User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
safe areas to ride in Mexico

Hey i'm making a trip from California to the east coast solo and would like to dip into Mexico on the way. Can anyone tell me where the safe areas would be to drive through and is camping a bad idea? Any suggestions are great!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,635
Dipping in is kinda vague to know how to answer. The border areas aren't the crown jewel of Mexico.

There are plenty of more beautiful areas in the southwest U.S. border area than northern Mexico border area to my mind. From San Diego through Julian, Anza Borego, Joshua Tree, Organ Pipe, Kitt Peak Observatory, Silver City NM, Big Bend Natl Park would be preferable to a shallow trip into northern Mexico I should think. Unless you drop down to Ensenada and over through the wine area on Mex 3 to San Felipe and back up through Mexicali I suppose.

Mexico border areas wouldn't be my idea of a smart move for stealth camping. Safety is a state of mind mostly, but I've opted for cheap places with secure parking in the border area so far. If your spidey sense says an area is unsafe, keep riding. Plenty of cheap places to stay in Northern Mexico with secure parking.

Dropping down 1000 miles through Baja to La Paz and ferry across to Mazatlan and up over the Espinoza del Diablo over to Durango and up through Copper Canyon and over to Texas doesn't probably qualify as dipping. But that's all I've got.

Others may have ideas.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Dropping down 1000 miles through Baja to La Paz and ferry across to Mazatlan and up over the Espinoza del Diablo over to Durango and up through Copper Canyon and over to Texas doesn't probably qualify as dipping. But that's all I've got.
I wouldn't call that dipping either, but that would be a great ride, little bit of everything there.....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
^ Do this, or don't waste your time "dipping" into Mexico.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,344
If this qualifies as "dipping down" into Mexico: ride down to Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico and get on the trans-sierra hwy 16 and get your canyon dancing shoes on for a couple hundred miles of great mountain riding. Dip down to Creel via the new paved route through San Juanito and continue on to Guachochi, then to Hidalgo del Parral. From there ride up to Ojinaga and either ride the River Road (170) to Big Bend or go straight up to Marfa. This route will be one of the best rides of your life. The rest of USA will be anticlimax. Go for it.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
get on the trans-sierra hwy 16
I never thought I would want insane, perfect mountain twisties to stop, but I sure did at the end of that day. Epic, epic section of Mexico pavement riding. If there is a better one, I dont know about it. I've heard it described as 200 miles of the Tail of Dragon, with the added thrill of no enforced speed limit, and oncoming trucks taking up half your lane.

crashmaster screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 06:50 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Zepfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Todo es bien! Don't listen to the U.S. bull shit machine. Mexico is safe! All you gotta do is smile and enjoy!
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
If this qualifies as "dipping down" into Mexico: ride down to Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico and get on the trans-sierra hwy 16 and get your canyon dancing shoes on for a couple hundred miles of great mountain riding. Dip down to Creel via the new paved route through San Juanito and continue on to Guachochi, then to Hidalgo del Parral. From there ride up to Ojinaga and either ride the River Road (170) to Big Bend or go straight up to Marfa. This route will be one of the best rides of your life. The rest of USA will be anticlimax. Go for it.
+1, this is your ride. This ride is a big long road with lots and lots of curves. It will be way more interesting than the US alternative, I-10. I wouldn't bother with the camping. Northern Mexico does have a lot of open space to camp but Hotels/Motels are cheap and safe.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepfan View Post
todo es bien! Don't listen to the u.s. Bull shit machine. Mexico is safe! All you gotta do is smile and enjoy!
+1
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I never thought I would want insane, perfect mountain twisties to stop, but I sure did at the end of that day. Epic, epic section of Mexico pavement riding. If there is a better one, I dont know about it. I've heard it described as 200 miles of the Tail of Dragon, with the added thrill of no enforced speed limit, and oncoming trucks taking up half your lane.

I think this ride takes the cake for the most curves in Mexico. This stretch could likely be the longest curvy section in North America. The route Jimmex described is about 800 Km of curves, from just outside of Hermosillo where the curves begin to Parral. There are some nice sections in Mexico with bigger mountains and tighter curves but this is one is likely the longest. HW 16 has some truck traffic but Creel to Parral has very little traffic and brand new pavement. +1 no cops with a radar guns every 40 minutes like the fun roads in the Rockies. Just go as fast as you want all day long!

SR screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 11:54 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
+ 1+1+1 on all the posts suggesting he ride across Mex 16 and down to Creel and Hidalgo del Parral
Mexico is as safe as any place in USA if you mind your manners , stay off the road at night and out of the drug scene.
As for camping in Mexico , don't bother . You can find good inexpensive place to sleep most any town .And you can stay in these nice little motels and hotels for less money than if you were staying in paid campgrounds in the USA or Canada ,believe me. I just got back a few days ago from a ride up to Alaska 5 weeks and a day ,stayed in only one actual motel the last night , three hostels in Alaska were great bargains , and a bunch of free and paid campgrounds. The pay campgrounds included several that were nearly as expensive as the motel , over $32 just to throw out a tent and use the shower!
After getting to Parral you could work over to Torreon and then back up thru Cuatrocienegas, Monclova and back into USA at Eagle Pass, ,nice ride , muy tranquilo
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Any hotels on Hwy 16 between Hwy 12 and Cuauhtemoc?
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Quote:
This sounds great! I'll see if I have enough time. Are these roads paved? I just have a little street bike. Know any good laces to stay along the way? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,344
Yes, all paved. Hotels are not a problem. Just start early and don't pass up a nice place in the evening; you don't want to be on the road a night.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Quote:
Yes, all paved. Hotels are not a problem. Just start early and don't pass up a nice place in the evening; you don't want to be on the road a night.
Cool! How spread are gas stations? I can only get 80 miles on my little tank but carry an extra 2 gallons so I can get another 80.....i don't know any Spanish either....minor problem right?