Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
doggrell3000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
2015 harley freewheeler trike

dear forum

trikes are not well loved . i think it is because they are usually ugly . but nobody can deny that trikes are safer on the highway because they don't go down . the new 2015 harley freewheeler is the first trike that i personally find esthetically pleasing . the lines are relatively simple and it has a handy built in trunk . the harley 2015 freewheeler has not been released and it will be priced near 30 thousand ( price tbd ) . the 2015 harley freewheeler would be a safer way to tour the country . harley already has another trike at the dealer but it is too overdone --- like most trikes . the new 2015 freewheeler looks cleaner and sleeker . i want a harley freewheeler for long haul trips . not that i have 30k laying around .

Spied: 2015 Harley-Davidson Freewheeler Trike - Motorcycle USA
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,849
I wouldn't be so fast to call them safer. I used to ride a three wheeler offroad and that thing would tip very easily.

Guys with no legs should ride trikes on the road. If your legs work fine then you're just a pussy. IMHO
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Oh boy...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
lolpetewtf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
What happened to the guy's head
lolpetewtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
ShOqUePoT
GS Pot

Oddometer: 31
Helmets are not well loved amongst pirates. But nobody can deny this new stylish helmet is safer on the highway than a pudding bowl and/or doo-rag.
Options on the freewheeler include trunk-mounted wooden chest and chromed brass monkey.
Seriously, I always thought those trikes looked tippy or prone to front end plow. Never rode one.
ShOqUePoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Spy shots and speculation. Not that I object, just that harley has not said this is real, and has not released it. Regardless, I visually like it far more than the tri-glide.

I do not agree with you that trikes are inherently safer. While not prone to falling over at stop signs, they can be quite exciting in emergency maneuvers.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,719
Seriously?

Can we not get the Penster already, or a Harley cycle car? How about a VRSC powered Milwaukee Morgan?

kraven screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 06:13 AM
kraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
TheProphet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Thumb

IMO Trikes have two advantages:

1.) They allow riders who are too old, or riders that have obtained some physical malady that prevents them from continueing on two-wheeled rides, to ride once again. Anything that allows riders to ride longer into old age... is a good thing.

2.) Trikes allow for additional luggage space for extended, cross country type trips. IMO, better than pulling a trailer.

Let's face it - not everyone is able to ride a motorcycle (two wheeled). It is what it is. Maybe we shouldn't judge nor belittle those who cannot. Why begrudge them the simple pleasures and experience of open-road riding? Are we then no better than common elitists?

In the end, anything that gets people out on the road, and out of conventional cages... is a good idea.

Motorcycles are nothing more than an assembly of steel, aluminum, titanium, rubber, plastic, etc. They have no soul. It's the human (?) sitting on top - and their individual personality/character that makes it good... or bad.
TheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
doggrell3000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
the guy's head is blanked out

the rider's head is photoshopped out because it is pixilated in the spy shots . i admit it looks a tad weird but the link to the spy shots show more of the harley freewheeler -- all with pixilated heads . my guess is the freewheeler will be in harley showrooms next year . i of course have not seen that many trikes in the flesh ( metal? ) but this one looks more like a two wheel bike than most trikes in my humble opinion . as far as being a pussy who does not care to flat foot at stop lights -- i have been doing that for thirty years on my beat up triumph . are trikes safer on long highway trips ? of course . but you would be just as dead on three wheels as on two wheels if you crash into a truck .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
ShOqUePoT
GS Pot

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
IMO Trikes have two advantages:

1.) They allow riders who are too old, or riders that have obtained some physical malady that prevents them from continueing on two-wheeled rides, to ride once again. Anything that allows riders to ride longer into old age... is a good thing.

2.) Trikes allow for additional luggage space for extended, cross country type trips. IMO, better than pulling a trailer.

Let's face it - not everyone is able to ride a motorcycle (two wheeled). It is what it is. Maybe we shouldn't judge nor belittle those who cannot. Why begrudge them the simple pleasures and experience of open-road riding? Are we then no better than common elitists?

In the end, anything that gets people out on the road, and out of conventional cages... is a good idea.

Motorcycles are nothing more than an assembly of steel, aluminum, titanium, rubber, plastic, etc. They have no soul. It's the human (?) sitting on top - and their individual personality/character that makes it good... or bad.
I hope we can all agree with the spirit of that.
I can't at all see how they would be safer while moving on any road, highway or other. Never rode one but the geometry looks off for cornering.
If that's all you are able to ride or what you enjoy then trike on!
ShOqUePoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #11
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
I'm on the "trikes should only be ridden by those that are unable to ride a two wheeled bike" bandwagon, however even if my legs stop working, I'll be going with a sidecar. Sidecars are a lot more fun than trikes and more practical.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Apparently it is a 2015 model?

I have to admit I have a hard time understanding the draw of trikes as travel devices. I can maybe understand them as an around town weekend attention seeking toy, but to travel? Compared to bikes, you are just as vulnerable to the elements . You have very little more protection in the event of an accident and may have more problem avoiding said accident. Owners I've talked to with conventional trikes have complained of understeer if you try to push at all in corners. You have to pick 3 lines to avoid road obstacles, etc., etc. A couple I've observed out on the back roads sure looked like they were getting a bumpy ride. I've driven them and other than sound, I just don't see the relationship to riding a bike. Hell, I'm having a hard time adjusting to my Cross Country Tour as motorcycling.
To each their own obviously, but personally I'd just buy a good used sports car for the money.

vicster screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 10:29 AM
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
I'm on the "trikes should only be ridden by those that are unable to ride a two wheeled bike" bandwagon, however even if my legs stop working, I'll be going with a sidecar. Sidecars are a lot more fun than trikes and more practical.
+1. I've already said I'm never going to have a trike but I could see myself with a side hack rig.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Thanks to the mods for cleaning this thread up. It would be nice to have a thread about Harleys that the Harley Haters didn't piss all over.

I'm not saying everyone has to like Harleys, but if you don't just move on without comment and let those of us that enjoy Harleys have an adult discussion.

There are bikes I don't like. I don't open the threads about them and keep my comments to myself. I don't get why some people can't just live and let live. Please stop being an and

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,719
People should ride whatever they want, regardless of infirmity.

Trikes aren't my thing, unless they have 2 in the front. But I grew up on Honda ATC's that tipped like a Vegas whale if you cornered too hard. So that's my damage. But, you know, people want to ride trikes, and keep their face in the wind, why the hell not?

I would say that I like this one about as well or better than any other factory effort I've seen. It's cleaner and less fancy