Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I got rid of this by aligning the back wheel with the front - no offset no skip.
What I am talking about has nothing to do with wheel alignment. All bikes do it. The corkscrew at Laguna Seca is a S turn that very often and obviousy gets riders into what I am talking about.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
What I am talking about has nothing to do with wheel alignment. All bikes do it. The corkscrew at Laguna Seca is a S turn that very often and obviousy gets riders into what I am talking about.
cuz it drops off like a cliff mid-turn.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

That's what makes it so obvious. All bikes will very often momentarily lift the front wheel in a turn like that on level ground. It just isn't nearly as noticable.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #19
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
I'm looking for a way to say you're right SS .
So far I can't find one.

I can't have the only bike in the world that doesn't hop thru esses.
Running a 21' front and a long travel suspension I'd expect the problem of unloading the front end and releasing the stored energy at a direction change would be worse.

Maybe I'm too old to push it that hard anymore
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
What Shaft says is a real thing, however, you have to snap the bike from left to right violently, while being hard on the gas.
A large part of the phenomenon is in the geometry of the front end. To initiate the turn, you must turn the bars hard, to raise the bike to center. This loads the front suspension. At top the suspension unloads, the bike is hard on the gas, lifting the front, and the rake, and offset of the front swing slightly upward as well.
I used to roadrace superbikes, and seldom rode hard enough to experience this, and never on a road bike!

BTW if you have been unfortunate enough to have a bike go into tankslappers hard enough to leave black marks on the road (unfortunately I have several times, I've had some shitty handling bikes before) you will see the black marks are a foot apart, and non in the center.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I probably need to work on a bit of hang off as stating to scrape the raised motor on a few corners...then I react by closing the gas and the bike starts to go wide.....need to keep the gas on and lift the bike out. Good fun.
When in doubt... Throttle out!
Easier said than done. It is very hard to stay on the throttle after the butt pucker of hard parts hitting the ground.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
Easier said than done. It is very hard to stay on the throttle after the butt pucker of hard parts hitting the ground.
Ain't it true. My first day Road Racing, I was having trouble in a section (two really) of track with tank slappers. Everyone told me to hold the throttle open, and ride it out. I tried several times to do this, with little success.
One tank slapper was so violent, I broke both steering stops off the frame, and I was thrown through the windshield, about 140mph. Not much chance to ride that out (didn't crash though) For sure I bought a steering damper after that.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
What Shaft says is a real thing, however, you have to snap the bike from left to right violently, while being hard on the gas.
A large part of the phenomenon is in the geometry of the front end. To initiate the turn, you must turn the bars hard, to raise the bike to center. This loads the front suspension. At top the suspension unloads, the bike is hard on the gas, lifting the front, and the rake, and offset of the front swing slightly upward as well.
I used to roadrace superbikes, and seldom rode hard enough to experience this, and never on a road bike!

BTW if you have been unfortunate enough to have a bike go into tankslappers hard enough to leave black marks on the road (unfortunately I have several times, I've had some shitty handling bikes before) you will see the black marks are a foot apart, and non in the center.
I thought everyone would asume that you have to be riding them hard to do it. Lots of times it's just for a nano second but, since you are countersteering heavily right at that same nano second, it will often get you into a head shake. You can watch racers do it all the time on TV.

Tank slappers are going to happen if you ride hard. My advise is to pump your brakes back up afterwards before you actually need them!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post

The pucker holds you onto the seat it was suggested I fit skateboard wheels on the rocker covers.....
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I've been running my R90 track bike for nearly a whole season and so far it seems to go,stop and handle really well.

I have been expecting frame flex to turn up at every meet but so far its stayed away....

Running a 1983 R80 frame, racetech forks, fork brace, big tube shaft and Ikons.

Last effort I was manageing to lap the track in 1.27 minutes @ around 80 MPH average speed.

Is it only the /5's that flex as I weighed the two frames at the start of the build and the /5 one was from memory about 3 kgs

less...

Mine is the red one in the piccy....the least fast of the three....

off topic apology - but what steering damper is on the black tank toaster?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #26
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

looks like a Daytona brand to me. Very cost effective compared to others, and pretty decent quality. The only brand I have owned.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
looks like a Daytona brand to me. Very cost effective compared to others, and pretty decent quality. The only brand I have owned.
Do you know if they make bolt on kits for airheads, or id it just the damper - and requires custom clamps/brackets?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Do they need a steering damper? Only time I have ever experienced head shakes was riding two up thru Greece with 3 months of gear and a top box..... and that was down to rear tyre pressure.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #29
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
off topic apology - but what steering damper is on the black tank toaster?
I don't know the bike, but it looks a lot like a Cerani front end off an early Ducati, Voltaire, you know anything about it or am I just halucinating?

PS, say Hi to Keith.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I don't know the bike, but it looks a lot like a Cerani front end off an early Ducati, Voltaire, you know anything about it or am I just halucinating?

PS, say Hi to Keith.
On the black bike? I see a set of BMW mono forks, brace, brakes and front end/wheel/hub....