Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
2nd Bike Consideration... dilemma...

Hi Gang!
I originally posted this up on CBR250.net, because I have used that the most... since I ride a CBR250RA BUT, I know this is a much larger and more broad site, and greatly value a̶n̶y̶ input.

Just for starters.... I have only been riding for 11 weeks, and have passed 5000 miles just two days ago. I'm 19, go to college 130 miles away from home, and will be 20 in Nov.

I have serious "First Bike Syndrome"!!!, and have loved every minute of riding Maverick. This includes a recent 2 hours of Arizona monsoon rain. We're talking several inches of downpour each HOUR. I was riding through 8 inch deep flood zones, passing the cars that were stuck in left lines, with open lanes abundant to the "deeper" right lanes.... it was ALL that deep, so why wait behind the cars! It flooded Interstate 10 in Phoenix up to 4 feet deep! I was in it for 80 miles, coming back to college from Tucson, the scenic way. It was a blast

Did I say I liked my CBR?

Okay, okay. On to my dilemma.
I want to tour.
For me, riding is now like how most people purchase and drive a car. It's my daily commuter, grocery getter (especially while up in college. I live in a travel trailer, but our/my full sized RAM 1500 is in Tucson. It's pretty great ) and Sport Tourer 24/7. I want to now make my first "real" purchase, a touring motorcycle. This will be in less than a year from now, finances providing.
I have a few goals for my second bike.
1st: I wish it to be my final bike. I do not desire to keep moving on and on, spending more money on more bikes, and learning and getting more "things" on how to do their maintenance (aka, tools, service manuals, training classes if needed....)
2nd: I need luggage space. Hard luggage, lockable I hope.
3rd: I need highway capability. I'm talking 75 to 80. Speed limits, where ever I go (my exception is when on the Phoenix highways.... 10 over and I'm not even doing traffic speed still....)
4th: Wind protection, for when on said highways.
5th: I REALLY WANT a shaft final drive... belt would be okaaaay, but shaft mostly. (I know they can cause torque issues, not a concern to me.)

It will be a new motorcycle, again.

I used to have a short list of bikes that qualify.
ST1300 ABS
FJR1300A... ES?
R1200RT... LC?
F800GT - that's the belt drive exception
And maybe the Triumph Trophy... maybe...

But I read an article about Prudhoe Bay run, by the first woman to do a UC2C2C solo. Kinda makes me want to be the youngest guy (hopefully) to complete an Ultimate Coast 2 Coast 2 Coast IBA challenge. (BTW, I have a 4000 mile road trip planned for March on my CBR. An IB SaddleSore 1K out to Texas, then visit family and friends in TX, OK, and CO for 2 weeks.)

Then the Triumph Explorer and R1200GS LC came into thought... and then the V-Strom 1000 (I know it's a chain FD....)

What are all of your experiences on these larger bikes? And moving on from the 250RA?
Mostly highway performance of the Adventure bikes? And how is the wind protection in the hot weather. Do you wish it were more open like a GS, or is the full faired ST/FJR/RT nice.

The maintenance of BMW's kinda is a bummer, but for the bike you get though... might be worth it.

Without wanting any off road capabilities, I'm looking at the Sport Touring group. Mostly the 4 biggies: ST, FJR, 1200RT, Triumph. Aaaaaand I just talked with a man on campus, riding a beautiful '08 Honda 1800 'Wing. If I can afford the Beemers, and really want street over Adv Bike, it's now made the list. What can I say!? I really love Honda, but I'm not extremely brand devoted.

Should I be worried about lack of Triumph and BMW repair locations, compared to TONS of Suzuki, Honda!, and Yamaha?

I hope to test ride the following, within 6-8 months. I should be up to about 10-15K in my CBR250 by then.
R1200GS
R1200RT
FJR
Maybe even the Super Tenere for grins.

I will be keeping my CBR, I love it to death and want to reach the 100K mile mark. I should be doing about 30K a year, so Ill get my money's worth out of my 5 year warranty.

Help me CBR250.net, you're my only hope!
I am almost at a loss for what to think about all the options. I do tons of research, sit on tests, and forum surfing.... tons.... and thats how I got the CBR

Thanks all!

P.S.- I ride ATGATT
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=5cf9e5a28b
Even at 108F/42C temps. It's not fun, but I work around it and stay hydrated. I also have, and will, continue training with Motorcycle police officers (close friend) and with MSF. And for weight concerns of the larger bikes, the day I got my license my friends graciously let me ride this guy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CH2...ature=youtu.be
So I "know" what I'm wanting to get into with having a LOT more bike to move around.

Thanks again,
JB

=ATAC=Flyboy screwed with this post Today at 05:48 AM
=ATAC=Flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Well, for lots of highway miles it seems you have the right list of bikes. It sounds like you are already comfortably putting a lot of miles on a small sports bike, so a sport tourer should be right up your alley. I particularly like the fjr1300 and the r1200rt on your list. Depending on your dimentions, the tenere could be great too, but u said no adv bikes. The key for u will likely be to focus on reliability and maintenance cost since u are in collage and will be putting a lot of miles on the bike. Which really makes the yamaha shine in that respect. Shaft drive and 24k milevalve checks, so it will be most cost effective for u.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Rotoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
If you're looking for THE bike I would suggest going with a bike with 2 cylinders. Overall the engine core will last longer since you're doing less revs and most twins are pretty bulletproof designs. With all the riding you're planning I can still see you wearing out a bike in about 10 years no matter what you get.

Any 1200 BMW is going to last a very long while, however their final drive system seems to only be getting worse as they update it. If you don't have problems with it, you'll love it. If you do, you'll find out that BMW stands for Break My Wallet. BMW was recently found to be the least reliable bike make out there.

Not on your list is the Moto Guzzi Norge, super reliable transverse V-twin which is about as easy as it gets to work on and will last 150k miles. Final drive is very reliable. They make an awesome noise and the brakes are superb. They are shorter bikes so if you're tall you might want to ride one first to see if it fits you. The dealer network is spotty, but they're realiable bikes. Comes standard with lockable luggage

Yamaha Super Tenere, a great bike with yamaha reliability that will gives you some wiggle room when it comes to versatility and you find yourself someday wanting to go offroad.

The F800ST is an unengaging bike, I've never met someone who raved about them. A friend of mine owned one as her second bike after a KLR and she sold it to get a zx6 and a 1200GS. She absolutely loves the GS and was glad to see the F800 gone. THe belt is insanely expensive to replace as everything else BMW.

All liter bikes have great low end. I preffer twins (obviously), but the 4 cylinders have a great smoothness that can make very long trips more relaxing.

Moving from a 250 to a liter bike is going to be eye opening to say the least and you might get a few tickets because how effortless the power is on a big block engine
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I particularly like the fjr1300 and the r1200rt on your list.
Ahhh, okay great! I was just at the BMW dealer in Phoenix today, and saw the 1200rt again. As much as it looks great, for me I think I would have to go FJR now for the S.T. class. Beemer price, and maintenance are really a draw back compared to how great the FJRs have been doing year after year. Heck, for the difference in cost, I could really have a great FJR and still not meet an optioned out RT.

Adv touring isn't thrown out, but the Super Ten iisssss.... kinda the odd ball for me. Im really, really liking the new GSA, gotta love an 8 gal tank and the weight is pretty much equal to the Yami S10.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:37 AM   #5
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoride View Post
Any 1200 BMW is going to last a very long while, however their final drive system seems to only be getting worse as they update it. If you don't have problems with it, you'll love it. If you do, you'll find out that BMW stands for Break My Wallet. BMW was recently found to be the least reliable bike make out there.

Moving from a 250 to a liter bike is going to be eye opening to say the least and you might get a few tickets because how effortless the power is on a big block engine
Arrg.... I was affraid of that... I've come across several posts and maintenance logs from Beemer riders. Most recently Bama Rider and his website. He had an ST1100, and now has an ST1300 and 06? R1200RT. There were several repairs needed in the 9 years he has been riding it. No FD issues, but others... and his two Hondas barely needed a valve adjust and I think a headlight bulb.
The FD would be my biggest fear, but I'll probably spring for an extended warranty. They sales guy said up to 5 years extra. That way, juuuuuust incase (which sounds likely) I'll feel much more at ease. I think if I had a major issue on a GSA, I would probably sell it and be done with BMW......

I definitely want to get a helmet cam for my road trip, and would HAVE to record my first ride! Haha, it'll be a hoot. I'm not worried about the power of them, I'm not power hungry and keep an eye on my speeds. There's been a few times though on my 250 where I was up at 70, 75 in the mountains and didn't realize
Old 09-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #6
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Any "off brands"

Oh, you know I have thought about a MG and Ducati.... expensive, well at first, and ehh... not super attracted to them. Plus there are sooo few dealers around, it just wouldn't cut it for me. Even just to order oem parts, filters, valve shims or what not... Tucson doesnt haven either brand, I dont think. But there is a Suzuki and Yamaha dealer within a 1/2 of my house, Honda about 12 min away where I bought my CBR, a BMW 5 miles past that, and Kawi, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, dealer across town.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #7
Rotoride
Adventurer

MG isn't much more expensive than the other brands (cheaper than BMW) and with super easy owner maintenance (rocker valves and just oil changes on the FD) it's not expensive to own. You do have a local Guzzi dealer at Renaissance Motorcycles in Tuscon, and tuscon has more than the average number of guzzis pop up on craigslist. They are doing a demo day TODAY (sept 13th, 2014)

Ducati is another beast. Expensive to buy, and with valve services plus chain and sprocket replacements, expensive to run too. But that mulstistrada is something else...

I'd take the ST1300 over the FJR between those two
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by =ATAC=Flyboy View Post
1st: I wish it to be my final bike.
Had to chuckle ... love the mindset, but jeez, the only thing I still have from when I was 20 is my good looks and a bum knee from an ugly get-off during a mountain bike downhill race

You've got a good list going for what you're looking at - but certainly riding them is key. Easy with the Beemers, might be tougher with the ST or FJR depending on local test-ride policies. If you're keeping the CBR, then a bigger, heavier, faired bike will be a great move to make touring more comfy. I can only have 1 bike, so I love my R1200R as I prefer naked (though I have a small screen) for managing everything pretty well and being very versitile. Grocery getter, 'somewhat' sporty, and great tourer (for me).
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
ColdForged
Adventurer

c14

If you are looking at an FJR, you should probably consider the kawasaki c14 as well. I feel the ST1300 is too expensive for what it is
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Mmmmmm, ST

Quote:
They are doing a demo day TODAY (sept 13th, 2014)
I'd take the ST1300 over the FJR between those two
Aw man, I'm up in Phoenix today.... next week I'm down though...

I LOVE the ST, There is one up in Peoria with the ABS, a left over '12. Honda quality, reliability, mpg and range are better, and great oem warranty. If I can find one still, I really might spring for it. It gets kinda hot in the summer though, a little concern for me but I want to talk with a few Sheriffs sometime soon about it. They ride them over here, and some are on the 1200RT as well.

The FJR kinda only beats it out with Cruise Control, heated gear, ES, and I haven't heard anything about stability issues (but Im not going to clipping along at 100+) aaaaand they still make them.... plus a tad cheaper.

=ATAC=Flyboy screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 12:57 PM
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
Duck Dodgers
Rock n Roll Refugee

Oddometer: 488
20 and Touring

I doubt this will be your last bike. If it is you have alien DNA. It may be a keeper, but it won't be your last. Do you do your own wrenching? Is dealer support an issue? Is it one or two up touring? Now two up both of you 20-ish or less doing a UC2C2C -WOW!

You said new, so finances are an issue or not? You could build your own. Example: a new CB1100a with HB or Givi hard cases and a good wind screen. Add the stuff you really want. Custom seat, lights etc. Also the NC700X and the CB500X could be kitted out for around and under 10K$ and any decent displacement bike can be turned in to a touring rig.

Turn key - I suggest: an FJR, I had one, it was just too long distance appliance oriented for me. Or the MG Stelvio NTX 1200 if for nothing more than price and an 8.5 gallon tank! The only reason I suggest this one is: I want one, can't justify buying it and got the jones bad.

I know what you said about adv bikes but the only person I can think of who could ride the NTX like a dirt bike is Jimmy Lewis. If there are others out there you have my apology.

Then again you read/post on ADV Rider and know if it has a motor and wheels we'll take it any where. Good luck with your hunt.

Duck Dodgers screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 02:02 PM Reason: spill chukar air oar
Duck Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
If you are looking at an FJR, you should probably consider the kawasaki c14 as well. I feel the ST1300 is too expensive for what it is
You know, I just looked at the C14 again yesterday... when I was asking about specs on a '14 GSA....
The S.T. class all run the same with insurance cost. The Connie is pretty powerful (so they say, but also say they HATE the brakes... test rides in suite), and the mpg is lower. Not sure HOW much for what I'll be doing, and how I'll be riding. It has everything but Cruise Control. I like it, feels good and feels... shorter, than the rest. The whole bike looks sleek, I think :)

I was bummed that Honda kept the price as high as they did. Its great, but it needed... not updates, but some add ons. Cruise, the orange display? c'mon...
I'll throw the Connie in for thought! Thanks
Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
It my be a keeper, but it won't be your last.
Do you do your own wrenching?
Is dealer support an issue?
Is it one or two up touring?
Now two up both of you 20-ish or less doing a UC2C2C -WOW!
It's a long shot, and I'm sure it wont be someday, but I hope it'll be enough for me for a long while I want to do instate trips on my CBR (already started!) and multi-state/country trips on the tourer. And hope to get all 49 states on it as well. Then the bike choices, might, come a callin' again.

Yep, I do my own service. I work at a Ford dealership in Service and am in college for Ford warranty service certifications. It was a liiiiittle different when I tore into my CBR after a week and a half, for the 600 mile valve check!

Dealer support: yeah I would feel much better touring, with knowing dealers were near or at least available.

Touring solo for now. If I marry, I would LOVE to tour with her 2 up, so it is a consideration for passenger comfort. And it sounds like the FJR, Concours, 1200GSA would be good choices for that.

Oh man, two up doing that would be SO cool!! Who knows, my best friend Ryan might be game! We're both bachelors, and have a trip to the Grand Canyon planned. I ride, and he drive a van, sleep in the van, and head back a day later.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
=ATAC=Flyboy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
You do have a local Guzzi dealer at Renaissance Motorcycles in Tuscon
Whoa, never even knew about this dealer! Speedway isn't too far, might have to go for a looksee.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,875
You could save a lot of money if you weren't afraid to buy a good lightly used bike.

I've always be attracted to VFR800's. Don't know if they're still produced, but they're very nice looking bikes. Seems like a good type of bike for the riding you;re talking about.

You have been riding a 250 and really like it. The big heavy bikes that you're listing might be a bit heavier than you like. I don't know, just thinking based on what you've said.

Btw, you say you don't care about riding off-road, but you won't believe how much fun it is. You've got to try some dirt too, and why not now while you are still young? Your street riding skills will improve dramatically by riding dirt. You can learn things from trail riding that you'll never learn on the street.

90% of the riders here will tell you that the real adventure begins when you leave the pavement behind.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote