Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #46
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote "What's not to like.

" end quote

B b b b but, they're in a furrin' (to me) tongue!
My high school french, unused since, isn't up to the task and I couldn't find a toggle for subtitles.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
Maybe Honda would like to make a proper Adventure/dual sport bike?
Yes i have been a Honda guy for years. Saddest part is that everything i have is a Honda except my motorcycles.

If Honda would come out with a re-introduced Trans Alp or a bike that competes on the level of the BMW or Triumph 800 series i would be all over that like a fat kid on a cup cake.

Neither of these bikes even comes close.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #48
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I'm watching these models with interest. It'll be a while before I'll ever be able to afford a "true" adventure bike again and my journeys are nothing more than day trips mostly on back roads. I think either the 500 or 700 would be perfectly fine for my needs and the prices are reasonable.
You sound like a sensible fellow with a realistic notion of what makes a useful motorcycle.

That 700 would be a nice bike to live with. Plenty capable with lots of useful amenities. That glovebox is a terrific idea.

imho.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #49
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
i guess ...
on a web site section called "adventure rider" and the photo on the top of the page is of a bike in snow with jacked up suspension, most riders/readers turn out to be more along those lines. dryden rider54, others, and myself dont consider the new hondas menitoned above anywhere near the realm of adventure or dual sports.
i had a 1974 cb 550 that could tour as well as the new 500 or 700 honda bikes, But now adays i want to go off roads...rough stuff...and highway too.
so, as others, i am sTill waiting for honda to step up....and Yamaha, if you are listening, bring that bloody 660 xt over here already!!!
still, i do agree lornce, the nc 700 looks like a vunderful ride.

ps: oh, lets not forget suzuki, they could pull up their socks too!
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)

edwin screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 06:05 PM
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #50
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
i guess ...
on a web site section called "adventure rider" and the photo on the top of the page is of a bike in snow with jacked up suspension, most riders/readers turn out to be more along those lines. dryden rider54, others, and myself dont consider the new hondas menitoned above anywhere near the realm of adventure or dual sports.
i had a 1974 cb 550 that could tour as well as the new 500 or 700 honda bikes, But now adays i want to go off roads...rough stuff...and highway too.
so, as others, i am sTill waiting for honda to step up....and Yamaha, if you are listening, bring that bloody 660 xt over here already!!!
still, i do agree lornce, the nc 700 looks like a vunderful ride.

ps: oh, lets not forget suzuki, they could pull up their socks too!
What could you do on a 660xt that you can't do on your '02 Dakar 650.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #51
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

the Yam 660 would be just another option for an dual sport adventure...i wish allll motor bike companys made duallys!!!
i guess i am also biased on the smaller bikes, that said, the Yam s-10 if of no use to me personally.
but, all sorts eh?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #52
WHALENTJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
The Yamaha 660 Tenere should have been imported for us.
WHALENTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #53
Lornce
Lost In Place

I think Honda believes there's a broader potential urban market for user friendly 500cc and 700cc motorcycles than there may be for more expensive and more narrowly focused, so called, "adventure bikes".

Looking around at the number of "adventure bikes" I see on street tires at the local moto-gathering points, I'm inclined to believe they could be right.

We're also probably looking at bikes that Honda will be offering around the globe, not just the North American market. Which might explain why they're less than ideally suited to tall, 200+ pounders.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #54
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I think Honda believes there's a broader potential urban market for user friendly 500cc and 700cc motorcycles than there may be for more expensive and more narrowly focused, so called, "adventure bikes".

Looking around at the number of "adventure bikes" I see on street tires at the local moto-gathering points, I'm inclined to believe they could be right.

interesting that 'adventure bikes' could be considered narrowly focused...i would consider a crusier/croch rocket/ tourer/ custom / street bike narrowly focused...we can do all the street riding we want with 'adventure bikes' and still kill the gnar bar roads and lots of trails....narrow? only the bars need to be narrow to fit between the trees!
it's the 'street bikes' that are narrowly focused. but i agree, a bike company will sell more street orientated bikes than adventure bikes.
but do ride what you got...ride on bros ride on
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #55
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
interesting that 'adventure bikes' could be considered narrowly focused...i would consider a crusier/croch rocket/ tourer/ custom / street bike narrowly focused...we can do all the street riding we want with 'adventure bikes' and still kill the gnar bar roads and lots of trails....narrow? only the bars need to be narrow to fit between the trees!
it's the 'street bikes' that are narrowly focused. but i agree, a bike company will sell more street orientated bikes than adventure bikes.
but do ride what you got...ride on bros ride on
Interesting point edwin. The ADV bikes are wider focused in their capabilities, but the target market is narrower. Contrast that to cruisers or tourers, where from a utility standpoint they are more focused than a DR650, KLR, 690 Enduro, or Tiger 800, but appeal to a broader audience.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #56
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:

We're also probably looking at bikes that Honda will be offering around the globe, not just the North American market. Which might explain why they're less than ideally suited to tall, 200+ pounders.

Totally agree. Honda would not build this without doing homework, but the adv market is growing. If not folks like triumph would not be venturing into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
Hmmm, it seems their homework on the Varadero was as bad as my homework was in high school

How many other bikes have come and gone with a supposed large amount of homework done .... lots of them have sank into the pages of history
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #58
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Hmmm, it seems their homework on the Varadero was as bad as my homework was in high school

How many other bikes have come and gone with a supposed large amount of homework done .... lots of them have sank into the pages of history
The Varadero was a sales success in Europe where it was available long before arriving in Canadian showrooms. Europeans seem to have a clearer notion of what these big "adventure styled" bikes really are. ie: touring bikes with a bit of gravel acumen.

The thing some mfg'rs seem to be finding out about the larger "adventure bike" market in Canada, is that consumers don't yet seem willing to pay premium prices (ie: BMW prices) for similar items made in Japan.

Honda couldn't move Varaderos in Canada until they priced them like V-Stroms. I'm thinking maybe Yamaha's learning that, now.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #59
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:

Honda couldn't move Varaderos in Canada until they priced them like V-Stroms. I'm thinking maybe Yamaha's learning that, now.

Yes Honda thought that Canadians would buy the Varadero at that crazy inflated price because it had "Honda" on it. No way was that was going to happen. It was not even close to being worth the original price.

Now Yamaha has tried the same overpricing and failed with the Tenere. Way too expensive for their customer base. Needs to be closer to V-Strom pricing just like the Varadero had to be.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #60
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
True enough but past experience or 'homework' should have told them our market is different. This has been going on for many years but they keep getting surprised for some reason.

A Honda Civic or whatever is comparable won't get the same market price as a BMW 3 series even if it is as good mechanically.