Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #166
Jltrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post

I did what I thought was more than due diligence for my research into the bike.

I admit I was naive in my expectations about "BMW quality" "craftsmanship" etc., but based on all you twits that shit on everyone who DOES complain about getting a raw deal on a bike, acting like they are a tiny minority who is just bitching, WTF are people supposed to do, other than try and make the best informed choice they can, at the time?
I think that what us "twits" don't get is that after doing what you thought was "more than due diligence" you still felt that you got a "raw deal" because a BMW motorcycle is more expensive to own than say a Honda.

What problems did you have that made you think your bike was "shit"? I had an 06 GS for 7 years and other than regular maintenance the only thing I had to replace were headlight bulbs. I knew going in that dealer parts/maintenance was going to be expensive so I started using independent mechanics as soon as the warranty ran out.
Jltrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #167
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
modhat

Lets get back on the discussion of the bike, and leave the personal insults and brand bashing for the basement.

/modhat
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #168
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
modhat

Lets get back on the discussion of the bike, and leave the personal insults and brand bashing for the basement.

/modhat
Maaaaan..!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #169
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Maaaaan..!

It was a Kobayashi Maru argument anyway, who am I to waste more breath in a silly endeavour
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #170
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Holy shit people. For most, a motorcycle is a toy, a want, not a need. If you dislike the price of the BMW or the maintenance costs, then don't buy one. It's simple as that.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #171
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Holy shit people. For most, a motorcycle is a toy, a want, not a need. If you dislike the price of the BMW or the maintenance costs, then don't buy one. It's simple as that.

I like the look of the GT. If things pan out well with it and it turns out to be a bike that sticks around for a while, I might look into one as a commuter in a few years, used. That white is quite nice.

SuperTour 1
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #172
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
I rode them for years, and seems when you stay with BMW's the next one is about the same cost as say buying a Honda and in a year or so getting another new Honda, and at times I did very well with the next one. I was very active in the BMW owners clubs and they have the best rallies and club functions.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #173
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
I rode them for years, and seems when you stay with BMW's the next one is about the same cost as say buying a Honda and in a year or so getting another new Honda, and at times I did very well with the next one. I was very active in the BMW owners clubs and they have the best rallies and club functions.

Art
BMW'S also seem to hold their value quite well. Just look at what 1200RT and 1200GS models with a ton of miles sell for on ebay, meanwhile other brands seem to depreciate much quicker.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #174
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:

Art
Which brand would be the opposite of that.. for the people who like to
ride more then tap each other on the back in the owner's clubs?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #175
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Which brand would be the opposite of that.. for the people who like to
ride more then tap each other on the back in the owner's clubs?
The amount of miles most BMW club members put on their machines speaks for how they feel about riding their machines.

Art
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #176
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Quote:
I was very active in the BMW owners clubs and they have the best rallies and club functions.

Art
Ever been to a COG rally? Maybe it's because I showed up on a Connie, (which for all intents and purposes was Kawasaki's copy of the old K75), but I sure didn't feel welcome at the last 3 BMW events I went to.

SuperTour 1
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #177
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Brand rallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
Ever been to a COG rally? Maybe it's because I showed up on a Connie, (which for all intents and purposes was Kawasaki's copy of the old K75), but I sure didn't feel welcome at the last 3 BMW events I went to.
One of the main functions at any BMW rally is to bitch about their machines, having you there on a Kawasaki makes it harder to do.

Art
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #178
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
BMW Belt Drive

I was interested a few years ago in an 800ST and one of the things I liked was the belt drive. I had a belt on a Suzuki 650 years ago and while the rest of the cruiser was not so good the belt was excellent.
I passed on the ST probably because I was looking for a standard bike, more like the GT, besides they wanted $12,000 plus fees at the Miami dealership.
I got a Bonneville for $8,000 OTD and thought about getting a belt drive conversion later after the chain wore out, $500 from Bella Corse. 42,000 miles later...I decided the $250 chain and sprockets were really no problem at all. My Loobman oiler spreads oil on the back end of my daily rider which I don't mind as the chain is virtually maintenance free.

I am surprised the BMW belt only lasts 24,000 miles. Harley belts are good for a hundred thousand they say though not many Harleys seem to get that high mileage. I am not surprised a replacement is more than four hundred bucks because BMW are notorious for their replacement part costs.

I wish there could be less yelling when people air their frustrations here. Apparnelty the BMW purchase was a mistake for one inmate and yelling at him doesnt make it better for anyone.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #179
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I was interested a few years ago in an 800ST and one of the things I liked was the belt drive. I had a belt on a Suzuki 650 years ago and while the rest of the cruiser was not so good the belt was excellent.
I passed on the ST probably because I was looking for a standard bike, more like the GT, besides they wanted $12,000 plus fees at the Miami dealership.
I got a Bonneville for $8,000 OTD and thought about getting a belt drive conversion later after the chain wore out, $500 from Bella Corse. 42,000 miles later...I decided the $250 chain and sprockets were really no problem at all. My Loobman oiler spreads oil on the back end of my daily rider which I don't mind as the chain is virtually maintenance free.

I am surprised the BMW belt only lasts 24,000 miles. Harley belts are good for a hundred thousand they say though not many Harleys seem to get that high mileage. I am not surprised a replacement is more than four hundred bucks because BMW are notorious for their replacement part costs.

I wish there could be less yelling when people air their frustrations here. Apparnelty the BMW purchase was a mistake for one inmate and yelling at him doesnt make it better for anyone.
Comparing an F800ST to a Bonneville is like comparing Gewürtztraminer to Gin. They both get the job done, and very well, but in different ways.

I had never heard that Harley belts went 100k. If anything, last summer I had a fellow lose his belt right in front of me. Scary for both of us...

SuperTour 1
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #180
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
The belt is a huge let down.
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote