Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #76
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
That's what the manufacturers will want you to believe.

But if the Wee's philosophy was 90% bike for 90% of the money, it would not sell much. But think 80-90% of the bike for half the money, then you get a lot of people interested. Being one of the most bulletproof bikes out there comes as a bonus.

ya know this pissing match reminds me of something: a man walks into a tea shop in france. the shop keeper tells him about all the tea flavors and aromas. how some are 10% aroma and 90%substance.
so the guy who walked in says " where I come from we have F A R Teee , 10% substance and 90% aroma. the
S h i tee is 90% substance and 10% aroma.

its good to know we can have these pissing matches about the wee, because without it there isn't anytthing out there unless you use the sv650 as a table of measure.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #77
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
That's what the manufacturers will want you to believe.
You have very obviously never worked in producing anything significant. This is the case for pretty much everything produced, even for something as simple as a hammer.

As soon as you try to get the very last glitches, cheapness, ... out of the product, you spend so much more time, money, processing, and so on, that it does end up costing twice as much. You might then recover part of that cost by selling in numbers, but that's not often possible for high end products.

Quote:
But if the Wee's philosophy was 90% bike for 90% of the money, it would not sell much.
I actually think it's about 70% of the bike for 70% of the money. Because it does not cost half. I costs at least 70% of the comparable ones. And haven't owned one, I would say it's about 50% of the owner satisfaction of my Tiger Roadie, while still being 70% of the price.

And there are people that don't like to settle for this. And people that don't have to. That's why some people even privately buy Craftsman and others buy Snap On. There are people for whom it is important to get higher quality, higher satisfaction from something they bought and they might not get satisfaction out of something that might run for 50k miles without a problem, but those were the most boring 50k miles in their motorcycle careers.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #78
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Great debate and the points raised make for interesting reading. I bought a used wee for $3000 with 9000 miles on it. I bought it not as my primary bike but as an inexpensive choice for a daily commuter (50 miles roundtrip) and for a bike to cross into Mexico on. For me its not an exciting bike to ride. Its probably one of the sleepiest bikes to ride that I've owned. Its more like an inexpensive but very functional and reliable tool. Would I buy a new one? Absolutely not. I'd spend the extra's $'s and get a Triumph or Super Tenere if I was buying new. But for the money that I spent on the wee I don't know of another bike that I could have bought at that price point, that could give me that bulletproof peace of mind to go to those out of the way places without sweating a possible break-down. Eveyone has different criteria when buying and at the time that was mine.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #79
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I actually think it's about 70% of the bike for 70% of the money. Because it does not cost half. I costs at least 70% of the comparable ones. And haven't owned one, I would say it's about 50% of the owner satisfaction of my Tiger Roadie, while still being 70% of the price.

And there are people that don't like to settle for this. And people that don't have to. That's why some people even privately buy Craftsman and others buy Snap On. There are people for whom it is important to get higher quality, higher satisfaction from something they bought and they might not get satisfaction out of something that might run for 50k miles without a problem, but those were the most boring 50k miles in their motorcycle careers.
Your experience of the Wee is from the 'older' model, right? The Tiger800, as well as others, should be compared to the 2012-> model, which has improved in many areas, so overall it's definitely a better bike than the 04-11 models.

BTW, Tiger800, GS700/800, Versys, NC700X, Tenere660 etc, are not 'high-end' products of their manufacturers, either. They all have pretty basic components.

And finally, the Wee can be compared to bikes that cost twice as much, at least according to German Motorrad-magazine, that just pitted it against Tiger1200, Crosstourer1200 and Stelvio1200. It lost out to the Triumph & Honda, but was pretty much on par with the Guzzi, and price difference in Europe is nearly double to all three 1200cc bikes.

But sure I understand, that it does not appeal to everyone. It was never even intended to be the best in any certain area, but to do well in most areas, so naturally it has its limits. "Wheels made out of cheese", etc. is still a bit off, or at least you'll have to first test, how good stuff the competitors are equipped with.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 02:43 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #80
amk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
As soon as you try to get the very last glitches, cheapness, ... out of the product, you spend so much more time, money, processing, and so on, that it does end up costing twice as much. You might then recover part of that cost by selling in numbers, but that's not often possible for high end products.
Do you really think all bugs and glithes were eliminated out of those triumphs and beemers? Good luck to you.

