Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

God DAMN is that thing ugly. That's coming from a guy who owns BMWs too!

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #32
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
... it will likely steal away lots of Aprilia Shiver...buyers.
Were there any in the first place? All that I've seen were sitting on the showroom floor with big discounts, and a salesman that basically said, You don't want one of those...
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
God DAMN is that thing ugly. That's coming from a guy who owns BMWs too!
Yeah, that hurts my eyes probably more than any bike, ever. Somehow, they were able to make the Hyper twice as ugly.

Speaking as a former hyper owner, it's a very exciting concept. Ticks all my boxes, except for looks.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #34
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpyramids View Post
....All I can add is that my current monster is not working out well. (cramped balls).....
depending on what Monster it is....that can be addressed...but it still might not be the right tool for the job..

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #35
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Were there any in the first place? All that I've seen were sitting on the showroom floor with big discounts, and a salesman that basically said, You don't want one of those...
Ha ha, good point. Well, there seem to be about as many Shiver owners as Dorsoduro owners (not many), but they don't really frequent this site because the Shiver is the street version of the DD. Even though the Shiver is basically the same bike, they do seem to have more problems than the DD. Maybe the more diligent workers were on the DD assembly line?

Anyway, the three things I don't like about the Hyperstrada are the side exhaust, shorter suspension travel than the Hypermotard, and pricing about $4,000 above the Dorsoduro 750 (about the same as the DD 1200).

Most of my friends think the Multistrada is butt ugly, and I think its OK, so I guess my tastes are a little off...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 2,470
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OseZ6Bx_o

Link to EICMA Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada video. Some good close ups & note Termignoni exhaust on the HMT.

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Me too. But in the end it really is just a slightly more touring friendly Hypermotard anyway, right? So a comparison of the latest HM and the SMT may still be pretty relevant. I've never ridden either, but did have a SM and I bet the SMT is pretty close to that. Although I would like to hear from someone that's familiar with all three. Then how does the Rivale fit in the picture? Damn, I don't want to want a new bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
I'm assuming it's very similar to the Hypermotard. I doubt they handle much different, but I guess they could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
There isn't anything wrong with how the Hypermotard (and assuming the new Hyperstrada) handles, I just think the SMT handles a lot better. I think it handles a lot better than the MTS1200 as well. It's just a very easy bike to ride.

The stock SMT luggage isn't very good. The HMT doesn't look very good either, but who knows...no one has seen it in the flesh yet.

I agree on the SSS...I think all bikes should come with them.
I always found the Hym 1100 very 'front endy' - felt like you were sitting right over the front wheel which made steering very sensitive and twitchy. The 796 Hym as a lot better and felt a bit more neutral in corners - not quite as fast to turn in but fine for me.

The new Hym is a similar riding position to the 796 (I have seen it in the flesh and sat on it - not ridden it though). Gut feeling is that it will not have the razor edge handling of the 1100 Hym but will still handle everything that 99% of riders will ever throw at it !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I always found the Hym 1100 very 'front endy' - felt like you were sitting right over the front wheel
I first saw pics of the Hyperstrada a few days ago. Instantly fell in love with the idea of it. But every Ducati Hypermotard I've sat on has the feeling you describe, and it's not a feeling I like. I dislike it to the point where I've never ridden one simply because of that.

Who knows though...maybe I've deprived myself and would fall in love with the Hypermotard. But I do know that I like the feeling that there's a bit of bike in front of me...not chopper ergos by any stretch of the imagination. Just the feeling that I'm not sitting directly on the front wheel.

The Hyperstrada has shown up on the cycle ergo site, and it looks to have very similar ergos as the hypermotard, and a similar relationship of rider to the front wheel.

I'll definitely go look at one once they hit the showrooms, if for no other reason than I love the idea of the Hyperstrada.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #39
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I first saw pics of the Hyperstrada a few days ago. Instantly fell in love with the idea of it. But every Ducati Hypermotard I've sat on has the feeling you describe, and it's not a feeling I like. I dislike it to the point where I've never ridden one simply because of that.

Who knows though...maybe I've deprived myself and would fall in love with the Hypermotard. But I do know that I like the feeling that there's a bit of bike in front of me...not chopper ergos by any stretch of the imagination. Just the feeling that I'm not sitting directly on the front wheel.

The Hyperstrada has shown up on the cycle ergo site, and it looks to have very similar ergos as the hypermotard, and a similar relationship of rider to the front wheel.

I'll definitely go look at one once they hit the showrooms, if for no other reason than I love the idea of the Hyperstrada.

and see this is exactly what I like about it, the dirt bike feel of sitting right behind the front wheel!

sign me up!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I wonder how the cumulative effect of those small-ish front end parts will work for wind deflection...
98940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98940 View Post
I wonder how the cumulative effect of those small-ish front end parts will work for wind deflection...
Probably not very well at all. On my Stelvio, I keep the windscreen (a Givi...not the factory screen) adjusted to high chest level (top just below being even with the base of my neck), and the air just brushes the top of my helmet. From the looks of it on Cycle Ergo, the Hyperstrada screen would sit about 6-8 inches lower, and I'd be a heck of a lot closer to it. I'm thinking just based on the look of it on cycle ergo, I'd be getting a helmet (and chest) full of wind.

But the only way to know for sure would be to ride it.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes... can't wait for the springtime test ride

I don't mind a helmet full of air, as long as it's 'clean' air, no turbulence/buffeting.
I have more concern about what will be kept off the torso, arms, knees/legs.

The 1200's fairing and rad shrouds appear to be a little wider & more encompassing.

I mentioned 'cumulative'... I wonder if they struck some kind of magical balance with the more diminutive body parts?
Probably not... but I'm hoping anyhow.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #43
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,070
Bump, for what should be an extremely active thread, on the all new Hypermotard series...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #44
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
From that pic, the screen looks to be slightly bigger than a flyscreen. Probably just takes some pressure off the chest, head and shoulders will be in the breeze, hopefully clean. Seems appropo for the concept, but it sure is funny-lookin.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #45
Gnarly Adventurer

this side shot is growing on me...