ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: 2012 Super tenere vs. 2014 V-strom 1000
Super Ten For the WIN! 44 70.97%
Be a STROM TROOPER 12 19.35%
I like turtles. 6 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
ADVNubie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Help! 2012 Super Ten or 2014 strom 1000

Hey all,

Soo I'm trading in my 2008 Warrior..
And I'm looking to go a little more versatile,
Live in Texas now which means I'll be doing more miles between basically everything..
In Texas distance is measured in hours. But I want the ability to go on dirt/farm and maybe some trails.
I have the opportunity to pick up either a 2014 Strom or 2012 Super Ten for about the same price, around 9990.

The Super Tenere comes with bags(tail and side) and protection (engine bars), the Strom is bone stock..

The question then is... Which one to get??
ADVNubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
cakeboy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
i had a test ride on the new 1,000 v strom and was not impressed . yes it was light and easy to ride , but the finish left a lot to be desired , i think the 650 v strom is made better . i think the 1,000 v strom would soon look tired ... tried a super tenere and what a difference it was just quality everywere and the engine was a lot smoother , yes it was heavier [ after all it has shaft drive compered to the suzuki,s chain ] but so very comfortable i felt like i could have just rode it all day ...at the end of the test ride i bought a new super tenere .
cakeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeboy View Post
i had a test ride on the new 1,000 v strom and was not impressed . yes it was light and easy to ride , but the finish left a lot to be desired , i think the 650 v strom is made better . i think the 1,000 v strom would soon look tired ... tried a super tenere and what a difference it was just quality everywere and the engine was a lot smoother , yes it was heavier [ after all it has shaft drive compered to the suzuki,s chain ] but so very comfortable i felt like i could have just rode it all day ...at the end of the test ride i bought a new super tenere .
Bottom Line first - go with the 2012 ST.

Secondly, I would have to agree that the 650 is probably better than the new 1000. That being said, I really like the engine on the 1000…it requires less gear shifting, pulls better, and would be really great for highway speeds/passing.

I did a compare report of the 650 and the 1000 after test riding both bikes back-to-back, new, at a Suzuki demo last October.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=777127&page=4

Unfortunately, I have no riding experience on the S10, which I really want to do so I can decide myself between the 2014+ models and some other brands. But after reading the S10 threads and other S10 forums, it seems like it's abide that everyone, who owns one, is extremely happy with and have encountered little to no issues.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Arktus
on XTzy!

Oddometer: 93
S10. You will never regret it.

...and sorry, but the Strom is ugly

Greetz Arktus

Now playing: Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Tιnιrι, Legendary XRV750 Africa Twin RD07
Arktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,065
Should I buy bike X, or bike Y?

Owners of bike X will tell you to buy bike X and owners of bike Y will tell you - surprise surprise - buy bike Y! Doesn't really get you far. They're all good nowadays, opinions are like a-holes and personal preference is what counts, so go ride 'em both/all, then decide for yourself.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
ADVNubie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

Owners of bike X will tell you to buy bike X and owners of bike Y will tell you - surprise surprise - buy bike Y! Doesn't really get you far. They're all good nowadays, opinions are like a-holes and personal preference is what counts, so go ride 'em both/all, then decide for yourself.

True but the nice thing about different aholes is sometimes they sit on things in different ways.n. Seriously though I'm very Nubish with the adv thing.. I've had a tiger and a star warrior(cruiser). I like to get opinions from folks that have been there.. I will of course ride both bikes.
ADVNubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

I own neither bike, but am a big fan of both. I agree the quantitative poll may be worthless, but I usually find most of the qualitative discussion/feedback to be informative. I have sought opinions about the S10 vs the r1200gs. And received some great inputs and things I never considered both on the forum and via PM.

Living in Texas, I would encourage the OP to seriously consider the newer S10 with cruise control if you plan to travel very far distances on long stretches of road.

Both machines are very good, but in different ways....what matters most is the weighting of the different factors to the OP and how each bike feels, if the luxury of test riding both is available.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I had both a 2012 S10 and a 2014 v strom 1000 for about 8 months. The Suzuki was a great bike, but after putting 8000 miles on it, decided that I didn't need both. They were too close to filling the same niche, and kept the Yamaha and traded the v strom. The S10 is a great bike. Better quality to an extent too IMO. After 23,000 miles on it, I like it better every time I ride it. At the prices that the early Super Tenere's are going for, it is an easy decision.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
s10 -- there's no points it fails on. Vee2 has only one - design, but it's a major one
Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeboy View Post
i had a test ride on the new 1,000 v strom and was not impressed .
Same here! The new V-Strom was surprisingly bland and uninspiring.

No contest, Super Tenere all the way.
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
Farmer Hank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Rode the 2012 S10 and found it to be well made, comfortable but boring. Slow to respond (both motor and handling) and about as involving to ride as KLR or a Camry. Bought my 3rd Strom this year and I like it a lot for strafing WV twisties. Quicker handling, less flywheel weight, a whole lot lighter, and just as reliable as the Tenere.
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #12
Harry Dresden PI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
If you are under 5'7" expect both stock (non lowered) bikes to require tippy toes or you will tip over.

If you are on the bigger size 6 foot + and large frame .. go S10 for comfort.

If you do not do your own maintenance pick the one that has a dealer closer to your home or work location.

If you must farkel every week the Suzuki will have more vendors making accessories for your bike than the S10

If low speed parking is an issue or you have to push the bike a lot in your garage or u turns are a problem for you do the Strom (less lbs) to push around

If you hate chain adjustments get the S10

If you want to rev the bike get the Strom

If you like low rpm grunt get the S10

Both can be fun ... but know yourself well to pick the one you love ....
Harry Dresden PI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,729
"rev the bike" ????? the ONE thing everyone agrees on about the V2 is it ain't for revving. its a tractor.

if rev, get the 'strada!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden PI View Post
If you are under 5'7" expect both stock (non lowered) bikes to require tippy toes or you will tip over.

If you are on the bigger size 6 foot + and large frame .. go S10 for comfort.

If you do not do your own maintenance pick the one that has a dealer closer to your home or work location.

If you must farkel every week the Suzuki will have more vendors making accessories for your bike than the S10

If low speed parking is an issue or you have to push the bike a lot in your garage or u turns are a problem for you do the Strom (less lbs) to push around

If you hate chain adjustments get the S10

If you want to rev the bike get the Strom

If you like low rpm grunt get the S10

Both can be fun ... but know yourself well to pick the one you love ....
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Truth to tell: I could be happy with either bike. The s10 is amazing with it's wider range. with it's size and weight it's more of a highway cruiser than the Strom and it is more off roadish too. Add in shaft drive and for many riders you have a compelling argument.

OTOH the new V-Strom also has some distinct advantages. it's a lot lighter. The new 1037cc Strom engine is amazing, very smooth and responsive. They are both good, the V-strom is a fine bike on the highway too, if not quite in the S10's class. Modern chains don't cause much trouble. I've had a bunch of bikes with shaft drive and they require service too and they are heavy. Shaft drives are generally trouble free until they aren't. Then they are a major PITA.

So you pays your money and makes your choice. I REALLY appreciate the lightness of the V-Strom on the mountain backroads so I'm happy with my choice. The responsiveness of that bike makes it a joy to ride in the tight stuff.

So even though the S10 is a much more expensive bike, would I trade even across? Noooooooo!!!!!!

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Wink Decisions decisions decisions

Argh the angst of choices
OP truly the only real way you are going to be able to make a decision is to find a dealer or fellow inmate kind enough to give you some extended seat time with each/either%
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.

sinned screwed with this post 03-27-2015 at 03:22 PM
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote