Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRider View Post
Howdy,
I test rode a 2012 Tiger 800xc yesterday. Bike had a about 3000 miles on it. I thought it was a great bike, but there was something rather unusual. Coming from my 2002 R1150GS, it felt like it could not quite keep what I would describe as a 'steady travel speed'. In other words, the beamer feels like a steady pulling freight train, whereas the Tiger felt like had the power coming in bursts. Had a very similar feeling to the Super Tenere I tested a week ago.
Any suggestions as to what may be behind this? I really like the Tiger and want to purchase one, but I am not sure if this is something inherent to the bike, or something that may have been wrong with this particular one.

Thanks
That's what happens when you jump from a tractor into a motorcycle.

Now, kidding aside, my bike (800 XC) has never had a "twitchy" or "lumpy throttle" or anything like that which would cause what you described. My Tiger is smooth, accelerates so linearly it borders boredom. Even on gravel it is smooth on acceleration. My 848 Streetfighter was a different animal, more like what you described. Only one person of many has ever mentioned back to me that his 800XC had a "sensitive" throttle so that he needed to adjust his riding for gravel roads (to counter what someone else mentioned on this thread). My guess is that something is wrong with that bike you tested. Either that or you've been riding that BMW for too long. In that case, welcome to the new world. In a few miles you should get adjusted to it and you will notice how smooth this bike really is. Get another test ride and go longer on this next time.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
This is one sold back to the dealer.
Thing is I have always followed the prescription on the break in period, so I really have no idea what happens when you do not. :O

The typical fuel injection bike has a number of sensors that report conditions back to the ecu for the the proper mapping to be used. At steady state riding, it will be relying mostly on the oxygen sensor and the tps.

Could be an issue with one of them or perhaps the battery was disconnected or replaced. On most bikes when that happens, there is a relearning process that takes place, particularly the TPS. It will reset to the factory set value, but real life riding values may require it to adapt to something different.

There is usually a procedure to do that and in most cases just riding it allows it to occur.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion br View Post
that's what happens when you jump from a tractor into a motorcycle.

Now, kidding aside, my bike (800 xc) has never had a "twitchy" or "lumpy throttle" or anything like that which would cause what you described. My tiger is smooth, accelerates so linearly it borders boredom. Even on gravel it is smooth on acceleration. My 848 streetfighter was a different animal, more like what you described. Only one person of many has ever mentioned back to me that his 800xc had a "sensitive" throttle so that he needed to adjust his riding for gravel roads (to counter what someone else mentioned on this thread). My guess is that something is wrong with that bike you tested. Either that or you've been riding that bmw for too long. In that case, welcome to the new world. In a few miles you should get adjusted to it and you will notice how smooth this bike really is. Get another test ride and go longer on this next time.
+1
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
After 30,000 miles on the klr I tried to stand up on the tiger. It was comfortable until I gave it gas in first gear, which just about threw me off the back. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike or throttle, just not used to the power. I do find the throttle to be twitchy, but in a good way.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

The klr throttle response uses a carrier pigeon between the throttle and engine. The Tiger is much more refined. It becomes normal after you get used to it. Coming from a BMW 650 it took a bit for my brain my hand and the engine to get calibrated. I love it and would never go back. The engine is so sweet.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 06:56 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
JadeRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I am going out for another test ride tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed. I am gearing up to take the plunge
-- John 1:4-5 | Luke 17:24
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I would be curious why the original owner sold the bike back to the dealer with only 3,000 miles on it. Maybe he had the same problem.

The typical fuel injection bike has a number of sensors that report conditions back to the ecu for the the proper mapping to be used. At steady state riding, it will be relying mostly on the oxygen sensor and the tps.

Could be an issue with one of them or perhaps the battery was disconnected or replaced. On most bikes when that happens, there is a relearning process that takes place, particularly the TPS. It will reset to the factory set value, but real life riding values may require it to adapt to something different.

There is usually a procedure to do that and in most cases just riding it allows it to occur.
Dude you've been lurking on the Tiger threads for over a year. Just break down and sale the F800GS and get one. Its cool we'll let you in the "community". Tons of beemer refuges on our side of the fense.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Dude I read a lot of the bike threads and post on others, so you are not special.

Riding and wrenching for close to 50 years (70 next month). Ridden in all the western states. The 2 previous ADV bikes I own/ed prior the BMW were low volume bikes with no aftermarket. It is surprising what you can mix and match to build a better bike. But it does require a little searching on some of the forums.

Good people here, but too much chest beating and not enough technical info anymore.

I tell you why this one caused me to post. The OP is looking to spend some considerable coin on a used bike. What he described in his first post sounds like surging to me.

The bikes are noted for their smoothness. This one sounds like it is not.
You may not think it odd that some one sells a bike with 3,000 miles back to the dealer, but I do. Dealers pay wholesale and the owner must have taken a bath.

There is a recall on some the earlier bikes on the mapping. They solve a fueling issue, though not exactly the same, but it could be.

There may be a good explanation for all of it, but no one asked. Does not really matter how good other peoples bikes are, it is this one the OP is buying.

I do the same in Parallel universe. You can tell him to just buy it, if you want. I think a fellow rider deserves more than that. If I decide to quit posting in the Triumph threads, it won't be because I dislike the bike.

I hope it turns out well for him. It is a good bike. I like mine, but it is modded like most of the ones I have owned.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:01 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #24
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Dude I read a lot of the bike threads and post on others, so you are not special.

Riding and wrenching for close to 50 years (70 next month). Ridden in all the western states. The 2 previous bikes I own/ed prior the BMW were low volume bikes with no aftermarket. It is surprising what you can mix and match to build a better bike. But it does require a little searching on some of the forums.

Good people here, but too much chest beating and not enough technical info anymore.

I tell you why this one caused me to post. The OP is looking to spend some considerable coin on a used bike. What he described in his first post sounds like surging to me.

The bikes are noted for their smoothness. This one sounds like it is not.
You may not think it odd that some one sells a bike with 3,000 miles back to the dealer, but I do. Dealers pay wholesale and the owner must have taken a bath.

There is a recall on some the earlier bikes on the mapping. They solve a fueling issue, though not exactly the same, but it could be.

There may be a good explanation for all of it, but no one asked. Does not really matter how good other peoples bikes are, it is this one the OP is buying.

I do the same in Parallel universe. You can tell him to just buy it, if you want, I think a fellow rider deserves more than that. If I decide to quit posting in the Triumph threads, it won't be because I dislike the bike.

I hope it turns out well for him. It is a good bike. I like mine, but it is modded like most of the ones I have owned.
Dude you don't owe me an explanation I've read your posts and i'm familiar with you and just think you should come over. You know you want to. Folks are proud of there tigers for a reason.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
JadeRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Hey brothers. I appreciate the advise from all. I know it is always well meaning. So here is what I have learned today. This is, of course, the dealer story. However, I must say that I have been visiting these guys for years, getting some service done, and test driving bikes. They always treat me with respect, and seem to be happy to just spend time.
This unit was purchased by a guy for his son. It was supposed to be a bonding gesture. Sadly that did not happen, and bike is now under consignment. I will have a much more extensive test tomorrow. Will report on the result.
I do truly appreciate the advise and words coming from all of you inmates.

-- John 1:4-5 | Luke 17:24
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Hey brothers. I appreciate the advise from all. I know it is always well meaning. So here is what I have learned today. This is, of course, the dealer story. However, I must say that I have been visiting these guys for years, getting some service done, and test driving bikes. They always treat me with respect, and seem to be happy to just spend time.
This unit was purchased by a guy for his son. It was supposed to be a bonding gesture. Sadly that did not happen, and bike is now under consignment. I will have a much more extensive test tomorrow. Will report on the result.
I do truly appreciate the advise and words coming from all of you inmates.

2) Why not just get a new one? Not trying to cast doubt on your deal but going back to your previous concern about break in. How old was this son? If he was a teenager then I might would pass given your previous concerns. I really wouldnt give it much thought if the original owner was an adult.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Dude you don't owe me an explanation I've read your posts and i'm familiar with you and just think you should come over. You know you want to. Folks are proud of there tigers for a reason.
Thousands of ex-F800 owners agree!
Seriously, though, when he's not wasting air over the F800 he does make some pretty good points.
And last but not least......Our 800 is better than their 800!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Thousands of ex-F800 owners agree!
Seriously, though, when he's not wasting air over the F800 he does make some pretty good points.
And last but not least......Our 800 is better than their 800!

Yeah smart guy riding the wrong 800
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 839
When I first got mine I thought the throttle was touchy, but I was coming from bikes with carbs. I think the tight engine during break in might have been a small part of it. I had to take all of the slack out of the throttle cables and then it got smoother for me (less delay if you roll past the closed position). I think it was mainly a fuel injection vs carb difference for me. I am not sure if after break in it got better, but I do not notice it anymore. The "connection" between the brain and the wrist was probably most of it. I would describe my initial impression after my first ride as being exactly like the OP's on the touchy and does not want to maintain speed easily issue... The bike does have a very responsive FI system and it will take some time for some to get used to it. I figured I'd post since no other owners can say they have had the same issue.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
When I first got mine I thought the throttle was touchy, but I was coming from bikes with carbs. I think the tight engine during break in might have been a small part of it. I had to take all of the slack out of the throttle cables and then it got smoother for me (less delay if you roll past the closed position). I think it was mainly a fuel injection vs carb difference for me. I am not sure if after break in it got better, but I do not notice it anymore. The "connection" between the brain and the wrist was probably most of it. I would describe my initial impression after my first ride as being exactly like the OP's on the touchy and does not want to maintain speed easily issue... The bike does have a very responsive FI system and it will take some time for some to get used to it. I figured I'd post since no other owners can say they have had the same issue.
+1 for F.I. bikes. I had a FE390, a WeeStrom and now a 1050 Tiger. They were all touchy and could get scary off road if you weren't careful and aware when giving it a bit of throttle or just hitting a bump. Touchy, snatchy, snappy whatever or however you feel it.

Get a G2 Ergonomics throttle cam and problem solved. It reduces the amount of pull in the first 1/4 or 3/8 throttle action for an easier smoother ride. I could control the FE390, the Wee stopped acting like it was stalling when I hit a bump and the 1050 is not scary any more, very compliant but just grab handful and hang on . On the 1050 I could have taken a hacksaw and machined a ramp or taper for the cable the first 1/4 of the plastic throttle cam and acomplished the same thing. It is easy to do but they do not make them for all applications. Most all OE throttle cams are plastic.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote