User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wink an absolute noob buys Aprilia 250. Falls off

So my friend and main job provider has all kinds of toys including a 125cc Yamaha Typhoon.

One day after work he said, jump on and take it around a block...
So I did...

Sorry for the outfit, was working

A though of buying a motorcycle or a scooter had visited my noggin a year before. It had totally returned when I jumped on my friends scooter and took off. I was amazed by how easy it was to ride, how light it felt and steered. Just the whole 3min experience sold me on the idea of having one.

I had driven my car seven days a week and while I carry equipment on the weekends, I'm almost always alone in a large four door sedan dragging this huge weight to work like a motorized hermit crab.

I really felt shitty driving this boring heavy box around all by myself. Putting a lot of miles and slowly wearing the suspension on every bump.

So I went to Craigslist and with my friends help I found many Fly 150's and Zuma 125's.

Without many responses and some high mileage and modded scoots around NYC and Queen's area I kept looking.

Then this Aprilia 250 greeted me with a big bright Borinquena flag spray painted on its cut down windshield.

So I picked it up with 7300 miles and in a very nice condition.
Got it registered, got my permit and insured it.

Second day of riding on it, take it out for a small errand onto a busy Jericho Tpky and few blocks from work a lady in a big SUV...
pulls out from being parked without a blinker to do a U-turn across two lanes, double yellow.

Since I'm literally clueless, I beep and start to brake. But she's continuing with the U-turn so I panic and turn to the slow lane either too abruptly or without releasing the front brakes fully.
Anyways I end up sliding for quite a bit with the scooter on my leg :)

Gladly I softened the scooters fall quite a bit with myself, so it did not get much damage. Just a few tiny scratches and a few broken clips on a plastic piece. I myself just got a bloody leg which is almost healed up.

The lady stopped on the other side of the road. Saw that I stood up (with some help from old ladies from a hair salon - talk about embarrassing) and then she drove off as I reached to get the scooter off the ground.

So a very important lesson learned, I went on riding the next day with a very swollen and immobile ankle.

Since then I've ridden every day to work except the weekends when I carry equipment in my car.

Been driving all around Long Island with any time I would have before or after work. One day ended up riding for five hours around the North Shore.

On a damp, cold day.

Today I tried to see how it is in the rain, and was amazed at how dry I arrived at work. I am frikking addicted to this thing.

In the two weeks I put over 500 miles and can't wait to go Adventuring. On Memorial day after a busy day I drove to Queens to join my friend who got me into scooters, and ended up on my first Highway adventure :O

So hello everyone! This is me - Nimajus or Neo. I'm waiting for a real helmet to ship any day now and then will want to venture further from home.

P.S. I want to say a big thanks to Klaviator for his amazing Aprilia Sport City Review and just posting all the stuff showing that a scooter like this is such a capable bike to go everywhere. Thanks!

Nimajus screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 01:23 PM Reason: Fixing photo size
Nimajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Welcome to the forum. You picked a good scooter that you won't outgrow very soon.

As for crashing it.......join the club. At least it crashes pretty well
Don't ask me how I know

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 652
congrats and welcome! the sportcity 250 is awesome, and is pretty much the ideal scooter, in my eyes. (i traded up to a bv350 because i need more highway power, but the sportcity 250 was just enough lighter and more flickable to be irresponsible fun.)
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Welcome to Adv; Welcome to the SC250 Crew; and welcome to the SC crash club!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Don't worry, 99.999999% of the time, you either gone down or your fixin' to!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,539
I've been down only once, when I was literally sideswiped by a Suburban while legally riding my 50cc moped on the shoulder. The idiot driving the Suburban was actually trying to pass on the shoulder, and didn't see me in time. Unfortunately it was a bit more serious. I didn't stand up. I spent a week in the hospital, and was off work for nearly 2 months, with another month on light duty. I still have permanent injuries form that accident.

I would not ride wearing that German helmet, at least get a decent (though it does not have to be expensive, just DOT certified) full face helmet. And make sure everything is covered, long sleeved shirt/jacket, long pants, solid shoes/boots that won't come off, and gloves. I am not into the ATGATT thing, but I won't recommend against it either.

Best of luck with your new scoot. You might also want to check into taking the MSF course if you are a new rider. And remember, anything out there on 4 wheels really is out to get you.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
love riding my SC.
I just hate looking at it.

I am not a fan of its style but I like everything else about it.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
You couldn't find a real helmet in the entire NYC area ?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Would not surprise me.
Even in Houston its hard to get riding gear retail.

I have been in JP motorcycles in Denver and holy smokes that is a place with some friggin gear..I think it was JP
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Apparently this is going to be a hard core rider. Goes out the first day, tries a major highway, drops it, lets it chew his leg up and doesnt give a shit and keeps going.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing and keep posting pictures. In a world filled with nannies you are a breath of fresh air. Well done.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

So been very busy with work...
My car has been very busy collecting dust... while my scooter collecting miles on the odometer.

This weekend I went over 9000 miles! I'm almost at 2000 miles since I got this scooter! WOOOO

I can't believe how versatile this thing is. Yesterday I rode to Manhattan to meet a client; and even though my 250 has a very small storage compartment. I managed to fit a dSLR camera, a vodka bottle and a messenger bag under the seat.

It was raining the whole day and it really was not that bad. Highway and traffic is not that bad. And even though I get a little wet it's still SOOO MUCH more fun than sitting in the damn car.

The new helmet makes a huge difference, and cruising at 70 on the highway feels quite good. I even drove wearing the suit to work the other day

I also put back the little cut-down windscreen back on after painting over the flag. But I'll have to do maintenance on the scooter soon.
The belt seems to be a little loose, especially on 'low gear' or should I say low part of the cone.... I don't know how to describe it.

Anyways so this is what I want to ask you Battle Scooterists...
How difficult is it to change the belt, I could go to my friend and borrow his tools, he has impact gun I think which is needed. Or should I take it to the dealer? Any idea what that should cost?

The thing is that I want to go to Texas for the formula 1 race in early November; and I really want to take the scoot over there.
I figured I could do 4 hours of driving, then take a break, do sightseeing. Then drive 3 more. This way 7 hours a day is not a bad progress and I could see more of this country.

I need to figure out storage situation and gas canister. Also is there a reason I don't see too many photos of bikers traveling with a backpack on these trips? Any advice would be appreciated.

Nimajus screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 12:16 PM
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Glad to see you are enjoying your Sport City.

To answer the questions in your last post, I replaced my belt, rollers, and sliding blocks myself at 11,500 miles. I adjusted the valves at the same time. I documented all this in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695285
This procedure starts around post #70.
It was a pita and I did have to get some extra tools although I did not get all the special Aprilia tools. If you are going to replace the belt, you might as well to the rollers, sliding blocks and check the valves at the same time. It's not easy to do but will save you a ton of money.

As for storage, the easiest solution is a tail trunk. The sport city can carry quite a bit of stuff. Here's pic of mine on a trip with all my camping gear:

I also had a bag on the back of the seat as well as saddlebags. Don't forget you can also carry stuff on the floorboards between your feet.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

I have the tail trunk, but the saddle bags I've looked into seem too small. Which ones do you have/would recommend.
Also is a bag on the bag a special bag? How does it attach?
Where should I keep the extra fuel? (Do I even need it?)
And why I don't see people with just a big backpack?
Is it uncomfortable/dangerous?

I just don't see why I would not have my 50 gallon backpack on while riding.
It does not seem like it would get in the way too much.

Heading Home by Neo - nimajus, on Flickr
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimajus View Post
I have the tail trunk, but the saddle bags I've looked into seem too small. Which ones do you have/would recommend.
Also is a bag on the bag a special bag? How does it attach?
Where should I keep the extra fuel? (Do I even need it?)
And why I don't see people with just a big backpack?
Is it uncomfortable/dangerous?

I just don't see why I would not have my 50 gallon backpack on while riding.
It does not seem like it would get in the way too much.

Heading Home by Neo - nimajus, on Flickr
The saddlebags are tourmaster. They are pretty small but they attach under the seat so they don't have to come off when getting gas. Large saddlebags just won't fit. The bag on the seat is something I picked up at Wally World, nothing special.

A back pack would work if that's what you want to do but seems like it would be a hassle every time you got off the scooter.

I don't carry extra fuel but perhaps out west I would.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

So last three days in the row I had shoots in New York City, and took the scooter out there.

On Sunday it was extra special because I had to shoot video, so I ended up having two cameras, tripod, monopod, led light, 4 lenses, stedicam, microphones + my girlfriend. I am absolutely amazed at the versatility of the almighty scooter.

Why don't everybody have them?!

Today I shot and assisted a shoot in Central Park, so both my boss and I scooted out :)

Here are some pics.

His Yamaha Zuma 125 having no problem on a highway. It had a great last day (he sold it few hours ago, going for a bigger scoot)

Riding on the side of Queensborough Bridge