User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #256
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Test Ride

I was permitted to take a demo unit for almost 24 hrs. Consequently, I was able to ride my regular weekday commute and bomb around for a couple hours after dinner. I'm guessing I put around 100 miles on it. Granted I'm riding Moto Guzzis, but I don't recall there being any unpleasant vibration at all except for when I was running up the freeway at 80+, which I would not normally do for any length of time. I thought the exhaust note was kinda farty, along the lines of the DRZ400 I used to own. Wasn't very torquey off idle but acceleration was fine by me and the entire bike felt taught, precise, athletic, very svelte.

It had the comfort seat which was, well, comfortable. No hot spots or bad seams - it was nice and wide in the back, firm, and very flat. It was very roomy and did not push me forward into the tank which is a common BMW problem (experience with RT and GS). I'm 5'10 200# 31" inseam and the ergos were excellent for me. I don't like being bolt upright with feet in front of my knees - hurts my back. My feet were almost directly under hips. Plenty of legroom. Wind off of the chest and helmet in clean air. My face shield stayed up past 70 mph. I prefer these fat bars over the spindly-looking 7/8" bars on the ST. There was obviously some raiding of the GS and R parts bins to assemble the GT, but tastefully done. It will be nice to be able to put both feet down for a change.

I didn't carry a passenger and probably never will so 2-up performance won't be an issue. I ordered the new hard system bags although I haven't seen them and understand that they have a new clam shell design and may leak a little. I probably won't use them much. I'll put my Krauser top box on it and use that almost exclusively. Love the idea of the belt drive. All the controls and bodywork were top quality. I think the F800 street models have been very under rated and look forward to having this bike in the garage.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #257
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I tested one earlier this year and can only say I kind of liked it. Little awkward seating position for me, but that's mainly because I'm used to F800GS, R1200GS, Tiger 800.

Vibes were definitely there and might annoy me on long rides, although I didn't think they were problematic. The frequency wasn't high enough to be really bad for me. It was definitely worse than my F800GS below 5k, it was better than my F800GS above 5k - which was the point where the F became unrideable for me because it put my hands to sleep.

On the other hand, I found it ridiculous that it had more vibration than the R1200RT I rode the same day. And yes, I was very sensitive to this at that time. I owned a Tiger 800 with the sweeeeet triple engine. That engine is worlds beyond that BMW inline twin in pretty much everything but fuel consumption.
The camheads are really good about vibes - my R12R is smooth as silk... compared to the 800 twins!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #258
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
The camheads are really good about vibes - my R12R is smooth as silk... compared to the 800 twins!
Yep. Same with our (actually my wife's, but sometimes, very rarely, I'm allowed to ride it, too) R1200R. Also similar with the new water cooled GS. Also smoother than the F800GT.

I found the vibrations not problematic though during my testride. They were harsh and hard, but somehow the frequency was so that it didn't bother me too much.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #259
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I hear over on the F800 forum, that the vibrations on the F800GT just go away after some miles are put on it.
K7TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #260
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
I hear over on the F800 forum, that the vibrations on the F800GT just go away after some miles are put on it.
That sounds very unlikely.

Despite the longer chassis and damped bars it is still essentially the same motor and the motor is still a stressed member in the frame.

I don't think the vibes are an issue, but don't go blowing smoke about them vanishing in their own.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #261
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I don't think the vibes are an issue,
I don't think it was ether. We all know, it is still a twin! After the bike gets some miles on it, it sound as if it smooths out!!!!! The New one from my test ride was not as bad as my old Boxer was so I like this little bike.

K7TNT screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 09:47 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #262
Axiom2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
So I have had it about three months now and each and every time I ride it I am impressed with what a great machine she is. If I have any issue at all it is that I just can't seem to ride it slow, the darn thing just wants to go. The thing that impresses me the most, coming off years of riding R Bikes is the gear box, I swear it like shifting using a micro switch.

Anyway it took me awhile to get it where I wanted it and the things I have done to it really made it a better and more comfortable ride.

Madstad 22" tinted Windscreen
Suburban peg lowering and Bar Back Kit
Sargent Seat
Luggage painted to match

BMW has a winner here, very little to complain about for sure.

Axiom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #263
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
I don't think it was ether. We all know, it is still a twin! After the bike gets some miles on it, it sound as if it smooths out!!!!! The New one from my test ride was not as bad as my old Boxer was so I like this little bike.
I doubt that very much. The rider gets used to it, I'm sure, but I'm sure it shakes as much at 30k as it does when new. There is just something about those 360 degree parallel twins.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #264
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom2000 View Post
BMW has a winner here, very little to complain about for sure.

Very nice, I like the bags! Good job.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #265
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
The bags *do* look great. I can't say I'm sure about the screen, although I agree the stock screen is too small for a 6'2" gent like me.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #266
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 56
I now have 3000 miles on my 2013 F800GT.

Overall, I really like it. It fits my 5'10" body perfectly. I like the low windshield as I get a clear view above it while riding. My chest is protected from the wind and my helmet is in clean air.

It has more than enough power. You can go all the way to 60 mph in 1st gear before it red lines.

Stopped at a light, the bike feels very easy to handle. While riding I can sit forward in the standard seat for an upright touring position or sit back in the seat for a more sporty position. The seat allows me about 4 to 5 inches of forward/backward movement. I have been on 6 hour rides and my butt does not hurt although I do change positions slightly every 15 or so minutes.

Gas mileage is great. I have gotten over 65 mpg. I think maximum range is around 240 miles, but I never went passed 220.

The only problem is that I do notice vibration in the bars. Occasionally my hands will get numb. I found that varying the gear or rpm will find sweet spots of less vibration. It is not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

I look forward to many years and miles of riding.

Krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #267
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakatoa View Post
The only problem is that I do notice vibration in the bars. Occasionally my hands will get numb. I found that varying the gear or rpm will find sweet spots of less vibration. It is not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.
It felt to me like around 3.5-4k was a smooth cruising RPM for that engine, and the real buzziness was 5k and up. The boxer twins vibrate too over that RPM, but you can cruise at 3.5k all day long if you want due to the gearing.

What speed is 3500 RPM in 6th on the f800GT? It looks really good in white, I must say.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #268
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,321
I just got back from test riding one. The buzz was really noticeable. Especially for it's intended purpose of touring. Nice bike, but I'm not trading in my K1200RS for one, which is what I was thinking about doing before the test ride.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #269
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I just got back from test riding one. The buzz was really noticeable. Especially for it's intended purpose of touring. Nice bike, but I'm not trading in my K1200RS for one, which is what I was thinking about doing before the test ride.
I must really be desensitized as I don't feel any vibration to speak of up to 80+mph. Mirrors are crystal clear as well. Could it have something to do with set up/throttle body sync, something variable like that bike-to-bike?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #270
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
It felt to me like around 3.5-4k was a smooth cruising RPM for that engine, and the real buzziness was 5k and up. The boxer twins vibrate too over that RPM, but you can cruise at 3.5k all day long if you want due to the gearing.

What speed is 3500 RPM in 6th on the f800GT? It looks really good in white, I must say.
I have less than 100 miles on mine (more like 50) and rode to work today first time. 15 miles combination of urban, freeway, and downtown. Average mpg 57 - I love that! It's as powerfull as my v11 sport - plus is quiet, smooth and really light yet stable.

3.5K= about 70mph; 4K about 80. I haven't been much above that but as previously posted little or no perceptible vibration to me.