That is exactly the opposite way, for 1.5 or 2 times more money you will buy 200% more of bugs and glitches in real than you would ever have heard the Wee has in the web. That is why they are excluded out of my search.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #81
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Do you really think all bugs and glithes were eliminated out of those triumphs and beemers? Good luck to you.
No, just that they are build with lots of little things that are of better quality. Drives the price up ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #82
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,748
This is getting ridiculous. I bought my 07 Wee new in Dec. 06. It was a fine bike NEW but had a few shortcomings. Aside from farkling to taste, it really needs springs, shock and a centerstand. The engine needs nothing and nearly everything else is perfect as well. Given that, I would put my bike up against the new S10 and I don't think it would fall short in anything but a drag race.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #83
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 622
I understand there are bikes out there with better suspension, better prestige and better this or that. Matter of fact, when i bought mine 4.5 years ago, i wanted a BMW. - i am guilty of being a victim of their effective advertising.

But here is my reality: i wanted my bike to be a trusty dependable partner in my commute and adventure. Sure, she (or he, being politically correct), is a bit of plain Jane (or James) but she is as dependable as they come. To me this is the most important part of being my bike of choice.

Second, she is economical to run - i dont want to dish out $$$ everytime i want to go out. I much spend those $$$ on getting me further away.

Sure i often fantasize having a better partner in crime, perhaps with sexier looks or better legs, but good susie just keep delivering where it matters.

So i did not chose her because she is cheap, although the fact she cost less to start with is a bonus.

P.S i tested version 2 of Vstrom - it address most of the complaints of the original bike -
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #84
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,342
Quote:
Originally quoted by Respado1800:

This is getting ridiculous...
I have to agree. My 2006 Wee has Sonic springs, Elka shock, centerstand, Madstat brace and screen.

Stock engine, exhaust, and gearing.

I just went past 42k miles, putting on 1300 over the past three days. It ran like a charm. Lubed the chain, checked the air pressure and topped it off.

It fits my moto needs pretty well for the price.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #85
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,727
Yes, this is ridiculous.

The Wee is a budget bike, just like its main competitors. And it has a proven track record, though it's definitely not the only reliable bike out there. For some people, it can perhaps surprisingly be an option to the bigger, more expensive bikes (I think this is largely because 2-up is especially, where it shines, for a 650cc "only" bike).... but not everybody thinks that way, and certainly there is still room for improvement even on the new Wee version. Even though it has improved nicely from the older version.

Riders needs, expectations and preferences are very different. So I think it is only positive, that we have such a wide variety of choices in this class these days.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #86
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
You have very obviously never worked in producing anything significant. This is the case for pretty much everything produced, even for something as simple as a hammer.

Cug, you most certainly are one of the most fun people to "discuss bikes with here"(AKA arguing) to come along in a long time! Please tell us, r.e., your "producing anything significant" comment above, reveal what grand production scheme you participated in? Several of your comments cause me to think you were a "front office guy",ala , white collar/pencil pusher guy in that endeavor? IMO, & in all fairness we need a few of those too.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #87
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I'm subscribed here because I'm leaning toward a new 650 V-Strom in the near future. Does anybody actually want those OEM tires for reason enough that they'll sell if you jerk them (for good touring tires) from a new V-strom?
You gonna get rid of your R1150R ?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #88
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I'd buy a Wee for two reasons:

I'm convinced it is a dependable bike that meets my expectations at its price point.
The Suzuki dealer in Biloxi MS is the most ethical, honest, and reliable dealer I have ever met.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #89
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,831
I am, as they say, not getting any younger & thinking lighter bike after my Mexico/GT trip in Jan, come spring. I rode a 2012 wee in August & I liked it from a short tryout. I am looking at a switch over to Wee. I saw a 2012 on ebay dealer ad for under $7k recently. My closest dealer wants $7800 & they don't know MC's(newly bought the place & as KY is ATV crazy thats their thing) so warranty support would be weak-meaning like usual for me, I don't care where it comes from if the price justifies the buy. A fly & drive suits me well.
So. yes I'm moving toward a wee, warts & all. Truth is my 1150R has served me well & a great ride. I'm short & don't see the "GS craze" as an answer to anything I want to do on a bike at 69 yrs old! Dirt riding is not my area these days & if it was I sure as hell wouldn't buy a humongous bike to do it. A wee will get lowered to suit me.Links,seat,forks,etc..
Ace, is yours gone yet? Are you ready for "some Mexico & GT"?
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #90
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I'm still riding the '03 R1150R for most of my riding. I did a 2000 mile round trip down to Key West a couple of months ago. It was a good ride. I've got a '03 F650gs that doesn't get enough riding. It seems like on the longer rides I just gravitate to the RR because its more comfortable, has that extra margin of power, and tubeless tires. I really should probably sell the F but I haven't brought myself to do it.