Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #196
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammca View Post
Ok this is my first multi day rally. My first rally at all actually. I went on a benefit ride when I owned a cruiser and hated that. hated the cruiser to begin with. Long story> Anyways my father is coming in from PA, screen name and "in-list" Pallbearer37. I live in central AR. We are both KLR owners now. I think I know the answer to the first question but want to make sure. Do we show up Friday or Sat? based on the first page it says meals included starting with a Friday night dinner. So this is two days of riding, Sat and Sun? or is there group rides starting Friday and we need to get there Thurs night?

if you can show up thurs, the more the better for you..you'll get at least two full days of off road riding in..and won't feel rushed to get home on sunday..but if you show up friday, say after morning, at abt lunch time, still plenty of time for ya to go "explore"..plenty of easy county dirt roads to ride. As for a group ride, usually riders meetings happen between 8 and 9am..if you have any questions as to how difficult the ride, ASK the ride leader! Rides are really kicked back and those leading the rides are there to keep you from gettin lost mostly. So if you show up on friday, you get to eat all weekend

Next question is the routes and the organized/unorganized groups or rides put together each day. Do we need to commit to a group or route before the rally or we figure this out when we get there. We are interested in off road fairly knarly stuff. I just noticed that there is a link for routes and trax. I am a newbie to gps and trax and the routes so didn't know if I am supposed to pick some route and make sure Im in another in-list or something?

if anything, WAYPOINT your camp! That way if you do get lost, it will lead you back to camp..and again, while at SLAP, you got gps questions, ASK..plenty of folks there to help explain it to ya..as for picking a route or a track, nah, dont worry abt it for now, but bring your gps anyway, you may learn sumthin!

Either way we are looking forward to it so we can ride together, father son stuff. We haven't ridden together since I moved from PA to AR in 2002. we are really loving our KLR's.

So maybe a quick rundown from a veteran of the SLAP rally would clear up my questions. Thanks so much.
So C'mon and have some fun with us!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #197
4STAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Great reply to the questions. This will help many of us who have not been to SLAP. I am planning on arriving Thursday.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #198
C-Rad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thurs night it is

So I am assuming that showing up on Thurs night is covered in the price we paid for the rally? or do we need to call Byrd's for camp spot thurs night? Sorry for the stupid questions.

C-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #199
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
So I am assuming that showing up on Thurs night is covered in the price we paid for the rally? or do we need to call Byrd's for camp spot thurs night? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thursday is not covered and I do not think reservations will be needed based on the amount of space at the facility and it will be a week night. The camping fee is reasonable. A few of us from Tulsa may be there as early as Wednesday night.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #200
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,536
Quote:
So I am assuming that showing up on Thurs night is covered in the price we paid for the rally?...
See the thread title... and a calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
Thursday is not covered and I do not think reservations will be needed based on the amount of space at the facility and it will be a week night. The camping fee is reasonable. A few of us from Tulsa may be there as early as Wednesday night.
Agreed. I'll be heading over there Wednesday.
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:55 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #201
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,536
Update / Reminder(?):

SLAP early registration deadline is May 1st.

What does this mean?... T-shirt ordering closes. SLAP Swag for early registrants only.

Registration CLOSES on Friday May 10th.

What does this mean?... The paypal link will be disabled and only "cash for scraps" will be accepted. We need to give final numbers to the catering company. Showing up at the event with cash does not guarantee that we will have enough food. We'll do our best to make sure everyone gets fed though.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #202
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,638
Quote:
Next question is the routes and the organized/unorganized groups or rides put together each day. Do we need to commit to a group or route before the rally or we figure this out when we get there. We are interested in off road fairly knarly stuff. I just noticed that there is a link for routes and trax. I am a newbie to gps and trax and the routes so didn't know if I am supposed to pick some route and make sure Im in another in-list or something?
Most of your questions have been answered well enough, but since I'll most likely be leading a group I thought I'd chime in here.

The terrain at Byrd's and the surrounding area is very diverse. There is everything from beautiful gravel roads, two-tracks, quad trails, all the way down to single track that was originally built for hikers. A 2 stroke 200 would have difficulty with the itty bitty single track, so be careful when asking for "knarly" terrain. It won't be KLR friendly. Your best bet would be to find a group with similar type bikes to join in to. Try to squeeze into a group full of EXC's and WR's and you are not going to have a good time. Jump in with a bunch of other KLR's and you'll have a blast.

It isn't a race or a competition. It's all about having fun with a bunch of other gear-heads. And we always seem to figure out how to have a good time. Even Doc
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #203
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

I also wanted to post up a little more information about the Saturday evening festivities I've got planned . . .

Somewhere around 6pm, there will be a friendly big-bike trials type competition set up in the campground. It won't be difficult or dangerous, just fun. There will be a section set up and you'll have to navigate it 3 times trying not to put your foot down. It will be scored using trials rules.

1 dab = 1 point
2 dabs = 2 points
3+ dabs = 3 points
fail (outside boundary, stalled bike, handlebar touches the ground, both feet on the same side of the bike (you fell off)) = 5 points

Lowest score wins! I don't know what they'll win, but I'm sure it will be something cool and they will definitely have bragging rights

I will adjust the course for the types of bikes that want to compete. If a bunch of GS's want to compete, it'll be more open. If it's all a bunch of little mx bikes, I'll make it a little more difficult. We'll be sure to make it fun no matter what.

Saturday night dinner is scheduled for about 7pm the last I heard, and we'll also have a band Saturday night for your entertainment brought to you by the fine folks at Designated Vaping.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #204
Crashit
GO HARD OR NOT AT ALL

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
Lock up your goats and leave your women at home.......
Plenty of goats in the area.
Been a long time man.
Crashit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #205
C-Rad
Adventurer

Laugh Thanks for all the input

just want to say thanks for clearing up questions I had. not to sound sarcastic, but it may have seemed I asked the obvious and that i didn't see the very first post and the dates involved. I've read this thread three times and no one ever said when the majority shows up. Firday morn, friday afternoon, Friday evening with just plans for a full day ride on Sat and some on Sun ,or is Friday a "deisgnated "group ride semi organized thing at some point in the day. My father, a local friend and i are showing up Thur late afternoon regardless. So if this means some will be there to start riding on Friday morn then fantastic. If we are winging it on our own till later then fantastic either way.

As far as my comment about knarly terrain with my KLR or three KLR's for that matter I was just interested in more than a scenic route gravel road type of thing. I definately dont want to get into something that the bike or I can't get out of. I like a challenge but I sure dont want to screw up other's ride because i bit off more than I can chew.

So something that is not quite single track constant work for 8 hours but not just dirt gravel roads that i can do anytime.

I know blah blah, just show up and ride. getting way to deep into the weeds about it right? I get to ride with my dad again so regardless of terrain it is going to be a blast.

See you all there.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #206
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 696
Check out the day 2 route from here that Tim O'leary came up with.
http://www.thearkansasearthday500.com/

it's a full day of mixed terrain, river crossings, technical bits, etc.
All three days were great actually.

I'd also go grab some of the routes from the link on the first page of this thread so you have some loaded. I'm planning on getting there Thurs and tagging along with O'leary as much as possible. He seems to be dialed in to the area and also stops to smell some roses and see some sights along the way.

Just talk to people and I'm sure you'll find a group you click with that have similar trip interests.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #207
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

There is no "show-up" time and there are no "designated" group rides. Show up when you can, talk to folks, and find a group of like-minded riders to ride with.

Ask questions. Find out what kind of bike someone rides and where they're planning on riding. If it sounds interesting, include yourself. If it doesn't sound like what you're looking for, move on and find another group to ride with . . . or make your own group. Do some research, gather some tracks, announce your plans, and I'm sure you'll have a few people interested before you know it. Small groups (3-5 bikes) are usually more fun than large groups (10-15 bikes). Take turns leading. Get lost. Make an adventure out if it.

Be sure to mark a waypoint for the camp so you can find your way home, though

It may sound hap-hazard, but it really does work well.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #208
C-Rad
Adventurer

thanks again

yep got it loud and clear. I will be messing with the GPS this weekend with garmin basecamp and the routes and trax I can download.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #209
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,850
Haphazard = Adventure!!

Just mark "home" for the food!!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #210
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,926
What Joe said.....