Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #691
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Great motivational words from a "high ranked Yamaha employee". Jarvis' picture should be right next to twatwaffle in the ADV terminology reference.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #692
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post

That was a pretty good interview and it seems the whole thing went down just like most of us suspected. Ben was insulted by a Yamaha executive and preempted them by telling the world he was done with Yamaha. The only fuzzy piece is how he went from wanting to go back to Superbike with either BMW or Ducati, and somehow ended up in Ducati's MotoGP bike. Must have been a lot of fast talking going on.

I am glad he didn't go back to Superbike, but he seems to still have a hankering for that paddock. It must've been fun what with Nitro Nori and all.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #693
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Ben is a smart dude , lot's of business savy learned from being around Mladdin so long.
He has unfinished business in GP and can possibly make a statement there with Ducati ( what they can deliver is the big question in my mind) .
He realised that taking a second string ride with someone else in GP was not going to cut it, probably spent some time talking with Colin Edwards if he is as smart as i think he is.

Going back to Superbike is a great fall back position if Ducati fails to get the bike right. Wonder how long his contract with them is for ??
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #694
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Ben is a smart dude , lot's of business savy learned from being around Mladdin so long.
He has unfinished business in GP and can possibly make a statement there with Ducati ( what they can deliver is the big question in my mind) .
He realised that taking a second string ride with someone else in GP was not going to cut it, probably spent some time talking with Colin Edwards if he is as smart as i think he is.

Going back to Superbike is a great fall back position if Ducati fails to get the bike right. Wonder how long his contract with them is for ??
I think he questions his skill a little in that interview. He was pretty discriptive of Lorenzo's advantages. He said he couldn't quite get the corner speed where he needed it. That he was too ragged to get the most out of his tires. He certainly ruined a few so he knew he was doing something wrong. Dovi looked smoother even though they both lapped about the same pace. It was definitely a tough season to watch for Spies fans. Watching him grab the lead at Indy and then start to slow before finally grenading the motor on the front straight...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #695
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
With his 2012 amount of bad luck, it probably became hard for him to perform well even during those few occasions when the bike was working... "Ok, what's gonna go next?" Really the whole situation sucked big time. And like he said in the interview, even though he knows there's no-one to blame, it's incredible that ALL this misfortune happened on their side of the garage.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #696
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
That's a great interview; glad to see him open up a bit. Classy IMO to wait until the dust settled. I know there were dissenters when he announced he was quitting Yamaha but it was obvious that there were reasons for the way he did it. His boss was a prick; a lot of people might have slagged the boss and Yamaha a lot on the way out.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #697
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Great motivational words from a "high ranked Yamaha employee". Jarvis' picture should be right next to twatwaffle in the ADV terminology reference.
I don't think it was Jarvis. I think it was one of the Japanese guys.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #698
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
He has said before publicly that it was NOT Jarvis.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #699
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Some interesting info there.Its interesting that Dovi and Crutchlow were able to be fast ,Dovi is smooth and a late braker,Cruthlow certainly doesnt look as smooth as Dovi and Lorenzo.
Must of been really tough for Ben.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #700
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,162
Will be very interesting to see how things go with Ducati. They have three wild riders and one who is smooth and a demon late braker.

I think we would all love to see them come up with a design that likes to be ridden fast and loose.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #701
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Another thing to consider is Ben's dislike for travel and being vocal about some of his adaptations to living in Europe for periods of time.
The Europeans take a slightly jaded view of Americans in particular who do not take great measures to adapt.
( This is from personal experience living and working in several different countries over my work career) I personally like living in Europe and would go back in a heart beat, but my wife prefers to live here.

I think Ben got better at it after he started leaving Mom at home, but that's subjective.

Colin Edwards has adapted pretty well, but he is a strange breed of dude.

Nicky Hayden also has fit in pretty well, but he has a bigger support group and from what i read sort of stays away from women . He said one time when asked about that, he always looks at them and says to himself, is she going to help my career or make me a better rider ?, or something to that effect.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #702
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Nicky Hayden also has fit in pretty well, but he has a bigger support group and from what i read sort of stays away from women . He said one time when asked about that, he always looks at them and says to himself, is she going to help my career or make me a better rider ?, or something to that effect.
The one thing you shouldn't read into is their women. Southern men who are public figures tend to protect that part of their lives. Take Tommy for example. I mean suddenly he is married...Jeepers! ...Team mates knew, but not fans. Never a clue. His woman was never a part of his public persona.

Same for a lot of these guys. I mean the ONLY rider with a public trophy is Marco Melandri!

Great viewing, though.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #703
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
The one thing you shouldn't read into is their women. Southern men who are public figures tend to protect that part of their lives. Take Tommy for example. I mean suddenly he is married...Jeepers! ...Team mates knew, but not fans. Never a clue. His woman was never a part of his public persona.

Same for a lot of these guys. I mean the ONLY rider with a public trophy is Marco Melandri!

Great viewing, though.
Yes , she is a beauty, a real Amazon compared to him
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #704
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I don't think it was Jarvis. I think it was one of the Japanese guys.
Here's hoping that guy is no longer part of the racing program. If he still is, will he offend JL or VR the same way?

I just hope Ben told that guy's boss who said what.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #705
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,439
I mean the ONLY rider with a public trophy is Marco Melandri!

RDP's is no barker!