ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #736
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PiJiL's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria Australia
Oddometer: 336
According to this eBay stockist, you can jam some new pistons to double the capacity

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CB5...b16f5c2&_uhb=1
__________________
2005 Thinstrom 650
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=Glitch_Oz
PiJiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #737
Cruz
Lost but laughing.
 
Cruz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northside Brisbane, Qld Australia
Oddometer: 5,623
There were heaps CB500 4s made by Honda over the years since the early 70's.

Just one thread here.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...#axzz2befIKkdy
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #738
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PiJiL's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria Australia
Oddometer: 336
Was a joke
__________________
2005 Thinstrom 650
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=Glitch_Oz
PiJiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #739
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.
 
dirtydeeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Can
Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiJiL View Post
Was a joke
I think your funny is upside down.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #740
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
opticalmace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
My son took me to pick up my CB500x today, and while we were waiting for my bike to be prepped, they let him take a test spin on a crf250l, after I got home, I let him take a spin on the CB500x, he rides a Yamaha r6, and he said that there is no way he would consider the crf250l after riding the CB500x. My son is around 6'1 1/2" and I thought the crf250l might be a little taller when they were sitting side by side, but he said that the CB500x was much more comfortable to ride.
Did you trade in the 250L for the 500X? How would you compare the two? Thanks.
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #741
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
Did you trade in the 250L for the 500X? How would you compare the two? Thanks.
I bought a CB500x, my son took me to pick it up and was looking at a 250L and the salesman asked him if he wanted take a 250L for a test spin. My son rode both bikes and said the X would be his choice, no contest.

My new X
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #742
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: SW Missouri USA
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
I bought a CB500x, my son took me to pick it up and was looking at a 250L and the salesman asked him if he wanted take a 250L for a test spin. My son rode both bikes and said the X would be his choice, no contest.

My new X
Father/Son CB500X's= way cool!
__________________
1999 TW200, 2012 NC700X
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #743
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
Father/Son CB500X's= way cool!
No, I let him ride my bike, and the dealer let him ride the 250L, My son rides a R6
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #744
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: SW Missouri USA
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
No, I let him ride my bike, and the dealer let him ride the 250L, My son rides a R6
I meant he should get a 500 Too! I can't wait until my two boys can get the NC700X. Easier for keeping spare parts that way!
__________________
1999 TW200, 2012 NC700X
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #745
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.
 
dirtydeeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Can
Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
I meant he should get a 500 Too! I can't wait until my two boys can get the NC700X. Easier for keeping spare parts that way!
The wife is getting a 500 shortly. I wish I could get one for that reason. Tool/part compatibility is a great thing. I'm just way too tall for the bike.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #746
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 951
Thumb Thanks for the Feedback

I went to Fun Bike Center, here in San Diego.

I sat on a 500X and a 700X. Like CageronTwoWheels, said in his video, the bike feels really light. I was suprised. Later at home it hit me that the tank is empy. So add about 27lbs to the tank, and the ease of movement would go down a bit. But, really light. Granted, my combat boots were on the ground flush with a slight bend in the legs, so my legs helped stabilzed her.

On the 700X, it did feel heavier than the 500, and you have to lean forward just a little more. I did not like the rear tail light set up on the 700, but the 500 looked good.
__

You guys are making great points with the comparasion to the CRF250L. What I'm looking to do will require thousands of miles on the tarmc. That extra 95lbs (when adjusted for fuel and tank mass) and 25 horses, wind protection, luguage room, range, P. Twin would help out a lot on the highways. And, the Interstate would now be an option at any hour of the day.

Ohh, I almost forgot. I looked under the 500X. No suprise, no protection. But it is not as vuneralbe as the 700X under belly (with a 4.7" wider wheel base.)

I'm hoping that by early next year, there will be some good products out there for a skid plate. Not for the TAT, but for just forest roads and other well groomed areas that may have a sudden dip or something.

By the time I buy in November or December, the 2013 250L will be gone and so instead of a $1,500 up grade it would be a $1,300. Up grade.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #747
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 951
Sport Touring

The 500 reminds of a Sport Touring MC. So, not knowing anything about this type of bike, I looked into the Big Three Japananse brands.

The closest bike is the Honda CTX700. Which has even less of a wheel base than the 700X. CTX700= 60.2" NC700X=60.6"

The CTX700 range is at 202 miles range. And of course the suspension is less than the 500, but not much.

Kawasaki has nothing close to the 500X.

Suzuki has the V-Strom. Great bike (love the 19" tire), but at 472lbs, wheel base of 61.4", with just a little more range than the 500 (58mpg X 5.3 gallon fuel tank), I'll pass. Plus, the 64hp is a little more than what I'm looking for. If was 6'-3" and 200lbs, the V-Strom would be a easy buy. However, I"m 5'-8" and 163lbs.

Suzuki's has no sport touring bikes.


I guess the 500X is not recreating the wheel, it's just that there is a market for it. I do not like Adventure Bike as a lable (seeing how Honda did not want the bike to venture off road for the press release in Spain. Something like Sport Touring Cross over would be good.

One last thing.
How, many P. Twin 470cc bikes are on the market today? It seems like that is really small for a P. Twin.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #748
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
The 500 reminds of a Sport Touring MC. So, not knowing anything about this type of bike, I looked into the Big Three Japananse brands.

The closest bike is the Honda CTX700. Which has even less of a wheel base than the 700X. CTX700= 60.2" NC700X=60.6"

The CTX700 range is at 202 miles range. And of course the suspension is less than the 500, but not much.

Kawasaki has nothing close to the 500X.

Suzuki has the V-Strom. Great bike (love the 19" tire), but at 472lbs, wheel base of 61.4", with just a little more range than the 500 (58mpg X 5.3 gallon fuel tank), I'll pass. Plus, the 64hp is a little more than what I'm looking for. If was 6'-3" and 200lbs, the V-Strom would be a easy buy. However, I"m 5'-8" and 163lbs.

Suzuki's has no sport touring bikes.


I guess the 500X is not recreating the wheel, it's just that there is a market for it. I do not like Adventure Bike as a lable (seeing how Honda did not want the bike to venture off road for the press release in Spain. Something like Sport Touring Cross over would be good.

One last thing.
How, many P. Twin 470cc bikes are on the market today? It seems like that is really small for a P. Twin.
Honda made the first "effort" for the A2 licence category, we can expect
more bikes from other manufacturers probably soon.

Kawasaki had the GPZ500, ER5 and KLE500 all based on a 500cc twin
that had 60, 50 and 43-ish hp up to about 2007.

Suzuki left the game with the GS500 I believe in 2006, it was an air cooled
500, 45hp ballpark, Kawi had them beat there.

Honda also had the CB500/CBF500, 500cc/50hp like others mentioned,
also up to around 2006-07, maybe still in some markets.

Not aware of any Yamaha small twins in the past 10 years, but they got
a 500 and 530cc scooters that are parallel twins and produce 43 and 47hp.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #749
Adelphos
Adventurer
 
Adelphos's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska or South Dakota depending on the season
Oddometer: 96
Man I really hope these sell like hot cakes and push Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawisaki to follow suit!

In the mean time, if there were another bike with the same size/specs/etc I would look into it, but for now it really is unique and seems to really have a market.

It's been hard to find one here in South Dakota / Nebraska area but I'm no doubt getting an X sooner or later.

When is prime time to buy do you think? I'd like one before next Spring but this Fall would obviously be better.

Keep the feedback coming fellas. It is really helpful to those of us searching but don't have a local one to take test rides.
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #750
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 951
Thumb Wow, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Honda made the first "effort" for the A2 licence category, we can expect
more bikes from other manufacturers probably soon.

Kawasaki had the GPZ500, ER5 and KLE500 all based on a 500cc twin
that had 60, 50 and 43-ish hp up to about 2007.

Suzuki left the game with the GS500 I believe in 2006, it was an air cooled
500, 45hp ballpark, Kawi had them beat there.

Honda also had the CB500/CBF500, 500cc/50hp like others mentioned,
also up to around 2006-07, maybe still in some markets.

Not aware of any Yamaha small twins in the past 10 years, but they got
a 500 and 530cc scooters that are parallel twins and produce 43 and 47hp.

Thanks for the input! It would have taken a couple of hours to research this.

Interesting.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014