User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I have a japanese water stone, but I never got the hang of it. In the end I always go back to my Lansky set, which is practically foolproof.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
mfd1719
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I have used a Spyderco Sharpmaker for well over 10 years now. It works very well at making a sharp edge sharper. The ceramics are too fine for neglected edges. For those I use a DMT stone then switch over to the sharpmaker.
mfd1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #18
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
the dmt stones are great for lapping water stones.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
I use a WorkSharp (it stores easier than a 1x30 belt grinder) and leather hones with polishing compounds.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

what's the belt length on the worksharp? I'd like it more if I could use more standard belts... maybe an additional idler pulley to take up the 30" slack :P

love love LOVE trizact belts, but they're not available in a whole lot of sizes.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Doing it by hand, how in the heck do you maintain the proper angle?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

straight up is 90 degrees, half of that is 45, half of that is 22.5, half of that's 11.25. I use the halves because its easy to visualize. Just figure out what you're using the knife for, then the strength of the steel, and use those to determine the angle. Personally I have my santoku at 11 degrees, single bevel, most of my pocket knives are around 30-40 degrees inclusive (or, 15-20 degrees on each side).

here's an article for you http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/De...es-W28C60.aspx
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
That's the art, finding a way to hold a consistent angle by hand. Jigs make it easier, but to just eyeball it and have it not dip and wave across the length of the blade - that's craftsmanship.

Practice, practice, practice. Watch other people do it. Practice some more.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I made this extremely simple jig:

It's a block of wood with 11 degree from verticle saw kerfs. I've got a few different chunks of aluminum plate, with sandpaper from 240 to 2000 grit glued on. It's easy to keep the knife vertical. I used to sharpen entirely by feel, and I could get a very sharp edge, but I wasn't as consistent or fast. The first time I sharpen a knife, I'll start with a belt sander to shape the edge- most knives that have been sharpened before have a very fat edge, like 45 degree included angle.

I bought a lansky for my in laws, and I often use it when I visit, so that I can use a sharp knife, but I think it's slow, and I'm not that happy with the coarseness of the stones. I sharpen woodworking tools on an almost daily basis to a razor edge, and sandpaper (and occasionally buffing compound on a piece of maple) is all I use.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
I use a Spyderco tri-edge if the edge is okay, a cardboard wheel followed by the Spyderco if the Spyderco alone doesn't cut it, and a 400 grit belt followed by the rest if the edge is completely shot.

I can use a whetstone, but they take forever....

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #26
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
That's the art, finding a way to hold a consistent angle by hand. Jigs make it easier, but to just eyeball it and have it not dip and wave across the length of the blade - that's craftsmanship.

Practice, practice, practice. Watch other people do it. Practice some more.

That's what I thought.

With my good knives, it's much better left to a professional.

Thanks.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^ I am thinking by hand on a variety of stones it is not that hard; however, I remember starting out when I was twelve and how frustrating it was. My Dad said to keep at it and after some time it became natural to accomplish consistent enough angles to produce good edges. After 50 years of by hand I can sharpen a knife on smooth concrete if I have to.

What is good about hand sharpening is that you can just to it anywhere without much setup. I have been over to dinner at houses where there was not a sharp knife in the house. Scrounge around find some bullshit carborundum stone, throw it on top of a wet towel on the counter and sharp away. Five minutes later one can cut a tomato or slice some meat. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better that sawing with a butter knife.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #28
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
True, true. But I'd probably just use the knife I brought with me.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Lansky Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I made this extremely simple jig:

It's a block of wood with 11 degree from verticle saw kerfs. I've got a few different chunks of aluminum plate, with sandpaper from 240 to 2000 grit glued on. It's easy to keep the knife vertical. I used to sharpen entirely by feel, and I could get a very sharp edge, but I wasn't as consistent or fast. The first time I sharpen a knife, I'll start with a belt sander to shape the edge- most knives that have been sharpened before have a very fat edge, like 45 degree included angle.

I bought a Lansky for my in laws, and I often use it when I visit, so that I can use a sharp knife, but I think it's slow, and I'm not that happy with the coarseness of the stones. I sharpen woodworking tools on an almost daily basis to a razor edge, and sandpaper (and occasionally buffing compound on a piece of maple) is all I use.

What are you not happy with? Too Coarse, Too Fine?

I agree that they can be slow, in the two or three decades I have been using mine I have upgraded all the stones to diamond and added some of their "ultra" fine (non diamond) stones to finish up the edges. Having the Extra-Coarse diamond stone has really sped up the process for me to straighten out a poorly contoured factory edge, wish they had brought it out in the beginning. There are still some steels that take a long time to shape, even with that stone. My Gerber LHR (S30V?) came out of the box looking like a rookies first day project and that required a couple of hours to get where I wanted it.
My only issue with Lansky (besides getting bored or hand cramps from a really 'needy' edge) has been the plastic 'holders' for the stones, most come unglued eventually and I have managed to break one at the rod attachment but that was probably from being too lazy to take the rod out and bend it with pliers (or a vice) to get it to align with the stone.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
muguvian
lugrubious

Oddometer: 97
Fixtures and stones are mentioned, but just as important is the direction the edge moves relative to the stone. What do you guys do? My dad taught me to use backhand to get a very thin rolled wire edge with the coarser/medium grits, then break that "wire" off with finer stones and polish with a strop.
muguvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: