ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #796
Gham
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gham's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Auburn Hills,MI.
Oddometer: 1,304
I glanced at the Honda website and didn't see what the GVWR was,anyone have any idea what this bike will carry before it starts crying for mercy or the shocks just say "screw it".
I'm guessing my wife,myself,and some gear are just too much.
Me by myself (210 lbs) with some gear it should be just fine.

Now that I start doing the math I wonder if a wee would work
__________________
Member 6204

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #797
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart
 
DonQx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Land of Oz
Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Anyone on Facebook know how the 500X went in the race above?
FB site is in Thai ... me not speak that language

Looks like race isn't finished yet, they're up to leg / day 5 now

pic of race results for leg 5 below

CB500X race numbers are 112 and 104. 112 doesn't show, 104 place 7 of 15.

114 and 101 are CRF450s methinks.

DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #798
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I glanced at the Honda website and didn't see what the GVWR was,anyone have any idea what this bike will carry before it starts crying for mercy or the shocks just say "screw it".
I'm guessing my wife,myself,and some gear are just too much.
Me by myself (210 lbs) with some gear it should be just fine.

Now that I start doing the math I wonder if a wee would work
My owners manual does not show GVWR, but say's maximum weight capacity is 377 pounds or (171 kg) plenty for me since my wife wont ride.
theloop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #799
Cruz
Lost but laughing.
 
Cruz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northside Brisbane, Qld Australia
Oddometer: 5,876
Thanks Don.
__________________
"I reckon it would be good getting a heap of XR's in the one spot and watching a heap of blokes kicking fuck out of there bikes and swearing."

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #800
Jud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: N.E. Ga. USA
Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasiet View Post
Do you believe the damper rod from an NC700X would be interchangeable with the one on this bike? Both are 41mm Showas, and per the parts fiche, many of the fork internals have the same part numbers. This might be a dead nuts simple way to bump the front up to 6.0 inches of travel, especially if one was already going spelunking down there to install a set of cartridge emulators.
That's a great idea. Some folks cut and lengthen the OE tubes if it's only an inch. I ended up using a DR650 damper tube and fork tubes in my DL650 fork bottoms as I wanted more height and the DR tubes gave me all I wanted. I will be using the cut and lengthen method on my wife's Ascot though. I will admit that if the dampers are the same dia. and the bolt dia is roughly the same,,,, it would be slick as long as Honda doesn't want an arm and a leg for them. Don't forget to closely compare the rebound hole diameters.
__________________
Pics- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...eon/?start=all
Places visited on two- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...0two%20wheels/
Endeavor to Persevere
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #801
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasiet View Post
Do you believe the damper rod from an NC700X would be interchangeable with the one on this bike? Both are 41mm Showas, and per the parts fiche, many of the fork internals have the same part numbers. This might be a dead nuts simple way to bump the front up to 6.0 inches of travel, especially if one was already going spelunking down there to install a set of cartridge emulators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
That's a great idea. Some folks cut and lengthen the OE tubes if it's only an inch. I ended up using a DR650 damper tube and fork tubes in my DL650 fork bottoms as I wanted more height and the DR tubes gave me all I wanted. I will be using the cut and lengthen method on my wife's Ascot though. I will admit that if the dampers are the same dia. and the bolt dia is roughly the same,,,, it would be slick as long as Honda doesn't want an arm and a leg for them. Don't forget to closely compare the rebound hole diameters.
I'm not this far in my thinking, since I won't be doing this until sometime next summer. But I like the idea.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #802
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.
 
dirtydeeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Can
Oddometer: 2,528
The soupy link and side stand went on as easy as it should have. Fairly quickly, which was good. I already have a shortage of time to spend in the garage.

I dropped the front about 1.5" in the triples and the (adjustable) link brought the back down about 2.5".

Here she is, finally flat footed on a bike:



The only gripe we still have with it is the rear brake. Anybody tried changing to a different brand pad to get a little more feeling out of it?

There's a few other things we'll add to the bike - bar warmers, hand guards and some sliders. And some levers that are friendlier to small hands.

Aside from that, Honda did really well with this bike.

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 11:18 AM
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #803
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adelphos's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska or South Dakota depending on the season
Oddometer: 106
Looks really good lowered. Glad to hear it's easily doable for the short folks out there.

Let us know what levers you find. When I sat on the CBR version I really didn't like those either. I'm assuming they're the same.

How tall is your wife, for reference? I'm 5'8" but my lady is only 5'1" with about a 27" inseam and only 105lbs so finding bikes is near impossible.
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #804
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.
 
dirtydeeds's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Can
Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Looks really good lowered. Glad to hear it's easily doable for the short folks out there.

How tall is your wife, for reference? I'm 5'8" but my lady is only 5'1" with about a 27" inseam and only 105lbs so finding bikes is near impossible.
She's a bit over 5-1". Around 110lbs. She's got some Daytona Lady Star boots. Adds a bit of height. She said I could even raise the bike up a bit.

We went through some tough times finding a nice bike for her. I know your pain. She doesn't like cruisers and most bikes are to heavy for her. Her first bike was a KE100 a few years ago. Fond memories, there. Then the Ninja 250, a lowered KTM 640SM and now the CB5X. We'll have this bike for awhile.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #805
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adelphos's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Nebraska or South Dakota depending on the season
Oddometer: 106
Thanks, man.

Honestly she just likes riding along but I HATE riding two up. I don't want to force her onto a bike of her own but we'll see. Giving rides takes all the fun out for me unless its a commuting thing where we're going to the same place quick.

I'm even considering a scooter for her to cruise around town with me. Then we can two up occasionally if we go camping from the bike or something.


Either way, thanks for the feedback.
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #806
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery
 
SpaceManSpiff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Oddometer: 1,075
Wow, the 500X seems like a solid ADV-lite platform to me. Perhaps like a KLR or G650GS with about the same weight (430# ish), with more on-road smoothness and modern engine architecture at the cost of off-road ability?

With upgraded longer-travel suspension and and either a 19"F/17"R or 21" F/18"R wheel conversion, I feel that this bike could be a really sweet 1-up gravel road explorer.

relatively light weight
runs on regular
frugal modern engine with a reasonably large gas tank (for good range)
relatively low red-line (for durability)
compact parallel twin
solid aftermarket support
valves can be adjusted without pulling cams
__________________
Wildlife Biologist for Hire!
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #807
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,961
As is, I can see some running a skid plate, front TKC-80s and rear K60 on on this bike and doing light off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Wow, the 500X seems like a solid ADV-lite platform to me. Perhaps like a KLR or G650GS with about the same weight (430# ish), with more on-road smoothness and modern engine architecture at the cost of off-road ability?

With upgraded longer-travel suspension and and either a 19"F/17"R or 21" F/18"R wheel conversion, I feel that this bike could be a really sweet 1-up gravel road explorer.

relatively light weight
runs on regular
frugal modern engine with a reasonably large gas tank (for good range)
relatively low red-line (for durability)
compact parallel twin
solid aftermarket support
valves can be adjusted without pulling cams
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #808
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,961
5.5" of front travel...
will the top of the fork hit the lower triple clamp under full compression???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
The soupy link and side stand went on as easy as it should have. Fairly quickly, which was good. I already have a shortage of time to spend in the garage.

I dropped the front about 1.5" in the triples and the (adjustable) link brought the back down about 2.5".

Here she is, finally flat footed on a bike:



The only gripe we still have with it is the rear brake. Anybody tried changing to a different brand pad to get a little more feeling out of it?

There's a few other things we'll add to the bike - bar warmers, hand guards and some sliders. And some levers that are friendlier to small hands.

Aside from that, Honda did really well with this bike.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #809
Cdc28p
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 37
Another question for dirtydeeds: how does the lowered CB500x handle? Do you notice any significant difference from before the lowering?
Cdc28p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #810
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GezwindeSpoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The land of the Dutchmen
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
5.5" of front travel...
will the top of the fork hit the lower triple clamp under full compression???
No it won't, about 5cm left
__________________
FE570; CB500X; KLE500

GezwindeSpoed screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 02:20 AM
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014