Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #61
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
No doubt this may occur with some of them. (Curious why that buyer wouldn't choose the regular Gold Wing though?)

As a solo rider I like the absence of 50 pounds (and that's if the trunk's empty) mounted high and behind the rear wheel. Also the Gold Wing's seat with it's backrest and arm rests, while comfortable for the passenger, looks like a Barcalounger perched back there. I agree that cruise and ABS should be available on a motorcycle like this.
I'm thinking they choose this over the regular GW because of price and they like the looks. (Especially from a winter's couch) and then start to think, "Hmmm maybe a little less breeze..." etc.

I do like that Honda is trying to compete with the Road Glides, Street Glides, etc. and that they're finding more uses for the GW running gear.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #62
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
I have finally come to the sad realization that Honda will not make an updated Valkyrie. Nor will they make me the EVO6 I want. I will take a serious look at the F6B. I like it.
Yeah, this is probably as close as its gonna get.
I like it.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #63
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecycle View Post
Triumph tried with their Rocket III but it hasn't sold the way they hoped.
I've always sort of seen the R3 as a niche model that doesn't really fit into any category. Its 2300cc monster engine basically puts it in a category of its own between all other motorcycles and the Boss Hoss.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #64
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
I like the bagger look, and I think Honda did a cool job on the front of the bike. They could have showed more engine though, and less plastic, esp. on the pipes. Let 'em out!!

Having hard bags on a bike is fantastic. I'd be hard pressed to ride any streetbike that didn't have storage. Now I always travel with extra gear.

I've ridden only one true low-windshield bagger -- a HD Street Glide -- and I HATED the buffetting. It just knocked my full-face around like a mo-fo.

When I bought my Road Glide with the standard 16 inch windsheild I replaced it with an aftermarket shield that has a lip at the top...a tiny bit taller...and it mostly eliminated any buffetting.

I like riding behind some sort of wind-block, but I keep riding through rain, and cold, and grasshopper swarms. Mostly when I see a low shield, I think: hmmmm, poser?

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #65
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
OTOH, I have done multi-day, multi-state tours with no windshield and a half-helmet. :
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #66
Mathias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
...but someone needed to introduce something other than a big V-twin into the bagger market, and that smooth six is awesome.
I quite have the hots for the new Moto Guzzi California tourer. Sure, it's still a V-twin, but it's turned the other way around. And made in Italy, instead of the usual USA or Japan.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...1400/?gal=1#/0
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #67
Mathias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Man, this discussion makes me wonder... how did we ever survive with out ABS, cruise control, cup holders, and electric adjustable wind screens????
Quite of a few riders in motorcycling history did NOT survive without ABS!
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #68
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
From the hell for leather article:

"The 1,832cc horizontally-opposed six remains unaltered at 116bhp and 123lb/ft, but ditches the reverse gear. Those changes result in a 62lbs weight saving (now 842, fully-fueled)"

842 Lbs and they dropped the reverse "gear"

I like the bike, but my chicken legs ain't backing that thing up any time soon.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #69
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
From the hell for leather article:

"The 1,832cc horizontally-opposed six remains unaltered at 116bhp and 123lb/ft, but ditches the reverse gear. Those changes result in a 62lbs weight saving (now 842, fully-fueled)"

842 Lbs and they dropped the reverse "gear"

I like the bike, but my chicken legs ain't backing that thing up any time soon.
Learn to park and you won't have to. I got spoiled on my comparatively svelte Honda Shadow, then parked my step-dad's Road King the wrong way in a parking lot. I DON'T have chicken legs and it was still a bitch.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #70
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I quite have the hots for the new Moto Guzzi California tourer. Sure, it's still a V-twin, but it's turned the other way around. And made in Italy, instead of the usual USA or Japan.
Thatas nice bike.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #71
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
As the owner of a '95 Goldwing 1500, I am fascinated by this bike. While the bodywork and low screen look a little bit to much like a Harley or Victory to me, I still love it. NO V-TWIN!!! And for the first time EVER (unless you count the Valkyrie) Honda has actually simplified the Goldwing, something I was absolutely sure would never happen. I was wondering just how they were going to make it any bigger without adding more wheels. Way to go Honda. If I had the money (and if it is not made in China) I would buy one.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #72
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I've added this bike to cycle-ergo.com now. Comparing it with the regular Gold Wing, it's exactly the same aside from lack of windshield, lack of trunk, slightly modernized fairings, and a much lower seat. The lower seat would definitely help make up for the lack of reverse.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #73
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
The main thing I like about it is it's simplicity compared to the regular Goldwing. I would like one without the stereo or digital display, just an analog speedo, tach and warning lights. Some people just like to go out and ride, without all the gadgetry.

I would still like to see a base model 1100 Interstate. A standard bike with bolt on fairing, bags and trunk. And no gadgets. A perfect touring bike for me. Problem is, if Honda did bring it back, it would cost over $20,000, so it would be a moot point.

I keep hearing about a factory Goldwing trike, like the Harley TriGlide, for those who want even more gadgets. I think Honda has reached the limit to how many gadgets can be put on 2 wheels. Maybe exceeded it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #74
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
It still needs to lose a couple hundred pounds....
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #75
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,140
Its not a dirt bike, the weight is fine, the Goldwing can get along quite fine especially because the weight of the flat 6 is so low, this will be better.

We probably wont get it here though.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote