 4 miles out of my way. Took about 30 minutes in the rain (year 1) and about 40+ minutes in scorching (90 plus degrees) heat the next. Now if traffic control was better (letting traffic exit either direction on Crawfordsville Road) and ACTUALLY make the tens of police officers WORK in the conditions (rain or heat) they make people endure, I'd be back on race day. I think they are quite full of themselves though and that will never happen. I have not been to a race day since 2010.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #4678
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,228
Don't leave the instant the checkers are waved and you won't have a problem.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #4679
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
My experience with IMS and Speedway police. I've been to the Indy 500 twice with my dad in the 70's. Good memories. I've been to every Indy Moto GP's (first 2, ALL 4 days), BUT now I only go to Qualifying (Saturday). Leaving the venue is a pain in the ass. I know Laguna can be the same way, BUT there's not 3 lane roads accessing it either. The Speedway police make you leave the venure to the east (3 lanes to the east, 3 lanes to the west), then north on a 1 lane road. Along this route, you see tens of police units sitting there, collecting overtime (I suspect) and doing nothing. Now the first 2 years I had hotel rooms to the west and to the south. Both times I had to ride/dog paddle my bike 4 miles out of my way. Took about 30 minutes in the rain (year 1) and about 40+ minutes in scorching (90 plus degrees) heat the next. Now if traffic control was better (letting traffic exit either direction on Crawfordsville Road) and ACTUALLY make the tens of police officers WORK in the conditions (rain or heat) they make people endure, I'd be back on race day. I think they are quite full of themselves though and that will never happen. I have not been to a race day since 2010.

Brutal.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #4680
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Dorna charges a fee to bring in their "show." Tracks make money by selling ticket packages, vendor space and sponsorships. The track (or promoter renting the track) takes the risk, not Dorna. Laguna Seca management states it costs about nine million dollars to put on the MotoGP race. http://www.montereyherald.com/news/c...guna-seca-2014

Other series, like NASCAR sometimes share TV revenue with the tracks but I don't believe that is the model for MotoGP or any form of motorcycle racing.

I'm just a little confused about yooperbikemike's statement that Laguna wasn't a money maker for Dorna. I could suppose that by not bringing Moto2 and Moto3 that Laguna paid a smaller fee. I was also under the impression that Dorna wouldn't allow Moto2 and Moto3 at Laguna because the garages were inadequate. If Dorna is requiring SCRAMP to run Moto2 and Moto3 and have the garages to support it then I can see where SCRAMP would want to cancel next year. I suppose they'd need to weigh the benefits of building the garages and the potential increased ticket sales against the cost.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote