Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #721
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Oh, really?

“But yeah, ABS sure kills the feel, not that you need it if you have ABS, you learn to use the brakes differently”

“That’s why a lot of people dislike ABS bikes - no feel”

I really am unable to translate those above in any other way.

And if ABS model has good brake feel, then that´s enough, and it does not matter, if non-ABS model has even better feel, or not.

People dislike ABS for various reasons, but having no feel by design is not one of them. In fact you seem to be the very first person to even make such a claim. I think the differences you may have felt, come from other factors than brake hose flex, simply because it is not significant enough.

But this thread should be about the CB500X, so maybe start another one on ABS/brake feel someplace else.
I may have "misspoken", the "no feel" should read "less feel" compared to
the non-ABS version.

However, my 650R had virtually NO feel, and my current FZ6 w/ABS
compared to one without it has a huge deficit too.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #722
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Just found the Metisse lowering pieces and the Soupy adjustable links.

Any others out there?

Looking to lose about 2".
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #723
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I ordered a new windshield that is 11" taller than the stock one.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/CB500prod.html
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #724
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
I ordered a new windshield that is 11" taller than the stock one.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/CB500prod.html
Looks pretty good!
What's the reason? Just a little more comfort or did the stock one shake you around?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #725
ON8JU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
have you guy's seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whvbgqumkUw

more on:

https://www.facebook.com/thaihonda.crosschallenge
ON8JU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #726
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Thanks for putting that up.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #727
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON8JU View Post

Yep,,,,, I likes that CB500X! Didn't take too long for someone to do exactly what I wished they would do ehh?

Hopefully, the front will be an easy and not too terribly pricy addition. An inch or so of additional ravel added to the OEM forks would be easy and cheap. The rear,,,,, dunno, hopefully a longer shock with more travel will be easy to procure from someone like Progresive. Just wish Honda woulda done so in the first place but I reckon that just like with the DL650,,,, ya gotta mod to get what you want.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #728
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Yep,,,,, I likes that CB500X! Didn't take too long for someone to do exactly what I wished they would do ehh?

Hopefully, the front will be an easy and not too terribly pricy addition. An inch or so of additional ravel added to the OEM forks would be easy and cheap. The rear,,,,, dunno, hopefully a longer shock with more travel will be easy to procure from someone like Progresive. Just wish Honda woulda done so in the first place but I reckon that just like with the DL650,,,, ya gotta mod to get what you want.
Most everyone make changes to their bikes if they want it to conform to more dirt oriented riding experience. Compared to other bikes in this segment, the advantage of the CBX is that it is a lighter and a less expensive platform from which to start.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #729
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
...the advantage of the CBX is that it is a lighter and a less expensive platform from which to start.
Yes. The factory 41mm forks would switch out to a lot of MX front ends. That would be an easy swap.

It won't take long before someone figures out which rear shock from another machine bolts into the back.

This bike could be modded nicely for very little $$$ and not require uberfabricating skills.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #730
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,012
For me, modding the bike is a big part of what makes having it fun.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #731
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,750
Thanks!

[QUOTE=ON8JU;22053691]have you guy's seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whvbgqumkUw

Great video.

I was reading on the CBR500R forums that the riders are getting as much as 70mpg. http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/cb...ats-yours.html
Could the CB500X get that also? I know the arodynamics are set up a little bit differnlty and the ground clearance is higher.

I was watching a video of a Rider from Norway on the NC700X. He was riding at around 2,000 rpms. He was getting about 80mpg.

I know the CB500X has a couple more thousand rpm, but if you still rode the bike at a really low rpm, you could get upper 60s easy. No?

What does the manual say about the minimal speed for 6th gear?

On the CRF250L forums, a poster typed that the 250L manual read to shift to 6 gear @ 37mph (the bike gets 73mpg). So, I'd say the CB500X would be around low 50s for 6th gear.
__
I can't seem to put this bike in my rearview mirrow.

I believe the crf 250L is the best bike for my adventure touring goals, but I feel like I could give up a little bit of the off road part for a great street bike. Which would be 80% of the trip. The rough roads in Alaska would be most of the 20%, that and finding places off road to camp for the evening.

The 2012 V-strom is great, but the milage is not there, and at 472lbs, you might as well go with the NC700X manual with NO abs.

Typing of the 700X. The X should be the better adventure touring bike, but hell, fire, it just seems odd to
pay $1,500 more for a bike
with the same horse power,
and about the same range,
and what looks like less ground clearance,
and a 4" wheel base greater than the 500X.
and 36 lbs heavier when you adjust for the fuel and tank weight.

Sure, the ultra low center of gravity is great and the 21 liter storage is great, but I actually think the 500X would do better off roading.

A subjective thing, is the seat height. At 5'-8", the 31.9" seat would be more cramped than the 700, but more confidence would be there when on the forest roads and ultra light poser single track dirt paths.

__
I trust there is no plastic underneath the bike for the stock cowl correct. If not, does the $54.95 under cowl provide better protection?

I could always go with the CB500X for the first part of my trek:
VA, to the Deep South,and Key West,
Then the Gulf states, and through TX
over the Rockies in NM and into SOCAL.
Up the Coast and east of the Cascades at a easy section (will be Winter)
take ferry and be in Juneua/Skagway/Haines/ late April
take the Ferry to Homer in mid May
Be in Fairbanks by early June ( get knobbies on the 500X)
Dead horse sumer Soltice.
back south, and ride to other places.
Put street tires on and push into Yokon and then South into BC.

2nd part of trip:

Head back to VA along the TAT, and trade in the 500X for the 250L. If, and only if I actually feel like doing this. If not, I have a solid bike to carry me back to old Virginia.
_
The CRF250L could do all of that, with providing some better and more secret squirl camp grounds along the way. The 500 would handy cap me there. the wheel base is larger, and when you adjust for fuel, the bike is 95lbs heavier. Of course the 17" tires would need to cost at slow speeds (15mph) with an avoidance of sandy stuff. Basically, no joy riding off-road. Just light trails and then push into the woods for camping.
_

I could go either way, and still have a great trek.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 08:27 PM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #732
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

I would not hesitate to take the 500X to Alaska. It would be a great bike for that. For the TAT, you should mod the bike a bit. As I mentioned before: a lot of dirt bikes use 41mm forks. Swap out the front end. Forks, wheel, brakes, fender and all. Find at least another 2" of rear travel. A skid plate would be highly recommended. You'd be set for the TAT. Those mods would cost less than what you would lose on trading in the 500 for the 250. Especially when you start wanting to kit another bike - different luggage etc.

On another note, I will do the opposite. Just ordered a lowering link.
The SO test rode one last weekend and loved it. I was really impressed with it too. Not built for my 6-5 stature though. I'll keep my SMT.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #733
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb

hi there... i just sold my 2013 CRF250L and maybe a couple of things to think of based on your thoughts on using it for such a long trip.

1 - get a windscreen for sure.
2 - better get a corbin or seat concepts seat replacement. that stock seat will KILL your ...
3 - the CRF is a really solid bike on the road but you'll get blown around with any high wind.
4 - get a 13T front sprocket swap out. best bang for the $$ for the CRF250L and it will give you more top end, making 6th gear actually usable on the highway at 65mph+

i'm not going to bag the CRF250L at all, it was a solid bike. still i'd say the 500X is much more suited for what you are describing, especially the bigger tank and clearly will be the better road/highway ride.

good luck!
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #734
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
I would not hesitate to take the 500X to Alaska. It would be a great bike for that. For the TAT, you should mod the bike a bit. As I mentioned before: a lot of dirt bikes use 41mm forks. Swap out the front end. Forks, wheel, brakes, fender and all. Find at least another 2" of rear travel. A skid plate would be highly recommended. You'd be set for the TAT.
You'd be set for a LOT of stuff. 21/17 or 21/18 spoked wheels, forks with adjustable damping and more travel, a long-travel damping-adjustable shock and linkage, real handguards, and a sturdy skid would make the CB500X a pretty darn versatile bike. 'Low seat, for stubby people that aren't power-lifters. 'Good range. 'Adequate power. 'Comfortable slab manners. I'd love to see it done while retaining the ABS, but a non-ABS bike would be easier to convert for the at-home modder.

430-450lb curb can still be a manageable weight in nasty sand or rocky roots for somebody like me. The easier terrain would be cake. It'd be like an Africa Twin Light.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #735
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
hi there... i just sold my 2013 CRF250L and maybe a couple of things to think of based on your thoughts on using it for such a long trip.

1 - get a windscreen for sure.
2 - better get a corbin or seat concepts seat replacement. that stock seat will KILL your ...
3 - the CRF is a really solid bike on the road but you'll get blown around with any high wind.
4 - get a 13T front sprocket swap out. best bang for the $$ for the CRF250L and it will give you more top end, making 6th gear actually usable on the highway at 65mph+

i'm not going to bag the CRF250L at all, it was a solid bike. still i'd say the 500X is much more suited for what you are describing, especially the bigger tank and clearly will be the better road/highway ride.

good luck!
My son took me to pick up my CB500x today, and while we were waiting for my bike to be prepped, they let him take a test spin on a crf250l, after I got home, I let him take a spin on the CB500x, he rides a Yamaha r6, and he said that there is no way he would consider the crf250l after riding the CB500x. My son is around 6'1 1/2" and I thought the crf250l might be a little taller when they were sitting side by side, but he said that the CB500x was much more comfortable to ride.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote