Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #241
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
+1 honda is ahead of the curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r

I've got 8k miles on my CBR250R. Yes, I love to wring it's neck just like I like to wring my woefully underpowered 2001SE Miata's neck. However, in both cases while doing so, other than straight line acceleration or fast freeway, on a back road, I have to be careful to choose my spots. Either one on the boil hitting the fuel cutoff, and you are going way faster than your average redneck in a pick-up.

To average 50-51 mpg on a CBR250R is awesome. You are pushing the little beastie as hard as it can be pushed.

I was just looking at a V-Strom Adventure yesterday. The CB500X is most intriguing. Loved the photos earlier in the thread with the 1950's Harley guys. I'm also considering a 250 dual sport.

One comment I'll throw in is that the CB500X is made at the same Thai factory as my CBR250R. This was Honda's first factory outside Japan and started production in the 1960's. I suspect the flooding in Thailand delayed the release of the CB500X. From my CBR250R I can attest the quality standard at that factory is world class. When I look at my CBR250R, I never think "looks cheap", quite the opposite.

Finally, I think Honda is ahead of the curve with it's new line up of fuel efficient bikes. We are in and will continue further down the era of diminished lifestyle expectations. Thirty years ago a big V-Twin would get double the mpg of a typical family hauler. Now, a new Elantra damn near gets what that big V-Twin gets while hauling four people in air conditioning.

Despite diminished living standards (the vast majority needs to tighten their belts so the top 1% can corner ever greater share of the pie and buy those 250 foot mega yachts), there's always going to be the guy in his 40's and up who says I've done for others enough, time for me now. He wants brand new, low maintenance and low running costs. So, instead of a two seat sports car, or a huge V-Twin, maybe it will be a two wheel vehicle and if it's practical, or close, he can more easily get the old lady on board and save up for the big V-Twin later on.

For a young guy who either goes car less or goes beater (like my '89 Accord LXi with 265k miles and runs like a clock) and bike, the CB500X has to look interesting with it's great mileage and range.

Like I said, I think Honda has seen the future and I think everybody else will have to play catch up.
I totally agree here. With the new 250's the NC700, and now the 500's that are affordable, fuel efficient, fun and practical, Honda is positioning themselves well for the future... The other MFG's better wake up. The days of chunky (often overpriced) V-Twin cruisers ruling the market are numbered.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #242
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I totally agree here. With the new 250's the NC700, and now the 500's that are affordable, fuel efficient, fun and practical, Honda is positioning themselves well for the future... The other MFG's better wake up. The days of chunky (often overpriced) V-Twin cruisers ruling the market are numbered.
I would hold off calling the new 500's fuel efficient. I read in a review that the rider managed 55 mpg, and I'm thinking that they are talking UK-mpg, which I think that would make it around 48-mpg U.S. not verygood when you take a look at what 650 v-stroms and such are getting.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial.../#.UTDbhGcgy70
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #243
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
You can't in anyway use any review as to what the mpg is going to be. They are there to ring the bike out. The world has changed and the reviewers have not. That is why they fail so bad with the hybrid cars or turbo pickups like my Ford Ecoboost...its a new fun way to drive and the reviewers are dinasaurs.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #244
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
I would hold off calling the new 500's fuel efficient. I read in a review that the rider managed 55 mpg, and I'm thinking that they are talking UK-mpg, which I think that would make it around 48-mpg U.S. not verygood when you take a look at what 650 v-stroms and such are getting.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial.../#.UTDbhGcgy70
I agree it's better wait and see.. but it would be a major failure by Honda, if the new 500 was not VERY economic. The NC700X is the most fuel-efficient model in the mid-class atm (DL650 newest version gets close, but wont match it).. but those bikes have 150-180cc more displacement, so I think the 500 should better the NC700 by 10-20%.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #245
SnickterP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

I for one am super excited to see this bike in person. I missed my chance to see it at the NY motorcycle show, but I'm thinking this has just what I need for a good upgrade. I have a KLX250SF now for the last two and a half years, put about 17,000 miles on it as a daily commuter, and am looking for something that can do longer distances and do them more comfortably. I don't need crazy power, and 90% of my riding is on pavement. I thought about the NC700X, but I'm worried it would be too big and heavy, as I really enjoy having a smaller, lighter, nimble bike. This might just be the next bike for me, and for a while.
2012 Honda NC700X - HONDABIKEPRO Skid Plate, Akropovic exhaust, Barkbusters hand guards, Givi Crash Bars, SW Motech Trax Top Box, Side Cases, and Alu Rack, Factory heated grips and center stand, TKC80 front and K60 Scout rear tires.
2010 Kawasaki KLX250SF - Heated grips, Powermadd Hand guards, TCI rack and windscreen

SnickterP screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 02:43 PM
SnickterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #246
CJ smith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
This is kind of interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAaiTW72t2s

Looks like some lucky guy has already got the chance to take one these bikes for a quick spin.
CJ smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #247
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
OMG thanks CJ!!! haahahaa. i want it!! except for it sounds like crap... but we can fix that.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #248
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
OMG thanks CJ!!! haahahaa. i want it!! except for it sounds like crap... but we can fix that.
Different pipe is available from the extras list, iirc.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #249
ironmorph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Does anyone know if the CB 500 is available for demo rides at daytona this week?
ironmorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #250
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmorph View Post
Does anyone know if the CB 500 is available for demo rides at daytona this week?
Honda is not doing demo rides at Daytona this year as in past years.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #251
ironmorph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Honda is not doing demo rides at Daytona this year as in past years.
thanks, I was given bad information then , saved me a trip
ironmorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #252
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Earlier in the thread, the question came up as to what is an "adventure" bike. Is an adventure bike the same as a dual sport, if not, how are they different? Of course, the beautiful thing about motorcycles (and here I am reminded of firearms) is they come in all different flavors and for the average person more than one is affordable.

However, just as you can only shoot one firearm at a time, you can only be riding one bike at a time. For example, you wouldn't take a match .22 skeet shooting.

To me, an adventure bike is the AR15 of motorcycles. Many firearms expert would choose an AR15 if given the choice of only owning one weapon. So, with your money saved up and unlimited time, what bike are you going to pull out of your driveway on for your endless journey?

If you are by yourself are you really going to risk serious injury bashing about on goat trails as well as putting tremendous stress on your equipment? I am reminded of when I hiked 600 miles on the AT early one New England winter, there's a huge difference between a weekend hike and a 10 day hike followed after a night in town with another 7 days on the trail. And by the way, its not like you experience much "wildness" as opposed to hardship while watching where you place each foot on an ice and snow covered rock trail, one reason I much enjoy sea kayaking as you are seeing the view constantly.

Or, are you going to be happy taking routes your average 15mpg SUV can negotiate, that is, the route the locals take?

What's more fun, in a foreign land, bashing down a goat trail and camping out or busting along a winding paved mountain road on a bike that handles well and staying in cheap but nice digs for the night and grabbing a bite?

I love my little CBR250R on the back roads. I love getting 75mpg on my day trips and here and there wringing it's neck (not that I'm anywhere near good). So I'm wondering, down in Central/South America, do I want a 250 dual sport, V-Strom or CB500X? Heck, maybe I'll just get rid of my Helix, Miata and CBR and just get a CB500X and fully outfit it.

My little AR of transportation. Hmmm... maybe the CB500X is simply an update of the machine pictured in the top of the page?

ex_MGB screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 07:02 AM
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #253
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post
My little AR of transportation. Hmmm... maybe the CB500X is simply an update of the machine pictured in the top of the page?
Last fall I had the pleasure of riding in California and Oregon. Along the way, I bumped into a fellow Brit who was halfway through going RTW on a 250 dual-sport, as he'd been told this was perfect for the trip.

'I could have done it all on my DL650' he said, 'and at least my arse wouldn't be aching' .

As a commuter/1-up tourer I love the design of the 500X. In the UK I'd take the slightly longer travel due to our badly maintained roads, and then go camping on it at the weekend.
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #254
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Again, local licencing laws.

Japan has a long history of 400cc and their full bike licence is notoriously hard to achieve.

I really don't get why some USA Inmates don't realise there are other continents on the face of the earth, with other requirements.

I'll stfu up now, because I'm bored of myself and it'll get punted to JM.
Only if you ask Ray!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #255
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Only if you ask Ray!

I can get quite grumpy, as you know!
IBA #40578