Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
I'm really thinking hard about a Ural. I'll see if I can get to the dealer and test ride one. The dealer thats near me(2.5 hours away) seems like they'll let you test ride just about whenever you want. I'll see if I can get a test ride in early December. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,016
I've done a lot of research on Urals, and as far as I can tell, if you baby them, same as a Royal Enfield, they hold up fairly well. If you try to ride them like a modern bike they quickly fall apart. I would not recommend riding either off road. For those familiar with Lois Pryce (Lois on the loose) She and her significant other took a long distance trip on a couple of Ural rigs. I haven't read the whole story yet, but apparently involved a lot of off road riding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDc7jVd5jg
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I've done a lot of research on Urals, and as far as I can tell, if you baby them, same as a Royal Enfield, they hold up fairly well. If you try to ride them like a modern bike they quickly fall apart. I would not recommend riding either off road.

My firsthand "research" in 5 years and 75.000 km of off road, on road, and daily commuting says your full of beans.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #19
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I'm sure your read this on Soviet Steeds but since you live in Central Florida, why not head over to Holopaw Gene's rally on 11/17/12. There you will meet Ural riders and also get to meet Holopaw Gene. He's the man to buy a Ural from. He is a highly regarded dealer and a real nice man. This way you get to see rigs, meet a great dealer, and meet Ural owners. A Win, Win, Win situation. I personally have bought two Urals from Gene. a 2005 Patrol that I sold and turned right around and bought a 2010 Gear Up. If I thought otherwise why would I buy a 2nd. one. Your on the right path by visiting these forums. Here is where you get a good idea of whatever you decide on. Good luck and I hope I meet you at Holopaw Gene's rally this Saturday....
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #20
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,837
Like Windmill said:

"I haven't ever owned or ridden one but let me tell you that they need lots of tinkering with to keep them running." WTF is with people like this? Does anyone here listen to these experts? Maybe I'll go ask about KTMs on a cake baking forum to get some equally good advice.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetsurginc View Post
I'm in S FL and I do see rust spots here and there, hinges, edges of straps, so on. I keep an eye out and maintain a stock of rustoleum flat camo colors

Amazing the way they get better as they wear in. I'm at 7200km and loving it. Do oils at 2500km intervals to keep things happy.

Check out Sovietsteeds on the newbie forum. Lots of questions answered and everyone is willing to talk and give advice.
Also a Floridian. Spray your linkages/exposed metal/rust with ACF50. Repeat once a year.

I also agree with Marty. Go to the ural rally and talk to some owners. Then buy from Gene.
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
montrealon3
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Be sure cause you don't get what you pay for.

I just posted this today before reading yours. If you don't mind the fact that you won't get your money's worth and it can leave you stranded and have to be towed (don't fit in a pickup) by all means get one. They are fun dangerous to drive and don't stop. But I like my machine. Just hate what happened to me in the end and I want URAL to know about it. Good luck your going to need it.
If there is one spare part you should keep with you it's the alternator coupler. Heat from engine dries out the bearing then no more juice for the battery. Can go any time. For me at 11000km then again at about 35000km.
This was my post.

Black Stalin (2009 Patrol-T). In satin black and maroon pin stripe. 74,000km later it's a love hate thing. I got the bike end of season 09. Here is the list of parts and trouble Black Stalin has put me through. A small amount of the work was done by the dealer till he went out of business here in our neck of the woods (Montreal). Then it was up to me dealing with Ural Canada shipping parts or me driving to them. Over 1000km round trip.
: drive shaft seal. Weeping oil out between universal joint and final drive yoke.
: complete alternator and coupler system.
: alternator coupler system
: 2 rubber donut couplers till finally the 3rd was the new improved version. Still going. Good job Ural.
: rubber carb flange between carb and intake. Split.
: 2 starters
: all 4 wheels. Hub core play. Hubs not designed for SKF bearings.
: all wheel bearings. Changed along with the wheel change.
: 2WD shaft and drive assembly on sidecar.
: battery
: gas tank. Leaking along seem.
: found hole in sidecar frame tubing. Water getting in. Small. Filled with silicon. Poor welding.
: valve adjustment nut came off. Running only one cylinder. Tow to dealer. Bike was new at time. No chances.
: sidecar windshield vinyl replaced. Stretches around eyelets.
: major transmission failure. Main bearing and bearing housing. Design flaw. New transmission.
: at same time they (Ural Canada) said engine and final drive defective. Changed for new. It took 3 months.
: carbs not balanced when received bike.
: new engine defective. Compression too low. When hot no power on take off and won't maintain idle and misfires.
Received bike back after warranty was over. Stored over winter. Come spring found these problems mentioned above after all drive systems where changes.
Ural Canada and Ural USA. left me hanging. Thanks.
Sending bike to a very experienced mechanic in my area to fix at my cost.
It's a love hate thing.
My next purchase will be a Honda xr650l.
montrealon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

There have been a few other folks in your neck of the woods that have had similar experiences with rigs from that dealer.

If you get a Ural, choose your dealer carefully.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #24
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I've done a lot of research on Urals, and as far as I can tell, if you baby them, same as a Royal Enfield, they hold up fairly well. If you try to ride them like a modern bike they quickly fall apart. I would not recommend riding either off road. For those familiar with Lois Pryce (Lois on the loose) She and her significant other took a long distance trip on a couple of Ural rigs. I haven't read the whole story yet, but apparently involved a lot of off road riding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDc7jVd5jg
Howdy JerryH,

Are you another of those experts who have done a lot of research but NEVER owned or ridden a Ural and so don't have ANY real evidence to back up your claim, kinda sounds like it to me. But then again perhaps you don't consider those of us who have ridden these things off road for YEARS to be qualified to accurately access their capability.

I will point this out, if anyone thinks that a Ural can be flown over jumps as shown in the promotional video of the Russian Troops, and remain in unbroken running condition for any lenght of time their NUTS. The Ural is NOT a dirt bike, it is NOT a moto-crosser, it IS a very capable machine which will navigate over rough terrain and or bad roads that would stop dead in their tracks many other comparable machines and some that are supposed to be much better.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I watched Ural improve over 10 years, and finally pulled the trigger on a new '10 Gear Up in October of 2010. With one exception (rear main seal leak and contaminated clutch discs....taken care of under warranty), the rig has been rock solid. I don't thrash it as some others do, but I haven't babied it either.

I do my own maintenance, and am pretty religious about oil/filter changes, and valve adjustments. Simple work that is rewarding. I do find that it eats pusher tires more rapidly than I would prefer......
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #26
montrealon3
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
There have been a few other folks in your neck of the woods that have had similar experiences with rigs from that dealer.

If you get a Ural, choose your dealer carefully.
Unfortunately the dealer closed. He was ok. I would probably have no issue today if he was still around. It's Ural Canada the so called Canadian distributor that let me down. They wanted me to bring the bike back to them. When in fact they finally found a local dealer in my area but refused me to go to them. Their reasoning was because they did the work so no one else should touch it. That meant me bringing it to them. Would have to leave it there then go back and pick it up. Over a 2000km drive overall. One way is over 5 hours. Local new dealer. 30 minutes away from my home. After all I've been through (many long stories of breakdowns and getting bike back to be fixed). It ended with a shouting match with Ural Canada. So I called from I what could see as the true distributor in Seattle. They said they would do their best to help. They never called me back. It's been months.
montrealon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #27
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealon3 View Post
Unfortunately the dealer closed. He was ok. I would probably have no issue today if he was still around. It's Ural Canada the so called Canadian distributor that let me down. They wanted me to bring the bike back to them. When in fact they finally found a local dealer in my area but refused me to go to them. Their reasoning was because they did the work so no one else should touch it. That meant me bringing it to them. Would have to leave it there then go back and pick it up. Over a 2000km drive overall. One way is over 5 hours. Local new dealer. 30 minutes away from my home. After all I've been through (many long stories of breakdowns and getting bike back to be fixed). It ended with a shouting match with Ural Canada. So I called from I what could see as the true distributor in Seattle. They said they would do their best to help. They never called me back. It's been months.
Call them again, IMWA's warranty "department" is 1 person doing many jobs.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 6,568
"I might get a Ural"

Might, might, might....blah, blah, blah

I might get a Ferrari one day, too..

Go get the Ural. NOW.

Why are you still reading this?!

GO! Go I say!

Post lot's of cool pics and stuff.

Live for me so I might live vicariously through you...at least until February when hopefully the Ural gods (and my bank account) will smile upon me.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
DaFoole
WARPED Idjit

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:

GREAT shot!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Don't pick up reverse by mistake when you leave there...

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote