Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #211
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Last year I didn't make it, said I would. Same as the year before, and the year before. So I ain't jinxin it:

I AM NOT GONNA BE AT SLAP THIS YEAR! NO WAY. UH-UH. NOPE. WOULDN'T BE THERE FOR A MILLION FREE GAS GAS PARTS. (my luck, they'd all be the same part, a left hand-euro spec cotter key or something).

But i sure hope whatever I'm doing that weekend, it's at the same campground, with a bike, with other riders, just NOT AT THE SLAP RALLY. At the slap rally? Me? No way! Not gonna be there.

Anyone know if Devro, or Disco, or Dingo, or Dizzy Pete, or any of the Russellville crew will be there?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #212
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,381
Look at Post #3 on the first page and you can see who is signed up!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #213
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,072
Just an FYI in case you haven't seen your payments posted.

I've received checks and paypal payments. I'll look to update the list today.

Thanks Everybody!
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #214
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,558
Fun With Google!

For those of you working on maps and tracks and thinking about the new $400.00 Garmin device purchase and $250.00 of topos, I might suggest an alternative. Please excuse my tech ignorance if you are already aware of this but your can now download off-line maps in the google maps app to your android device(not sure about IPhone).

I have not tested it yet but this is something I was hoping would happen for a long time. So basically you can work on routes from your desktop and save them to your google profile and then utilize them later when you are out of data connection range.

A few of the limitations:

No Bread Crumbs
Conversion of old GPX tracks is difficult
Power Management on Androids phones

I will still use my garmin 60csx but it will be nice to have access to full touch screen interface.

Also: For those planning to rendezvous with others or groups you might try the the Latitude function in google maps. I have found that it is helpful when tracking others on the road. (needs data connection and really kills the battery life but its a cool feature)

If I manage to keep my android powered up during the event you are welcomed to stalk me, just send me a request via latitude at newner77@gmail.com

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #215
XATLASX
Doomsday Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am planning on leaving Nashville,Ar on Thursday afternoon and riding to Byrds...

If anyone is along the way, I'd be more than happy to join up!

I haven't decided if I want to ride straight to byrds Thursday afternoon, or camp Thursday night and finish up Friday morning...Depends if anyone else is traveling at the same time.

XATLASX screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 01:41 PM
XATLASX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #216
nnichols
Slave to the Machine

Oddometer: 149
SLAP 2013 - May 17-19 @ Byrd's Adventure Center Ozark, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
For those of you working on maps and tracks and thinking about the new $400.00 Garmin device purchase and $250.00 of topos, I might suggest an alternative. Please excuse my tech ignorance if you are already aware of this but your can now download off-line maps in the google maps app to your android device(not sure about IPhone).

I have not tested it yet but this is something I was hoping would happen for a long time. So basically you can work on routes from your desktop and save them to your google profile and then utilize them later when you are out of data connection range.

A few of the limitations:

No Bread Crumbs
Conversion of old GPX tracks is difficult
Power Management on Androids phones

I will still use my garmin 60csx but it will be nice to have access to full touch screen interface.

Also: For those planning to rendezvous with others or groups you might try the the Latitude function in google maps. I have found that it is helpful when tracking others on the road. (needs data connection and really kills the battery life but its a cool feature)

If I manage to keep my android powered up during the event you are welcomed to stalk me, just send me a request via latitude at newner77@gmail.com
Funny you mention that. My Garmin gave up a while back, and I'm going to try to run my iPhone with a waterproof case and either MotionX GPS or Trimble Navigator. Both can cache topo maps as well. Trimble Navigator is $2.99/mo for the data, and it supposedly can show forest road info as well.

If anyone wants to add me in Latitude, I'm nate237 at gmail.com. Also, I'm planning on bring my amateur radio HT if anyone else is licensed (I'm know Farscape is), in case we run into another case where someone decides to ride down into a valley and get stuck with no cell service (sound familiar? )

I'll stop threadjacking now.

nnichols screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 03:24 PM
nnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #217
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,819
I wonder how well these cell phone GPS's will work in an area were cell towers are few and far between

Some of y'all may be lost way down in the bottom of a holler...seems all them cell phone GPS apps were designed for city folk to assist in starbuck search.

Am curious tho and hope to see some reports on how it worked way out here..no, really, I am curious!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #218
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
I wonder how well these cell phone GPS's will work in an area were cell towers are few and far between

Some of y'all may be lost way down in the bottom of a holler...seems all them cell phone GPS apps were designed for city folk to assist in starbuck search.

Am curious tho and hope to see some reports on how it worked way out here..no, really, I am curious!
Smart phone GPS don't need a tower although they can use the towers to get a faster fix.
I used my Driod with great results last time I was in the Ozarks.
link to my review.
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #219
Farscape
Oh, look! Orange koolaid!

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnichols View Post
Funny you mention that. My Garmin gave up a while back, and I'm going to try to run my iPhone with a waterproof case and either MotionX GPS or Trimble Navigator. Both can cache topo maps as well. Trimble Navigator is $2.99/mo for the data, and it supposedly can show forest road info as well.

If anyone wants to add me in Latitude, I'm nate237 at gmail.com. Also, I'm planning on bring my amateur radio HT if anyone else is licensed (I'm know Farscape is), in case we run into another case where someone decides to ride down into a valley and get stuck with no cell service (sound familiar? )

I'll stop threadjacking now.
I'll bring my Yaesu VX-3R Nate. We can be the emergency services coordinatiors (SAR) We may be pretty busy if it goes anything like last year
Farscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #220
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,072
Thumb 77 Registered

I've cleaned up the list with INs OUTs PAIDs and T-Shirts.

So if you've paid and I haven't acknowledged it, please let me know.

Also, please check your T-Shirt sizes. These are going to print very soon and the size on the list is the size that get's ordered. So you can trust that I got it right or double check - your choice .

If you're marked with IN and not PAID - could you please verify your intent of coming and how you can best pay. Not to dun anyone, I just want to make sure everyone who wants in gets in.

There's still time to register if you haven't, just post up your intent and PM me with your payment plans.

Come join the 77!
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #221
nnichols
Slave to the Machine

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post

The iPhone has a built in GPS, so that coupled with the fact the apps can store the maps offline make not so worried about lack of cell coverage.

What I do expect to be problems are 1) battery life, and 2) interface usability. These things are designed to be used without gloves. I've tried before on the bike and it was clunky. I've got a cheapy stylus coming that I'm going to try.

I'd love to get a Garmin Oregon but I can't stomach the price. If it doesn't work I'll follow someone who looks like they know where they're going
Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #222
ktmdude2002
Lost in transition

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
I had Trimble Navigator downloaded when I was at the AR500. Our ride leader (who shall remain nameless) with the latest & greatest Garmin Montana was constantly lost & rerouting. EVERY time I pulled out my HTC One X and opened it up, it gave accurate location. I didn't download routes, but it was easy to see where we were with the local topos that I had downloaded.

Quote:
The iPhone has a built in GPS, so that coupled with the fact the apps can store the maps offline make not so worried about lack of cell coverage.

What I do expect to be problems are 1) battery life, and 2) interface usability. These things are designed to be used without gloves. I've tried before on the bike and it was clunky. I've got a cheapy stylus coming that I'm going to try.

I'd love to get a Garmin Oregon but I can't stomach the price. If it doesn't work I'll follow someone who looks like they know where they're going
The GPS on the latest Android phones works phenomenally. The trickiest thing is to download the correct scale and amount of map coverage that you need. But, even that is a no-brainer after a couple of tries. GPX route downloads are outlined on multiple videos that you can see on the Trimble website or U-tube. Also, Thumb dogs make a great product for using gloved hands with cell phones. I just sew them onto the forefinger of the glove.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #223
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 549
At those speeds who has the time to look at GPS
[QUOTE=ktmdude2002;21290989] Our ride leader (who shall remain nameless) with the latest & greatest Garmin Montana was constantly lost & rerouting.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #224
Firebolt
Clemson

Oddometer: 24
In and PAID!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #225
Skeet279
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pics of Byrds

In case you are wondering what it looks like there, here are a few pictures I took last year at Byrds. Of course I was riding when all the cool pictures were going by.

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/AdQPp34f/1/5582136

BAD decisions make GOOD stories!
Skeet279 is offline   Reply With Quote