User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
John Joel Glanton OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
What's the Story on the BMW R1200RT?

Quick background on my current bike situation: I have been riding a Suzuki V-Strom (DL-1000) for the last several years. I originally got it because I was tired of riding cruisers down the highway, seeing dirt roads, and wondering where they went. I have done some mild dual-sporting on it and even rode it in the 2007 Texas Adventure Ride. Most of my traveling on it has been long distance highway stuff. (Idaho, Washington Oregon, Colorado etc.) Since then, I got a used DRZ400S, did a lot of work on it, and just rode it on the TransAmerica Trail. So, I now have a true, dedicated dual-sport bike and a mostly street bike that I have primarily used for long distance traveling. On my last trip to Idaho, I ran across a guy on a BMW R1200RT and I liked the bike. Two weeks ago in Ouray, CO, I met several people on R1200RT's and again liked what I saw. I had been thinking about a Honda ST1300 but I keep coming back to the BMW. I'm now sitting here thinking about getting one...maybe a used one....2 or 3 years old.

Somebody please tell me about the R1200RT. I know all the info that you can read on the BMW website but I'm looking for some advice based on real-world experience.

- Are they prone to certain mechanical problems?
- What's the truth about maintenance? (frequency, cost, difficulty, etc.)
- Any final drive problems?
- What about all the electronics? I have been reading about all the high-tech stuff on this bike (CANBUS???) and the ABS and the shocks. (Someone said their RT's ABS went bad and it would have cost $2000 to fix it if it weren't for the warranty!)
- How do they compare to the V-Strom?
- What's it like to travel long-distance on these bikes? (I regularly ride b/t 500 and 800 miles in one day when I travel)
- Do you have to be rich to own one?
- I'm still under 40 and solidly middle class. Will this disqualify me? Is there some law that says I can't have one?:

Seriously...I'd love to hear from fellow riders with some time on the R1200RT. Thank you for any advice or opinions you can offer.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
I worked in the rental biz. The RT was one of the most rented bikes. they had two '07s. But the final drive failure rate was 50% under 50k.

get an FJR.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
John Joel Glanton OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
But the final drive failure rate was 50% under 50k.
Are you serious? That bad?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Great bike but I would not trust that final drive on a long trip without roadside assist. My 1200 gs adv. basic same bike, had the final drive go at 12000 miles with little warning. Cost about $2000.00 out of pocket if not under warranty . However BMW has been replacing them out of warranty to keep it quiet i.m.o..
Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
John Joel Glanton OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker
Great bike but I would not trust that final drive on a long trip without roadside assist. My 1200 gs adv. basic same bike, had the final drive go at 12000 miles with little warning. Cost about $2000.00 out of pocket if not under warranty . However BMW has been replacing them out of warranty to keep it quiet i.m.o..
All the talk about the GS final drive failures was one of the things that turned me off of them. Is there a different final drive failure rate on the RT vs. the GS?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Well it is the same drive.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
John Joel Glanton OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
get an FJR.
I already checked them out. I found them to be too much like a sportbike...the forward leaning position doesn't work for me. I'm looking for a standard, neutral position...or at least as close as I can get to it. I also looked at the Honda ST1300 but the engine heat issue bothers me as does the lack of a 6th gear. However, if the BMW final drive failures are really this bad, then this middle-class dude probably has no business buying one!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
LongWays
Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker
Well it is the same drive.
Nope, its different. The RT-P has the same final drive as the GS.

I've got close to 50,000 miles on my 07 and would buy another without question.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
After almost three years with the '07 RT, zero issues. None. And would get it again without hesitation. The light weight, the full up front protection, all kinds of creature comforts, the long distance ease, the blast on the back roads, etc... it has overdelivered.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
firefighter217
Beerventurer

Oddometer: 141
Also, You don't have to Replace it... there are people who also rebuild for a fraction of what a new one would cost. IE. my buddy's GS fd just went out and 350 bucks is gonna cover the re-build!

I just picked up a used one and LOVE it! Yeah, it IS intimidating with it CANBUS and all... just don't F with the electronics and you will be OK.
I say go used, and go with a bike that has been ridden.

"when in doubt. . . "
firefighter217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,717
You're not going to find a more comfortable bike for all day riding, or sport touring. Several riders in my local club have one without any issues. A buddy of mine just bought one, and was offered an extended warranty that covered the bike for an extra 4 years past the manufacturer's warranty with unlimited mileage. I'd get one without any hesitation. I had an 1150RT and the 1200RT is better in every way.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Its the bike I plan on getting next if Ican find a dealer I can trust. Thats the scarey part for me.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
John Joel Glanton OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter217
Also, You don't have to Replace it... there are people who also rebuild for a fraction of what a new one would cost. IE. my buddy's GS fd just went out and 350 bucks is gonna cover the re-build!
Sweet! Nice to know that like other bikes, there's often an alternative to the "Stealership." I will keep you mind if I get one. I'm in the Dallas area but wouldn't hesitate to load a BMW on a trailer and come down to Corpus for that kind of bargain.

BTW...I'm gonna be in Corpus in late October.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
Kanakid
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Kanakid

I am new to ADV but have been riding an R1200RT for five years, bought one of the first ones out in 05. I traded my K1200LT in for it. I love everything about the RT, it is light to throw around in the twisties, very good wind protection especially after I threw on an extended Cee Bailey"s windshield. I do not have ESA as it was an extra 2K that I thought would look better in my pocket. The heated grips, seat and cruise control make a nice touch. Oh yea the fuel economy is phenomenal and 110 horse does the trick very well on a bike that is just over 500 lbs. I will be supplementing my RT with a 2010 GS which will make a just right stablemate. I have had no final drive issues and after rerouting the abs wiring it has been a great bike. I love it!
Kanakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,289
I had an '07 RT. It would have been a great bike if not for all of the problems. I'm no stranger to BMW and their "quirks", and actually just yesterday bought my 10th BMW since '00. I've owned more RT's than anything - a 2000 R1100 RT, two different '02 R1150 RT's and the '07 R1200 RT. The R1200 was a better bike in almost every way compared to the oilheads except for mechanical reliability. And understand that none of them have been what I would consider to be mechanically reliable. I've been through repeated brake problems, broken driveshafts, clutch failures, electrical failures, etc. I am a fanatic about maintenance and have been through an oilhead from one end to the other. I take care of my bikes.

Against all I considered holy, I finally went to a Honda GL 1800 at the behest of another inmate here. Yea, the RT is lighter and a bit sportier, but the GL handles way better than most people expect and has plenty of power. It also is so well balanced and carries the weight so low that it doesn't really feel any heavier at a stop than an RT anyway.

If you want an RT, well I guess that's what you'll get. But if you are willing to put aside the bullshit you see about the GL being an "old man's bike" (I'm 43) and broaden your horizons a bit you will most likely to find it offers a level of comfort and plushness the RT can't come close to, with 90% + of the performance of the RT. And it has Honda's ridiculously low maintenance requirements - 32,000 mile valve adjustments, 8000 mile oil change intervals, longer tire life than the RT, etc. Dealers are dealing on them and comparing new prices you could buy a GL cheaper than a comparably equipped RT anyway.

Remember - this isn't a biased opinion. I own an RT too!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote