Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #766
JLP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
If I was going to ride it as you suggest, I would go with some Shinko 705's; inexpensive, very good on pavement and better than the Scorpions on gravel. I have went through 3 rears and 1 front on my DR, and will probably go that route as well when the time comes on the X. I ran some gravel roads today; the street oriented suspension and tires hindered it, but was still capable of 35-40 Mph
Thanks. I really have dug around online. I think this might just be what I'm after with the option of those tires. I wouldn't see myself any faster than that on the stuff I'm thinking of.
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #767
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Stupid question...I'm a slow conservative rider. Late 40s. I have about 10 years of riding about 10 years ago on a R80/7 and a Cb400f.

Everything about this motorcycle appeals to me with one hesitation. How will it do on dirt roads? I'm just talking logging roads at a conservative pace. That would only be say 20 percent of the riding I would do. I suspect I wouldn't ride anything a Subaru outback couldn't drive.

I've thought about a CRF250l, but I keep coming back to this. Would some different tires be desirable and available, or would it be just fine.
The CB500X will be perfectly fine for what you want to do. Shinkos or if you want to take it further the TKC80s will give you everything you need on gravel roads.

Having had the 2 bikes you mentioned I reckon you'll feel very much at home with the X. The CRF is a fine bike too, but a very different beast, not so good on the other 80%.

:-) dq.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #768
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Well, my last post was more about me rather than the CB500X. Keep in mind that pavement riding is 99% of my riding, and the comparisons to real, or imagined, off-roaders does not fit me.
Start up is right away. No enrichener or choke lever involved.
Pirelli Scorpion tires grip on the street very well.
Very stable on gravel roads that I would have not ridden my last 2 bikes on for 75'.
Extreme lean angles on paved curves, if my feelers touched, It would be WSB.
Very inexpensive insurance.
Fuel it any where, no search for premium.
Very easy to keep clean with out expensive waxes, or washing shampoos.
No one knows what it is! If you are looking for a Poser, forget the CB500X.
Cage drivers (and children) are cool with the low note sound.
More to come later, if you are interested!

Finally, someone riding the bike

More info please, how does it crusie on the highway? Can you go 75 all day, seat comfort, wind buffeting etc?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #769
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post

Kawasaki has nothing close to the 500X.
The Versys has been out for what, five years?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #770
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
More like 7 years!

I've spent some time on a versys and my own dirt ninja. Sat on the 500x the other day and it seems much smaller in stature to the kawi products. CG seems to be much lower as well.

I think the X could be modified to be very much lighter than the dirt ninja, anyone want to sell their used 500x
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #771
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
More like 7 years!

I've spent some time on a versys and my own dirt ninja. Sat on the 500x the other day and it seems much smaller in stature to the kawi products. CG seems to be much lower as well.

I think the X could be modified to be very much lighter than the dirt ninja, anyone want to sell their used 500x
After riding both bikes I would agree with you about size and cg. The Versys feels quite top heavy in comparison, and has more vibes.

Would be interesting to see if the old 41mm Transalp fork and 21 inch wheel fitted without much trouble.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #772
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Would be interesting to see if the old 41mm Transalp fork and 21 inch wheel fitted without much trouble.
I imagine rather easily.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #773
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,445
Anyone here had a chance to test fitment of kreiga bags on theirs yet? More specifically about US30 size? I don't know why but the pics I see just don't appear very spacious.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #774
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Just finished 400 miles from Moab to Taos, through cold rain, hot desert, dirt roads, even hooliganed through Arches last night... This bike absolutely rocks. I keep telling myself that 500 isn't enough, then I find myself strafing curves fast than I do on my DR650 or 919, it's that flick able. Even flogging the bike, I'm getting high 60's, with my last tank getting 235 miles, showing one bar left. When I traded for the x, I was over halfway into my trip, so I shipped a lot of un necessary things home, traveling with the bare essentials, some clothes, rain gear, Hennessy hammock, sleeping bag, and electronics; this rig will get me through 3-4 camping nights... I have 950 miles to cover in the next two days...

What did you trade-in?
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #775
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
My tall windshield arrived today. I wear a open face helmet, and noticed a Big improvement.

theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #776
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 585
Talking Doohooh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

Opps,

You're right.

Hell, even the Wheel base is the same.

And has 6 gears.

When adjusted for fuel it is just a little heavier.

It has great sport touring abilities.
__
Thanks for keeping me honest.

___
Dogjaw,

thanks for the close up pick. Your rig is very stream line. My kind of style.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #777
bbrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
A little more that fits me. Top to bottom. moved the wind screen up to the higher setting. Tools required, but very simple to do even at a gas stop within minutes. Would like to tip the bars a degree or two more in alignment with the fork tubes without interfering with the wind screen. The seat is fine for me, and the slope towards the front and fuel tank away from your body works well. Mirror sight line works very well. No night rides yet, so no comment so far on the headlight range. The squishy foot pegs, and counter balanced motor take away any road vibes. Gearbox, and clutch action super smooth as you would expect. Passing on 2 lane roads is a non issue, so long as you are aware of the oncoming traffic bearing down on you. Interstate travel at +/- 80 is a non issue. With plugs in your ears, you only notice the tach and speedo. I am very happy, and will have more input after riding to INDY
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #778
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Opps,

You're right.

Hell, even the Wheel base is the same.

And has 6 gears.

When adjusted for fuel it is just a little heavier.

It has great sport touring abilities.
__
Thanks for keeping me honest.

___
Dogjaw,

thanks for the close up pick. Your rig is very stream line. My kind of style.
Yes, all that for just $2000 over the 500 MSRP.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #779
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,299
Just brought home a shiny red one for wifey. She's really stoked. I am too. Such a nice bike. Fuel injection, ABS, no vibes, decent height and a comfortable riding position were our milestones. The bike is a little taller than we wanted. It shall be lowered a couple inches.

It's replacing a 640SM and a ninja 250. Better comfort than the 250 and less vibes than either. It's incredible how smooth it is.

Riding it around the 'hood I noticed it doesn't shift as easy as my SMT. It does handle slow speed driving really nice. Tore down our rutted, grass alley without a problem. To me that means it will handle the rough stretches of road one might encounter with ease. It's no less of an 'off road' bike than many other ADV bikes. Sure it's got a 17" front wheel - it's also much lighter than many bikes.

Looking forward to posting some pics.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #780
Adelphos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
It looks like I'm going to have to wait until after Winter to buy my X. I hope supply is well enough to get one ordered this Spring with no issues.

Silly Midwest only has two street bikes, sport bikes or Harleys . . .

I really appreciate all the feedback. Keep the details coming :)
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote