ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
vinsonrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Has anyone bought a CB500x and regretted it?

Seems like a great little bike but as with anything the theory and reality are two different things. Otherwise we would all all be on KLR's lol.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,947
We should have some good Rally-Raid Kits reports this summer. A great alternative to a thumper:

mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
tennyis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Never road one or bought one but I did briefly consider it when looking for a new bike. I think I'd have preferred the 750 though.

I didn't want to buy a bike and then lust for more power so I went with a V-strom 1000. Nice upgrade from my old vstrom 650 and all the power I think I will ever need!

The CB500 is at a very nice price point though. What do you ride now? whats your riding history like? I think that's probably the most important part in answering this question.
tennyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
lexar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I almost bought one, but went with the NC700X instead. I actually went down to the Honda dealer with the expectations of buying one (liked the low price) and took a test ride (not many Honda dealers even allow test rides). I didn't like how you had to really wring it out to get to the powerband up top. No bottom-end or mid-range torque at all. Then I took the NC out and was in heaven. Tons of torque everywhere and much more comfortable since I'm rather tall. Then saw the on-board frunk storage and the deal was made. The CB500 would be a great little weekend hooligan bike though.
lexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,690
The power of a new one does not compare to the power of one with 1500 miles on it. Once the more is broke in the mid range 4 to 6 really wake up. No its not a power house but there's a big diffrence in brand new and broke in, also a slip on adds a nice feel of mid grunt as well. I don't know how much but it can be felt. Go read the whole CB500X thread and see how many people had sold it. Also look at how many of us went down from much bigger bikes to the 500X and don't regret it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Canadiandad
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Honda CB 500x

We bought my wife the CB500XA last August (her first bike that requires shifting, she had a Piaggio MP3 previously) and she has loved it ever since. What is not to like? -- Reasonable price, excellent ergonomics, quiet smooth engine, excellent shifting, 81mpg average since new, plenty of accessories that we have added (Top box, frame sliders, heated grips, barkbuster hand guards, larger windshield, Alaska sheepskin seat pad, to name a few of the most significant farkles). This has been a great bike for her, no regrets at all. Would be a bit underpowered and small for me though, but fits my wife perfectly.

I just bought the Suzuki VStrom DL1000 for myself and now we love riding together. Just got back from a week of riding in Arizona. (we trailered the bikes down from Calgary)
Canadiandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Oddometer: 1,048
As Switchblade said above if you read through the CB500X thread you won't find much negative on the bike! I bought mine last May and did the ride in my sig a month later. My other bike is a CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and I still love the little 500! I may have more miles on one than most other folks and the bike was pushed pretty hard on my ride! Total issues = one weepy fork seal which it damn well earned the way I hammered it over many hundreds of miles of far north gravel roads! Half my trip was ridden with a friend on a BMW 1200GSA who liked to haul ass! I'm very happy with the bike and feel it's a steal for the price!
XXMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
im downsizing

just sold my r1200gs and want to downsize. Looking hard at the 500x and the 700x and the 650 vstrom. trying to find a place to test ride as i will never buy a bike without riding one first. Any issues with the 500 motor going up steep incline mountain road? Does it lose power or can you just keep twisting it, I don't what to be underpowered and wondering how it is two up, does it bog down? I know i won't be able to test it two up or up any mountain roads.
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
just sold my r1200gs and want to downsize. Looking hard at the 500x and the 700x and the 650 vstrom. trying to find a place to test ride as i will never buy a bike without riding one first. Any issues with the 500 motor going up steep incline mountain road? Does it lose power or can you just keep twisting it, I don't what to be underpowered and wondering how it is two up, does it bog down? I know i won't be able to test it two up or up any mountain roads.
I have the 500F (same motor, slightly different bike) & find it to have all the power one needs in a solo rider. However when riding two up, the bike shows a bit of weakness overtaking traffic especially if on a bit of up hill. I haven't been on any serious mountain roads & wouldn't want too with a passenger, although it would probably handle the task just fine in solo mode. 471CCs do have their limit.

If the new Africa Twin or the XTZ-07 don't end up on show room floors by the end of next year, I'll probably get a CB-X with the Rally Raid package & probably have a better off road machine (not dirt bike) than the A.T. or the XTZ.
Wallachian Spikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
The 700x has screw and nut adjustable valves , no shims , unlike the 500 series.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #11
sherloc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
The 700x has screw and nut adjustable valves , no shims , unlike the 500 series.
Not a big deal either way.. screw and nut is easier to adjust, but will need adjustment more often.. shim is harder to adjust, but will keep it's clearances longer..
sherloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
vinsonrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Thanks for the input. I have had several v-Stroms and KLR's they are still physically big and cumbersome. Not looking for single track or Alaska hell if I get out for 3 hours on a weekend it's a lot. I'm happy to to get a Home Depot run in sometimes. Love the KLR hate the sluggish motor love the Strom but it's a big bike. The upgraded kit for the CB is the bike were all waiting for from the factory. I will never understand how the big 4 will take a chance on some crazy odd ball bike but not something like the 660 Tenere or TDM or any other proven seller around the globe.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
tokyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I have a feeling rally raid is going to be back ordered by day 2 of official product launch .. That kit has made me interested in the 500x which I wasn't before. I seem to be reading similar comments from others.

I can pick up a used X, add the kit and still be in for just a tick over a new WR250R, enjoy it until the first OEM introduces something that pushes the right buttons, then hand it down to my son...

Or not.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 AM   #14
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post
Or not.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:00 AM   #15
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
just sold my r1200gs and want to downsize.
I've been out of bikes for 15 years. I spotted a KLR and thought that was a cool idea, and then found this sight.

I've been banking a little cash each week for 3 years and am about ready to pull the trigger and the CB500X is at the top of my list. The KLR is just too damned tall.

The G650GS is my second choice and holding me back. It's a few more bucks for a leftover '14, but the resale would retain that money.

One thing is, I read about a lot of issues with them, and have yet to hear of an issue with this Honda. I gotta say this bike is loved by all who own it and one thing I've noticed is everybody who owns one says they are a blast to ride.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote