Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
JadeRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Tiger 800xc: Questions after test ride

Howdy,
I test rode a 2012 Tiger 800xc yesterday. Bike had a about 3000 miles on it. I thought it was a great bike, but there was something rather unusual. Coming from my 2002 R1150GS, it felt like it could not quite keep what I would describe as a 'steady travel speed'. In other words, the beamer feels like a steady pulling freight train, whereas the Tiger felt like had the power coming in bursts. Had a very similar feeling to the Super Tenere I tested a week ago.
Any suggestions as to what may be behind this? I really like the Tiger and want to purchase one, but I am not sure if this is something inherent to the bike, or something that may have been wrong with this particular one.

Thanks
-- John 1:4-5 | Luke 17:24
Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRider View Post
Howdy,
I test rode a 2012 Tiger 800xc yesterday. Bike had a about 3000 miles on it. I thought it was a great bike, but there was something rather unusual. Coming from my 2002 R1150GS, it felt like it could not quite keep what I would describe as a 'steady travel speed'. In other words, the beamer feels like a steady pulling freight train, whereas the Tiger felt like had the power coming in bursts. Had a very similar feeling to the Super Tenere I tested a week ago.
Any suggestions as to what may be behind this? I really like the Tiger and want to purchase one, but I am not sure if this is something inherent to the bike, or something that may have been wrong with this particular one.

Thanks
humm, not sure.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
humm, not sure.
Yip...this 1st time I have heard this. I have ridden both bikes at length with Pillion....never had an issue.....
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,287
Another XC owner who has never experienced that. Mine's always been steady as can be.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Another XC owner who has never experienced that. Mine's always been steady as can be.
+1 Maybe have a dealer double check which map is on the bike. Any aftermarket mods without the right map could maybe cause something.

I had my last triumph Daytona drop a map on me for no reason but def don't have your issue on my new tiger. Still loving it all the way.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
The Tiger 800 has a very sensitive throttle, could that be what you are feeling? You get used to it after a couple of hundred miles and don't even think of it.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
JadeRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am thinking that Throttle sensitivity may be the answer. The GS does require quite a bit of dial. Another question. How critical is it that the previous owner 'respected the recommendations' during the break in period? What ill may come if he did not?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRider View Post
I am thinking that Throttle sensitivity may be the answer. The GS does require quite a bit of dial. Another question. How critical is it that the previous owner 'respected the recommendations' during the break in period? What ill may come if he did not?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
JadeRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Not any different than any other new bike. Is it a demo or a private owner? I would feel better about getting a private owners bike rather than a demo.
This is one sold back to the dealer.
Thing is I have always followed the prescription on the break in period, so I really have no idea what happens when you do not. :O

Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Not sure if this is relevant here, but my T800 (Roadie) was smooth and essentially perfect the first 700 miles. Then, I took it back for the initial check up and they tightened the throttle cable - which made the it really annoyingly sensitive. I haven't done anything about it (mostly due to lack of time) and I'm now about 6K in. When it goes in for service soon I intend to ask them to back off the tension on the cable a little. I liked it when it was new far better than now.

I had this exact same experience with my 1050 Tiger. Once the tension was adjusted out of the throttle cable (still snug, no play, but not too tight) it was way less touchy.

Given the one you road was at a dealer I'll be it's the cable. Maybe ask the service dept about it?
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Another Tiger owner not understanding the issue. Its got a very steady power output. It does take a few hundred miles for the hand, mind and throttle to get synchronized properly. Especially coming from BMW which is a lot different. The throttle response on the Tiger is much more immediate.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 09:02 AM
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Another Tiger own not understanding the issue. Its got a very steady power output. It does take a few hundred miles for the hand, mind and throttle to get synchronized properly. Especially coming from BMW which is a lot different. The throttle response on the Tiger is much more immediate.
I have the same opinion coming from an R1000GS. The BMW has power, but it's like riding a tractor. I found the engine to be very agricultural.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Jade-

You may just have been riding the bike too much like your GS.

The little Triumph triples need some RPMs to do their thing. If you were lugging along like on your GS perhaps you were surfing just below the motor's torque curve? I notice this more on my Tiger after riding my Ducati. The Tiger needs more RPMs to accomplish the same task. Plenty of power there if you spin it a little!

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
LotusKTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
After coming off a Wee, I thought the same thing on my 800 XC. One thing that did help was changing grips. I went with a stickier MX style grip. With the newer grip, the throttle doesn't slip in my glove at all. So the throttle seems smoother now. Of course, 9000 miles of getting used to it also helps.
But the grips really helped too.
LotusKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
JadeRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusKTM View Post
After coming off a Wee, I thought the same thing on my 800 XC. One thing that did help was changing grips. I went with a stickier MX style grip. With the newer grip, the throttle doesn't slip in my glove at all. So the throttle seems smoother now. Of course, 9000 miles of getting used to it also helps.
But the grips really helped too.
This is a good point. One of the first, best, and cheapest mods I did to the beamer was to add grip puppies.