Jeep Sahara Unlimited 75 49.34%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #61
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX View Post
I would encourage anyone looking for a fancy four door "SUV" to not get the Wrangler Unlimited. While I love my JK (that's the two door, thanks, with a stick and ragtop), the largest about of projected butthurt on Wrangler forums are from people who bought the truckster version, paid extra for the Mygig Quantum 3000 sound system, leather, and a hardtop... and found out they didn't get sokething remotely close to what they wanted despite spending comparable $$.

All this could be avoided by seeking out vehicles that are actual SUVs, and not a Wrangler based kinderwagen.
What a bummer. I was really looking forward to next week when I could show you my new JK unlimited with hardtop, my gig, and rich, supple corinthian leather. I'm installing a lift, 35's, rock rails, winch, bumpers, and a full rack of lights.

You'll find me at the local mall.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #62
Tork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,421
Bump , thinking of pulling the trigger on a leftover 2013 Xterra .
Have a 1997 Wrangler Sport that need replaced .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #63
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post

Do it. We have a 2007 S with 80K on it and it's still tight, quiet and everything works. It has developed a problem with an HVAC servo stripping out an actuator gear which results in a very annoying rapid clicking for about 10 seconds every time you start the vehicle now. This is first problem we've had with it. I imagine the new 2013s and 14s are better in several ways.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #64
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
I have a 2003 nissan xterra with now 157,700 miles on it. It has never been in the garage. It has only failed to get me where I needed to go twice. Both were batteries. Which i feel are normal to go after 5 or so years.

Jeeps are WAAAAY over priced for a Chrysler product.

Jeep= Chrysler product = would not buy.

It is literally amazing to me the people that dump money into Chrysler products and continue to buy more and seem to be ok with it.....
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #65
olegbabich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
After doing Jeep thing for 15 years, our Xterra feels like a Sports Car.

Jeeps are a lot of fun though.

Good luck.
olegbabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #66
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
I have a 2003 nissan xterra with now 157,700 miles on it. It has never been in the garage. It has only failed to get me where I needed to go twice. Both were batteries. Which i feel are normal to go after 5 or so years.

Jeeps are WAAAAY over priced for a Chrysler product.

Jeep= Chrysler product = would not buy.

It is literally amazing to me the people that dump money into Chrysler products and continue to buy more and seem to be ok with it.....
The new poster hasn't said what his needs are. If off road is the purpose du joure, the engine and interior from the '07 to the '12 are night and day better.

However, if he's looking for a nice car/SUV, I'd probably get the Xterra.

In terms of price, number of people who buy them, if they are junk, etc, well, um, dude, I think the market would disagree with you and that folks must be pretty stupid. Over 1 million JKs have been sold, and in the laws of supply and demand and the free market, I'd say the market has spoken that it is none of these due to the same model of Wrangler now being in production for 7 years, and the resale is still through the roof.

Conversely, how many Xterras have been made/sold? How many were at SEMA? How big is the aftermarket support? Etc. So to put it another way, I'd actually look at a JK as a much more sound investment than the Nissan.

My point is that your statement is a bit ignorant at a minimum and that I still hold to the debate between these 2 vehicles is apples to oranges. That is, it should be what are the purchaser's needs as opposed to which machine is junk or not.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #67
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
The new poster hasn't said what his needs are. If off road is the purpose du joure, the engine and interior from the '07 to the '12 are night and day better.

However, if he's looking for a nice car/SUV, I'd probably get the Xterra.

In terms of price, number of people who buy them, if they are junk, etc, well, um, dude, I think the market would disagree with you and that folks must be pretty stupid. Over 1 million JKs have been sold, and in the laws of supply and demand and the free market, I'd say the market has spoken that it is none of these due to the same model of Wrangler now being in production for 7 years, and the resale is still through the roof.

Conversely, how many Xterras have been made/sold? How many were at SEMA? How big is the aftermarket support? Etc. So to put it another way, I'd actually look at a JK as a much more sound investment than the Nissan.

My point is that your statement is a bit ignorant at a minimum and that I still hold to the debate between these 2 vehicles is apples to oranges. That is, it should be what are the purchaser's needs as opposed to which machine is junk or not.
Dude,

First of all he posted in a xterra vs. wrangler thread, I never said that jeeps were junk. What I said was that I WOULD NOT BUY ONE! I have had a good experience with 2 nissans.

And I never said that Jeep buyers were intelligent. People buy things for lots of reasons.

I believe that both the OP and the other guy were looking for advice. Which is what I gave.

Finally.....id still put my money on Nissan. Chryslers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #68
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
Dude,

First of all he posted in a xterra vs. wrangler thread, I never said that jeeps were junk. What I said was that I WOULD NOT BUY ONE! I have had a good experience with 2 nissans.

And I never said that Jeep buyers were intelligent. People buy things for lots of reasons.

I believe that both the OP and the other guy were looking for advice. Which is what I gave.

Finally.....id still put my money on Nissan. Chryslers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, there's just too much Nissan intelligence for me on this one...

Lighten up, Francis.

Oh wait, I have to add Nissan's SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Why? They don't make cars to fit my goony goo goo butt, they have the styling of a microwave, and are generally just about as exciting as a Bic pen. So there!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #69
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
I had a 2000 wrangler and an 2006 Xterra Offroad edition. I had the jeep for work and it got the job done without any issues, but that was 5 years ago. I bought the Xterra last year and it was a blast! I'm a sports car guy and the xterra was the right amount of fun, power, and utility that I needed from an SUV. But I also made sure I grabbed the 6 speed manual to ensure the fun. The main purpose of my Xterra was to get me to the mountains and back. It always had power, no matter how high in elevation I went up, it cornered so good that I never worried about throwing it around in the canyons, and it was capable off road. The rear seating was nice because I would always keep the seats down with enough room to set up a flat sleeping bag area with enough room for my mtn bike or snowboard as well. The only reason I sold mine is because I bought it for 14k last year and threw it up on CL for 18k at the beginning of summer to help my motorcycling fund, and it sold within a day for 17.8k. I do miss it and am constantly trying to convince myself to buy another one.

The downfall to the new Jeep unlimited is the power. My best friend has an 07 unlmited and it can't handle going up the mountain passes. It's similar to the 1988 Cherokee that I had that barely made it up to 30mph when traveling west on I70. Another snowboarding buddy has a newer Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. It has a mild lift and a manual tranny, but he still has issues trying to keep speed in the mountains. That is the biggest downfall, and the reason I would never buy a newer Jeep. Other than that they are awesome vehicles and have a ton of new, and craigslist support for parts.

But if you do decide to get the Xterra make sure you get it in the Pro4x model with a manual transmission and in a common color. They hold their value and are sought after on the used market when the time comes to move on.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #70
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I bought my 2009 Wrangler Rubicon brand new, nicely equipped with a hard top and a soft top, power equipment group, satellite radio, blah, blah blah. Sticker was about $32,000. I paid $23,000 after all rebates and discounts, and I got 0% financing for 4 years...
So, in other words, a Jeep Rubicon (unlimited?) SHOULD be a $23,000 rig. But they go ahead and ask $10k more and make customers go through a whole BS song and dance to see who can bone who over the most?

And people wonder why dealers and makers get so much hate.

IMHO, the Nissan would win a logical analysis, most likely. However, the Jeep would win an emotional analysis. Both can be valid reasons for making the purchase, but it's good to be aware of and honest about the filters that are used.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #71
NOTCH 8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
I had a 2000 wrangler and an 2006 Xterra Offroad edition. I had the jeep for work and it got the job done without any issues, but that was 5 years ago. I bought the Xterra last year and it was a blast! I'm a sports car guy and the xterra was the right amount of fun, power, and utility that I needed from an SUV. But I also made sure I grabbed the 6 speed manual to ensure the fun. The main purpose of my Xterra was to get me to the mountains and back. It always had power, no matter how high in elevation I went up, it cornered so good that I never worried about throwing it around in the canyons, and it was capable off road. The rear seating was nice because I would always keep the seats down with enough room to set up a flat sleeping bag area with enough room for my mtn bike or snowboard as well. The only reason I sold mine is because I bought it for 14k last year and threw it up on CL for 18k at the beginning of summer to help my motorcycling fund, and it sold within a day for 17.8k. I do miss it and am constantly trying to convince myself to buy another one.

The downfall to the new Jeep unlimited is the power. My best friend has an 07 unlmited and it can't handle going up the mountain passes. It's similar to the 1988 Cherokee that I had that barely made it up to 30mph when traveling west on I70. Another snowboarding buddy has a newer Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. It has a mild lift and a manual tranny, but he still has issues trying to keep speed in the mountains. That is the biggest downfall, and the reason I would never buy a newer Jeep. Other than that they are awesome vehicles and have a ton of new, and craigslist support for parts.

But if you do decide to get the Xterra make sure you get it in the Pro4x model with a manual transmission and in a common color. They hold their value and are sought after on the used market when the time comes to move on.
Your friends 2007 Wrangler had a pig of an engine.
The 2012+ model Wranglers are much improved, and power is never an issue.
I'm only stating this because you said "The downfall to the new Jeep unlimited is the power"
Obviously, bigger(heavier) wheels and tires are going to rob power. That is not a problem of just a Jeep...that's a problem with almost an vehicle.
NOTCH 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #72
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
IMHO, the Nissan would win a logical analysis, most likely. However, the Jeep would win an emotional analysis. Both can be valid reasons for making the purchase, but it's good to be aware of and honest about the filters that are used.
That's why I bought the Xterra over the Jeep -- it made more sense for how I was going to actually use it. Both are fine vehicles. The Jeep was gong to cost a lot more upfront but has better resale, so I figured that might wash out over time.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #73
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
What a bummer. I was really looking forward to next week when I could show you my new JK unlimited with hardtop, my gig, and rich, supple corinthian leather. I'm installing a lift, 35's, rock rails, winch, bumpers, and a full rack of lights.

You'll find me at the local mall.
Yes we know, you will be crawling around and around that mall, because the last time you took it off road you damaged it more in one outing than all your two door jeeps combined. It was enlightening to me that if I get a four door, I better not expect it to perform off road like a two door without some upgrades-thanks for that insight.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #74
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
My wife has a 2012 Xterra pro 4 x, she loves it, great in the snow.
apriliacati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #75
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
So, in other words, a Jeep Rubicon (unlimited?) SHOULD be a $23,000 rig. But they go ahead and ask $10k more and make customers go through a whole BS song and dance to see who can bone who over the most?

And people wonder why dealers and makers get so much hate.

Let's not jump to contusions

It should not be (or in this case should not have been) a $23,000 rig new. I got that price because it was early 2009 and both the economy and the car business were in a tailspin. I got $5000 in rebates, $2000 in additional dealer coupons and the dealer sold it to me for net cost. In other words, they further discounted the vehicle to their actual cost. The dealer got a very limited number of these dealer coupons at that time from the manufacturer for use as assistance in closing a deal and moving a unit. Remember, Chrysler was going bankrupt at that time. It was better to lose money selling a vehicle than to not sell it at all. Without a doubt they lost thousands selling that Jeep to me.

When you think about all of the equipment a Rubicon comes with there's no way you can suggest it is a $23,000 vehicle. Conversely I don't think a loaded 4 door Rubicon is worth $45,000, but apparently others disagree with me and are willing to spend that much every day. Even as ridiculous as that might be, the resale value on Wranglers is so high it winds up not costing that much to own one over the course of a few years. Nothing from Nissan, Toyota, et al even comes close in this respect. Additionally, nothing from any other manufacturer comes anywhere close to the out of the box off road capability of a Rubicon. There really is no comparison, regardless of the fact that many folks who purchase them (particularly the 4 door) never take them anywhere you couldn't take a Ford Taurus

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: