Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
jw18 OP
fail

Oddometer: 615
Question Asking the collective, what are your thoughts?

So I have ended up with three bikes and two scooters right now. The scooters stay as they take up just a little bit of space and are cheap to operate.

Below is what I have at the moment, I would like to get back down to only one, maybe two bikes.

I am fairly short and I have a hard time getting bikes to fit me. I am 5'9" with an honest 29" inseam (even though I normally wear 30" as they are just easier to find). So I have a long torso and short arms. Any forward lean on a bike is too much as it is amplified by my long torso short arm build.

Also tall bikes are not out, but not preferred.

2009 FJR1300

Positives
-Love the motor!
-Best two up bike that I have right now
-Adjustable windshield
-Supposedly will last forever
-I can get get both feet down, tip toes anyway
-Shaft drive

Negatives
-The bars are too far forward and risers are $$$$
-There is a lot of heat on this bike on my legs. A LOT
-Expensive body panels if my dumb ass drops it
-Heavy and the handling is a little odd to me (probably just not set up right)

2005 Weestrom

Positives
-Great fuel efficient motor
-Light weight
-Cheap
-To me, handles the best of the bikes I have now
-I can do gravel roads without worrying about body panels

Negatives
-Too tall. Lowered it bottoms out. Moving it around at top height is a pain
-Chain drive. I prefer belt then shaft.
-Buffeting. I can not get this bike to work for me on the slab.

1997 Honda Pacific Coast

A little background here. I had a cruiser up for sale or trade and thats how this came into my ownership. I just thought I would sell it, but man is this a great bike!

Positives
-Trunk!! Do I need to say more? Very easy to access your stuff
-Hydraulic valves! No adjustment needed
-V-twin, I just seem to like them better
-Easy, no super easy maintenance
-almost perfect fit. Bars are right, no buffeting, flat foot
-Great on the slab

Negitives
-I just don't think it is going to have enough power for two up loaded for a
trip.
-Body parts are not made anymore. Mirrors actually cost more than a
replacement motor on ebay. Crazy
-Limited on seat options
-Drum rear break
-wind protection is so good that it is Hot in over 85 degree weather

Thats all that I can think of at the moment. If it was just me, I would almost just keep the PC800 as it has really impressed me. I really like the Wee, but it is just too tall for me I believe. With the FJR, if I change the bars, seat, and adjust the suspension It would also do 80% of what I do.

I like to drive spirited through the twisty's. I need to be able to haul enough stuff for two people on overnight trips.

So, keep one, two, three, or sell them all and get something else?

jw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,171
I don't think you need to have a set plan for this up front. Put them all up for sale with an asking price on the high side of reasonable.

Whichever two sell first keep the third and see how it works for you as an only bike.

Maybe use a bit of the proceeds from the other two to pay for minor changes to the third if needed.

If it still doesn't work for you as your sole bike then sell it and get something else.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
gonnagetthere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
If I were you, I'd sell all three, and find a bike that calls to you, meets your needs, and has only minor drawbacks that you can ignore and be happy.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
jw18 OP
fail

Thanks for the input guys. Keep them coming

Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnagetthere View Post
If I were you, I'd sell all three, and find a bike that calls to you, meets your needs, and has only minor drawbacks that you can ignore and be happy.
This guy.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Project84
too scared to flog

Oddometer: 105
I'm in the same pickle!

I have:

'08 Vulcan 900 Custom
'04 Yamaha FZ6
'01 KTM Duke 2

All 3 serve a different purpose, I can justify keeping all 3, but I don't really need all 3 or the maintenance/expense/time investment/friends thrashing on them/taking up space in the garage/etc.

But I love the KTM's power/weight ratio and all that torque! I love the looks and smoothness of that Vulcan. And love the tourability of the FZ6.

Sucks. I gotta let 2 go as well. Maybe all 3 like someone suggested and start over with just one.

....but what bike rides like a supermoto, is sexy like a big black cruiser, or is rideable all day like an FZ6?
'04 FZ6
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,943
the FJR has some finicky suspension setup, its also finicky about tires.
Bite the bullet, get some risers, frame sliders, spend some time setting up the suspension correctly, if you dont have a topbox get one and let it do everything for you and get rid of the things you dont use!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
This guy.
x3
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
jw18 OP
fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
This guy.
I would sell them all if I could think of something that could fit the bill. The bike I want just is not made to my knowledge.

I want upright seating postion in a lightweight bike that handles extremely well. Low maintenance, fuel efficient, torquey motor. I don't need more than probably 70-100 HP.

Basically a Vstrom 650 with better wind protection, lower seat height while maintaining ground clearance, premium suspension, fantastic ABS brakes that are NOT linked, cruise control, and belt final drive (shaft acceptable)

Buell Ulysses almost fits, but the parts are getting fewer and farther between. Plus my last Buell had some electrical gremlins.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
slacker83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I was going to say buell uly hits about everything you are wanting. I've ridden a few that had a decent amount of miles on them and the owners never had any issues unless it was an 06 with cooling problems. Nice thing is the engine is easy to find components for.
slacker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
I've never ridden one but have heard good things about the Tiger 800, even as a 2 up bike. Of course there is no longer a Triumph dealer near you but we do have a new one in Huntsville.

There are 2 versions of the Tiger. The more street oriented one has a lower seat.

Personally I prefer smaller and lighter. There are several Maxi Scooters that will work well a 2 up touring bikes but will not have anywhere near the performance you have now.

A bike that I was considering as a 2 up sport touring bike was the Yamaha FZ-6r. It would take some stuff to turn it into a tourer but it can be done. I ended up with a Versys partially because it was such a steal but the FZ-6r does have a much lower seat and performance similar to your Wee Strom. I know it looks like a sport bike but has an upright seating position. Add luggage and a custom seat and you would be good to go.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,844
elementary, my dear Watson - the answer is obvious.

Honda CB1100

A good old fashioned do it all bike. Add some hepco becker hard bags, passenger backrest and luggage rack. Then it can carry you and the missus and all your crap, too. It has plenty of power. If you want some wind protection, there must be dozens of options you can choose from. You can get an aftermarket exhaust that will make it howl like the old sohc fours of yesteryear. The handling is pretty good, too. It's got a long, flat seat, and if you don't like it again there are several options provided by the aftermarket. No expensive plastic to break. The engine heat doesn't get trapped and toast your legs...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,091
Telling a guy what bike to get is like telling him what woman to marry. In the end, you have to ride the bike that makes you happy. Find that bike, buy it, ride it, and love it.

I learned a long time ago that you don't ride a spec sheet and the whole is many times greater than the sum of its parts.

But you are 100% correct about the FJR...she is a HOT bitch! I owned one that tried to kill me on a 105 degree day. I almost passed out from heat exhaustion before I could find a shady spot to pull off in.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Telling a guy what bike to get is like telling him what woman to marry. In the end, you have to ride the bike that makes you happy. Find that bike, buy it, ride it, and love it.

I learned a long time ago that you don't ride a spec sheet and the whole is many times greater than the sum of its parts.

But you are 100% correct about the FJR...she is a HOT bitch! I owned one that tried to kill me on a 105 degree day. I almost passed out from heat exhaustion before I could find a shady spot to pull off in.

humbug!

If you ask me what bike to buy, I am going to steer you toward something I like.

If you ask me what woman to marry, I am going to steer you toward something I DON'T like.

and all bikes are hot when it's 105 outside.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote