ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #1171
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I stumbled on a 500x at my local dealer a while back and I can't seem to shake my attraction to this bike,I'm kinda in the market for a new bike and will probably end up with a Wee Strom but the 500x keeps calling.
If you're comfortable with the physical size of the 500x and 45-hp seems adequate, I'd go with the X. But if your a big person and/or do a lot of open-road touring, the Wee is a LOT more bike. The Wee is just an exceptional all-arounder.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #1172
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
If you're comfortable with the physical size of the 500x and 45-hp seems adequate, I'd go with the X. But if your a big person and/or do a lot of open-road touring, the Wee is a LOT more bike. The Wee is just an exceptional all-arounder.

- Mark
Seems to pretty much be the general consensus.

Commuter plus highway jaunts - CB500X

Long haul highway plus some commuting - V Strom

Have the time and money - BOTH ( I wish )
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #1173
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Thanks for the responses to my post.I like the lower overall cost of a 650 and under bike,and I'm a small guy so small bores haul me around well,the Strom is nice because the aftermarket is on par with what I'm used to(KLR 650)and the used market is bursting with good farkeled Stroms,that said the 500x is a bit smaller and the price new almost makes me say "heck ya" to financing a bike,but I just stumbled on 2004 Strom with 17000 miles for 3200$ and I'm gonna go look at it.I use my KLR for most of my life's duties and find its good for all I do and it's quite good at keeping me away from the law in terms of speeding,but I'm wanting more comfort.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #1174
Tylenol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I stumbled on a 500x at my local dealer a while back and I can't seem to shake my attraction to this bike,I'm kinda in the market for a new bike and will probably end up with a Wee Strom but the 500x keeps calling.
I know, by all measurable standards the wee strom seems like the better pick; better after market, more clearance, bigger engine more hp and I hear the suzuki 650 is a rock, but the Honda just has this allure. I just got a good look at a 500x and 700x today when I got some fuel line and filters and they looked... mmm... unintimidating compared to the pictures. I think with some more agressive tires any one will do what I ask of it, the 500x's price tag calls me. I feel like I could realistically get a new one in a year or 2. And the aftermarket will probably be on par with the strom in a few years.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #1175
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
I know, by all measurable standards the wee strom seems like the better pick; better after market, more clearance, bigger engine more hp and I hear the suzuki 650 is a rock, but the Honda just has this allure. I just got a good look at a 500x and 700x today when I got some fuel line and filters and they looked... mmm... unintimidating compared to the pictures. I think with some more agressive tires any one will do what I ask of it, the 500x's price tag calls me. I feel like I could realistically get a new one in a year or 2. And the aftermarket will probably be on par with the strom in a few years.
I agree,went to the dealer today and marveled at the 500x again,I have a friend who owns a naked 500 and wants me to ride his he says"ride mine and you'll be sold"the bike just calls me!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #1176
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
I have got to go get a look at one of these. I have sat on a R and it felt good. I have road one of honda's CBR250Rs and was surprised at the usable power it had. it didn't struggle anywhere in the power curve. If this 500 feels as smooth as the 250 did but with more umph it has to be a great feeling bike to ride.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #1177
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
i agree with everything here except the aftermarket. i really do not see it being nearly as good as the Stroms has and will continue to be.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #1178
Tylenol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
i agree with everything here except the aftermarket. i really do not see it being nearly as good as the Stroms has and will continue to be.
I find it all depends on the popularity, if the bike is popular and there is money to be made in the aftermarket then there will be an aftermarket, if not then well no. Only time will tell, I really hope you will be wrong because if I end up with one of these when they start selling used I would like to know I can get some goodies...

Edit: I should point out my thinking is based on cars and trucks, motorcycles might follow a different rule of thumb.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #1179
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,707
Already after market options available. I am sure SW Motech and Givi will follow soon:

http://www.motomachines.com/CB-500-X_c_624.html

Plus, Honda Accessories:

They need to add: "Heavy Duty Peg Feelers"

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"

mcmann screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 04:38 PM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #1180
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Already after market options available. I am sure SW Motech and Givi will follow soon:

http://www.motomachines.com/CB-500-X_c_624.html

Plus, Honda Accessories:

They need to add: "Heavy Duty Peg Feelers"

Them are all Honda after market items, but Givi and hepco becker already have after market for the X, and lots of windshield options are out there. About the only thing I don't see that you can find for the wee is a good skid plate, but the bike is more for carving up the twisties, not the trails.
theloop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #1181
AndrewTucker23
What was I doing?

Oddometer: 77
I've noticed that around 5000 rpm I get a kind of harmonic vibration fromthe faring. Has anyone else noticed this?
AndrewTucker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #1182
Tylenol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
Them are all Honda after market items, but Givi and hepco becker already have after market for the X, and lots of windshield options are out there. About the only thing I don't see that you can find for the wee is a good skid plate,
Bah! who needs aftermarket for a skid plate? just go to Canadian Tire pickup some 16 or 14 gage and go visit that uncle who is a professional welder you have not seen in years to fab it up for ya, thats what I would do... better bring some beer to smooth things over lol.

Quote:
but the bike is more for carving up the twisties, not the trails.
If you were going to carve the twisties then you would probably buy the CBR or the 500F. The X seems like it would go just as far as a strom would if the driver is both skilled and careful. At the same time however, if I could get a new Strom for the same price as a 500X then I would get the Strom hands down, if it wasn't too tall for me.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #1183
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
If you were going to carve the twisties then you would probably buy the CBR or the 500F. The X seems like it would go just as far as a strom would if the driver is both skilled and careful. At the same time however, if I could get a new Strom for the same price as a 500X then I would get the Strom hands down, if it wasn't too tall for me.[/QUOTE]

With the CB500x you can have a good bike for twisties without the forward lean, weight on your wrist ride (I like to see over cars, and it also makes it easier to turn back and look over your shoulder) Remember the X and the R are made pretty much from the same platform, so handling is a lot alike.
Below is a link to a review comparing the 650 wee to a cb500x.
http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapa...-honda-cb500x/
theloop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #1184
DonQx
Peripathetic @ Heart

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTucker23 View Post
I've noticed that around 5000 rpm I get a kind of harmonic vibration fromthe faring. Has anyone else noticed this?
On mine at ~3900, 4900 & 5900 rpm since installing the Hepco & Becker tank & engine guards. Mostly from the tank guard.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #1185
Tylenol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
With the CB500x you can have a good bike for twisties without the forward lean, weight on your wrist ride (I like to see over cars, and it also makes it easier to turn back and look over your shoulder) Remember the X and the R are made pretty much from the same platform, so handling is a lot alike.
Below is a link to a review comparing the 650 wee to a cb500x.
http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapa...-honda-cb500x/
You make a good point and the review was very informative. I read over the Long Term Strom too, that is a cool build. The review was right about one thing, it does call to new riders, it certinely calls to me.