Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #841
JLP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
If I had any doubts about the off road ability of the X, I don't after today; I did approximately 30 miles of moderate to rough gravel roads on the stock set up, averaged 25-30 mph... The only obvious limitation was the tires; first gear was too short to be of much good, but second was perfect for descending hills using engine braking and steady climbing. The suspension travel was more than adequate for this type of riding; I'm starting to realize the potential for this bike as the perfect all arounder; some Shinko 705 or 244's, some engine protection and away you go.
Thanks for posting this. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger.
JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #842
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
i will be honest and bring my biased opinion to the table. road my Wee to the Honda dealer today to look at the Grom and sit on the 500x. i feel like i made the right choice with the Wee. the 500x just doesn't seem nearly as beefy as the wee, probably because it's not. i like the size of the Wee. i can definitely see how the weight is more central and how the bike would be a blast around town, but i think i would have some regrets with the 500x.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #843
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
i will be honest and bring my biased opinion to the table. .
how does that possibly mean much without riding it?
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #844
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
If I had any doubts about the off road ability of the X, I don't after today; I did approximately 30 miles of moderate to rough gravel roads on the stock set up, averaged 25-30 mph... The only obvious limitation was the tires; first gear was too short to be of much good, but second was perfect for descending hills using engine braking and steady climbing. The suspension travel was more than adequate for this type of riding; I'm starting to realize the potential for this bike as the perfect all arounder; some Shinko 705 or 244's, some engine protection and away you go.
My only concerns about tires are (1) are they strong enough to take the potential damage from big gravel, rocks, etc., and (2) is the tread aggressive enough to get a bite going uphill in mud/clay (not deep stuff, just slick stuff). I briefly got into some rough gravel in road construction today on my F, and it did surprisingly well. That's not offroad by any stretch, but some of the gravel was big enough to knock me off my line a fraction and the tire quickly bit and went on its way without a bobble from the bike. I also encountered everyone's street favorite, a 3-4" curb with no way to hit it more squarely than a 45 degree angle and traffic pushing me hard - no problem, the suspension handled it fine.

The more I ride my 500 the more I like it.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #845
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
i will be honest and bring my biased opinion to the table. road my Wee to the Honda dealer today to look at the Grom and sit on the 500x. i feel like i made the right choice with the Wee. the 500x just doesn't seem nearly as beefy as the wee, probably because it's not. i like the size of the Wee. i can definitely see how the weight is more central and how the bike would be a blast around town, but i think i would have some regrets with the 500x.
The lack of "beef" is the very thing that swayed me from the wee, as much us I love the Vtwin... The X is big enough to not be blown around on the interstate, but whips through the twisties like a 250.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #846
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
I'm sure you made the right choice for you, I have read that you use the wee on the freeway to commute to work, which I'm sure the wee would do better than the lighter cb500x. I don't use my cb500x to commute to work on, I use it for pleasure riding on back roads, and with all my years of riding, I have never looked back at a ride thinking, boy that was a great ride on that freeway, but I do look back at rides through small towns and on two lane back roads, and look forward to more of the same. I sure the wee is also good on back roads and through small towns. I had a 750 shadow that I'm sure would cruise better than the lighter wee and cbx on the freeway, but that's not where I want to be. I read that everybody say's the wee is better in the dirt with its 19" front tire, but that is also not my first choice to be, but it can be done on the cbx, since it is a light bike and in your words the "weight is more central" not every bike is for everyone, and there are bikes for different purposes, and the cbx fits my purpose.
Plus I think the MPG is going to be the icing on the cake.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #847
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
The lack of "beef" is the very thing that swayed me from the wee, as much us I love the Vtwin... The X is big enough to not be blown around on the interstate, but whips through the twisties like a 250.
I have not rode my bike on the interstate yet, and wont much, but I see why it is so good in the twisties compared to my 750 shadow. Just look at the specs, this bike is much closer to a cbr600rr than a 750 shadow (wheel base, rake, trail, ect.)

Engine Type471cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder745cc liquid-cooled 52 degrees V-twin
Bore And Stroke67mm x 66.8mm67mm x 42.5mm79mm x 76mm
Compression Ratio10.7:112.2:19.6:1
InductionPGM-FI with 34mm throttle bodiesDual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) with 40mm throttle bodies, Denso 12-hole injectorsPGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 34mm throttle body
IgnitionComputer-controlled digital transistorized with electronic advanceComputer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-D mappingDigital transistorized with electronic advance
Valve TrainDOHC; four valves per cylinderDOHC; four valves per cylinderSOHC; three valves per cylinder

Drive Train

CB500XCBR600RRShadow Aero
TransmissionSix-speedClose-ratio six-speedWide-ratio five-speed
Final DriveO-ring-sealed chain#525 O-ring chainShaft

Chassis / Suspension / Brakes

Front Suspension41mm fork; 5.5 inches travel41mm inverted Big Piston Fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; TBD inches travel41mm fork; 4.6 inches travel
Rear SuspensionPro-Link single shock with nine-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travelUnit Pro-Link® HMAS™ single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travelDual shocks with five-position spring-preload adjustability; 3.5 inches travel
Front BrakeTwin-piston caliper with single 320mm wave discDual radial-mounted four-piston calipers with 310mm discsSingle 296mm disc with twin-piston caliper, ABS
Rear BrakeSingle caliper 240mm wave disc/Single 220mm disc180mm drum, ABS
Front Tire120/70-17 radial120/70ZR-17 radial120/90-17
Rear Tire160/60-17 radial180/55ZR-17 radial160/80-15

Dimensions

Rake26.5 degrees23.5 degrees (Caster Angle)34.0 degree (Caster Angle)
Trail109mm (4.29 inches)97.7mm (3.9 inches)161mm (6.3 inches)
Wheelbase55.9 inches53.9 inches64.6 inches
Seat Height31.9 inches32.3 inches25.9 inches
Curb Weight430 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel?ready to ride410 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride)573 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride)
Fuel Capacity4.5 gallons4.8 gallons3.7 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve

Other

Model IdCB500XCBR600RRVT750CS
EmissionsMeets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.Meets current EPA standards. California version meets current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.Meets current EPA standards. California version meets current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
Available ColorsMatte Black MetallicRed, Repsol Edition, White/Blue/RedBlack
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #848
dogjaw
plays well alone

Moab Utah to Mabelvale, Arkansas, 1360 miles in two days loaded with camping gear to get home in time to move my daughter into her dorm; yeah, I'd say the X has no problems with the interstate.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #849
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Moab Utah to Mabelvale, Arkansas, 1360 miles in two days...
Wow. Good work.
I try not to do that anymore.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #850
dogjaw
plays well alone

A week later and I'm still paying for it; patellar tendinitis is kicking my butt.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #851
nmtrialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Question X vs. F--What's the Major Differences?

Other than the obvious different front end plastics, does anyone know the differences between these two models? I don't have ready access to a dealer, so just wonder if there is much difference between these two models?
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #852
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,764
Seat height, suspension travel, wheelbase, ground clearance.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #853
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
I'm sure you made the right choice for you, I have read that you use the wee on the freeway to commute to work, which I'm sure the wee would do better than the lighter cb500x. I don't use my cb500x to commute to work on, I use it for pleasure riding on back roads, and with all my years of riding, I have never looked back at a ride thinking, boy that was a great ride on that freeway, but I do look back at rides through small towns and on two lane back roads, and look forward to more of the same. I sure the wee is also good on back roads and through small towns. I had a 750 shadow that I'm sure would cruise better than the lighter wee and cbx on the freeway, but that's not where I want to be. I read that everybody say's the wee is better in the dirt with its 19" front tire, but that is also not my first choice to be, but it can be done on the cbx, since it is a light bike and in your words the "weight is more central" not every bike is for everyone, and there are bikes for different purposes, and the cbx fits my purpose.
Plus I think the MPG is going to be the icing on the cake.
i will be honest, the MPG is really nice on the X and with how many miles i ride, would be nice to have as well. i'm also sure that the X would work well on the highway.

my Wee does spend a lot of time on the highway. it for sure is more bike than i am a rider on the twisties. but then again, i have this for the twisties on the weekend anyways:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8007308...57630515234266

although, the Wee would definitely be the only bike i'd own if i could only have one..

like i said when i made my post. i'm biased.. unless i find someone close who wants to swap for a ride, i probably won't get to ride a 500x anytime soon. until then, enjoy the ride those that have them. :)
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #854
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Seat height, suspension travel, wheelbase, ground clearance.
Price.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #855
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQx View Post
Grab installation instructions from here:
http://cdnxl1.louis.de/shop/zusatz/anl/10022880_13.pdf

http://cdnxl1.louis.de/shop/zusatz/anl/10022879_13.pdf
In each doc 1st pages in German, then the English version