User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #931
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,514
A bit of bad luck on our part.
The CB5X decided to part with its water pump gasket with less than 500km on it. It's at the dealer now. They had it in their shop and diagnosed in about 1/2hr. No waiting, no excuses.
Good work to Camrose Honda.
I'm sure the bike will be flawless for the coming years.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #932
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 979
Saw an X on the showroom floor today. At MSRP it's a bargain.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #933
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Oddometer: 1,441
Fuel Economy

Greetings.

I went to a MC dealerhsip today.

Honda had a fuel economy poster on display.

The CRF250L had 73mpg
The NC700X had 64mpg

Both of these match up with the info on the Honda website under the specs sheet of the respected MCs.

However, the 500X was at 71mpg on the poster.
There are no numbers on the website.

Intertesting.
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #934
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Greetings.

The CRF250L had 73mpg
The NC700X had 64mpg

Both of these match up with the info on the Honda website under the specs sheet of the respected MCs.

Intertesting.
While the Fuelly sample is very small the CB500X average is starting to cluster between 59 and 64 mpg. The NC700X is well represented between 61 and 71 mpg.

In the USA we use the EPA test cycle for cars and light trucks but no joy for motorcycle. The MPG numbers Honda uses for those showroom tags probably come from the EC test cycle which may not reflect the way we ride.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #935
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Greetings.

The CRF250L had 73mpg
The NC700X had 64mpg

Intertesting.
Download the brochure from the Honda Website:

2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #936
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Oddometer: 1,441
Another off-roading video

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wuXJFFmi4

Around the 2 min mark, the rider comments on the bike ride.

The volume seems low, so if you turn the volume up on your console turn it down before the rider gets on the road (at very end), the volume jumps up real quick.

Good video.

Title does what it says. Rider provides good feedback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8wUCjWcgQ

This is from the same rider as before.
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #937
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
For me, I have never had a ride on the freeway that comes close to one of my favorite rides. The CB500x is great for what I use it for, but if somebody wanted a bike for riding hundreds of miles on the freeway 2-up, I wouldn't recommend it.
I have only sat on one of these and have not ridden one yet, but it appears that, its fuel range, upright seating, and decent power would be good enough for interstate travel. I need a bike that can handle commuting, brisk riding on tight mountain roads, and interstate traveling. What do you think it is about the cb500x that limits this ability and what may be a better choice?
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #938
WhichWayRound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
I have only sat on one of these and have not ridden one yet, but it appears that, its fuel range, upright seating, and decent power would be good enough for interstate travel. I need a bike that can handle commuting, brisk riding on tight mountain roads, and interstate traveling. What do you think it is about the cb500x that limits this ability and what may be a better choice?
I've just got back from my annual trip to the isle of man on my cb5x doing it's first long distance trip. From where I live in London to the port at Heysham it's 260 miles or thereabouts. The cb5x was flawless on the motorway with me travelling between 60-80mph at times.

I was travelling 1-up with 2 full panniers and camping gear, i'm 5' 7" and weigh in at a feeble 60kg and did not need to adjust the rear shock from it's factory setting.

I will certainly be using the cb5x long distance again and again in the future, however i did notice a few minor drawbacks (just to balance the post).

Unless you have cast iron buttocks, the seat will hurt after around 1-2hours, I used a sheepskin to aid this slightly.

My mpg lowered on the motorway to around 68mpg (UK) I normally average 71 mpg. In future I will be changing sprockets to get more top end and this should help this slightly.

As for 2-up, depending on your sizes/weigh/luggage, I think the cb5x would manage this with the rear shock needing an adjustment. I will be trying a full 2-up + luggage trip in the near future and will post on how it does.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #939
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,520
Owners Manual:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwmY.../preview?pli=1

2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 11:37 AM
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #940
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
185#, 5'6", 70# of camping gear, I was wearing cycling shorts under my Sliders, back to back 600 mile days... The CBX handled it no problem, I sure was ready to be home, but that would be true of any bike, at least with me on it.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #941
Zole
n00b

Oddometer: 1
CB500x seat question

I checked 2 bikes at 2 different Honda dealers, and noticed some strange gap between front end of the seat and fuel tank. I could stick my fingers under the seat and even fold the seat material.
Is it standard seat design on this bike (CB500X), or those seats were not properly mounted?
Thanks for help...

Z.
Zole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #942
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,823
Probably an installation problem; mine was a little fiddly the first couple of times I messed with it, especially if you're in a hurry...
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #943
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zole View Post
I checked 2 bikes at 2 different Honda dealers, and noticed some strange gap between front end of the seat and fuel tank. I could stick my fingers under the seat and even fold the seat material.
Is it standard seat design on this bike (CB500X), or those seats were not properly mounted?
Thanks for help...

Z.
I took the seat off in a dealership and had a devil of a time getting it back on properly. I don't think the salesperson was able to either and he left it askew. Probably happens frequently. I'm sure owners can learn the trick to getting it on properly and it would not be a problem.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #944
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,106
Because I am so amazingly intrepid, I FB-friended the Thailand Honda racing page and asked him if they would release more information and specs on their CB500x and he said that was coming soon.

To me, that racebike is THE ADV bike if there ever were one. Was one? Whatever!
John Ashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #945
TH Honda X Challenge
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
It's the real deal, that's for sure.

I would LOVE to know the details of the 2 builds, and why one bike went with a 21" front while the other one went with a 19". Either way, the parts used, specifically the forks/clamps, would be really great to see. Does anyone have these details?

-SM
Hello all , thank you for your interested our project. Bike's modifications details are coming soon (we're on photo shooting progress.) easier , please follow up our facebook cuz i'm not here often.Out line regarding our CB500X Rally Version prototype is supported by Honda Racing Team Thailand to make a CB500X to going to new horizons especially on the off-road route.To responsed this idea.We're improved front and rear suspensions to get highier performance and more safty on off-road.With is ideal,we're have 2 solution for experimental.First is for real "hard-core off-road rider" reponsed by front fork from CRF450R or another MX bike fork with long travel,surely for more budget riders.Another choice is "soft-core" or over all rider who need something give they more comfortable on off-road or rough-road.With this solution,we focusing on "low budget" and easy installation for anyone can step closer.The front fork came from CRF250L because there is to cheeper and with softer factory std setting,can be feel ride comfortable.About the wheels there's not any tricky,two of our prototype CB500X can be running by 21F and 18R wheels for fully off-road cover.And also running on 19F and 17R wheels for various use on rough road.Tire choice is option of this decided.21F and 18R has many off-road tires option in the market,same as 19F and 17R has may high speed off-road or all terrain tires in the market.That's is..
TH Honda X Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote