Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #271
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
I have less than 100 miles on mine (more like 50) and rode to work today first time. 15 miles combination of urban, freeway, and downtown. Average mpg 57 - I love that! It's as powerfull as my v11 sport - plus is quiet, smooth and really light yet stable.

3.5K= about 70mph; 4K about 80. I haven't been much above that but as previously posted little or no perceptible vibration to me.
Let us know what you think once you get a chance to take it past 5 or 6k - on my f800r it was impossible to miss when you sat at a "sport cruise" of 5k RPMs, and the unfortunately gearing on that bike meant 4.8k at 75mph and about 5.5k at 85mph, buzztastic highway cruises. On an older f650gs I rode recently the damn seat would vibrate above 5k. The difference between that and the R bikes is quite profound. Really, a ~45 minute ride on the f650 had my palms tingling slightly, and I ride an R bike every day - I had forgotten what it was like.

The f800GT is supposed to have some magic in the bars to cut down on vibes, sounded pretty much like a bar snake type of device.

Quote:
I must really be desensitized as I don't feel any vibration to speak of up to 80+mph. Mirrors are crystal clear as well. Could it have something to do with set up/throttle body sync, something variable like that bike-to-bike?
Is the v11 sport your main point of comparison? I thought they were pretty vibey, but I haven't had the chance to ride one. I went to the f800r from a wee-strom, and the vibration was impossible to miss. (But somehow I bought it anyway )
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #272
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
I must really be desensitized as I don't feel any vibration to speak of up to 80+mph. Mirrors are crystal clear as well. Could it have something to do with set up/throttle body sync, something variable like that bike-to-bike?
There must be something wrong with my bike's setup then. My mirrors are somewhat blurry at 50 mph.

I will ask about the vibrations during my 6,000 mile service check.
Krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #273
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
GT Observations...

First, I overstated the speed vs rpm - it's actually turning about 73 mph at 4000 rpm. I'll stand by my earlier statement though - very little vibration, mirrors clear.

Ph0rk, I've owned a '05GS and briefly a '09RT in addition to a slew of other bikes over the years. I think the amount of vibration from the GS was variable depending upon it's state of tune - the only bikes I recall being exceptionally smooth at high speeds were my ST1100 and Trophy 1200 (4cyl, from 1997 not the new one).

Still, I don't ride fast like that any more. As a commuter, it's just too stressful. I rarely exceed the speed limit by more than 10mph and then it's usually the flow speed rather than me opening it up. I wanted something economical, fairly light and maneuverable but with ABS, Traction Control, and Heated grips. I didn't want a chain. I wanted conventional luggage that didn't look like an after thought and isn't wider than the handlebars. I think you'll agree that the list of bikes that meet all those basic requirements is pretty short - like one - the GT. It's been said before - the GT really is a mini-RT in it's own right. And please, don't suggest I'm ready for a scooter.

So far, the main thing that is bugging me is the off-idle throttle response. It doesn't have quite enough torque and I've stalled it several times. There is definitely room for improvement below 2500 rpm. I'm sure that some of it is me and I'll adapt. Above 2500 though I think it runs great and really handles well. The other thing is a very minor beef about the rear brake. It just doesn't have any bite. Works ok - again, probably something that I mostly need to readapt to.

Love the computer and display, the seat- peg - handle bar relationship is perfect for me. I don't think I have ever been this comfortable on a bike as delivered. I've lost track how many seats, windshields, bars and bar risers I've bought over the years. I can't wait to be able to take a long day ride to see if it's tank to tank comfortable. I wired up a "repair connector" cable for my GPS and added a dedicated Gerbings cable. It's really easy to work on so far. I also mounted my Krauser top box adapter to the luggage rack.

I took some pictures last night and I'll try and post them up tonight. I bought some hyper lights too and will post something about the install. Saturday the weather is supposed to be pretty nice so I should be able to get a good ride in and some pics of the beautiful bike in the wild.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #274
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakatoa View Post
I now have 3000 miles on my 2013 F800GT.

Overall, I really like it. It fits my 5'10" body perfectly. I like the low windshield as I get a clear view above it while riding. My chest is protected from the wind and my helmet is in clean air.

It has more than enough power. You can go all the way to 60 mph in 1st gear before it red lines.

Stopped at a light, the bike feels very easy to handle. While riding I can sit forward in the standard seat for an upright touring position or sit back in the seat for a more sporty position. The seat allows me about 4 to 5 inches of forward/backward movement. I have been on 6 hour rides and my butt does not hurt although I do change positions slightly every 15 or so minutes.

Gas mileage is great. I have gotten over 65 mpg. I think maximum range is around 240 miles, but I never went passed 220.

The only problem is that I do notice vibration in the bars. Occasionally my hands will get numb. I found that varying the gear or rpm will find sweet spots of less vibration. It is not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

I look forward to many years and miles of riding.

Very nice pic!
K7TNT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #275
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Update

Been commuting every day this week plus errands and a little recreational ride this past sunday - you know how a 3 mile trip to the mall can become 30 miles?

The more I ride the more I like it. I have had to make some adjustments to what my brain thinks is the right cruising gear/rpm, and pay a little more attention to creeping in traffic, starting off on hills, etc. The F800 doesn't have nearly the same low end torque of my Moto Guzzis.

But I still love the seat, and the positional relationship of the pegs-seat-bars. Weather protection is great - no need for hand guards or a taller shield. I've used the heated grips a couple of mornings deep in the 40's. It handles so precisely! I'm thrilled with my purchase.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #276
VegemiteSandwich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I've got 3000km on my GT now.

I'm only 5'1.5 on a good day. :) I've got the extra low seat and Daytona boots that give me a boost of a couple of cms. I can just about flat foot on both sides now which is a great improvement over when I first got it. With the low seat and std boots I was on my toes and had the misfortune of a stationary drop. Not a cheap prospect on a brand new Beemer! All fixed now though.

I too have am issue with my throttle hand getting numb (generally thumb and forefinger) I thought it might be due to the angle of the handlebars? If I make a concerted effort I can hold my hand at the right angle to stop it from going numb.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free
VegemiteSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #277
VegemiteSandwich
Adventurer

Does anyone have any aftermarket bits on their GT? I've ordered some frame sliders and other bits from R&G racing. Would like a cameltoe for the stand but they don't make one :(

Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #278
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegemiteSandwich View Post
Does anyone have any aftermarket bits on their GT? I've ordered some frame sliders and other bits from R&G racing. Would like a cameltoe for the stand but they don't make one :(

Have you looked at this site for accessories?

http://f800depot.com/f800gt.html?p=1

or checked out this forum?

http://f800riders.org/forum/forum.php

How often is the footprint of the stand a problem? For me so far, never. I've had this plastic plate for years that I keep in the top box so if I park on grass or dirt or hot asphalt I can just throw it down. But I've never used it!

As far as your hand goes, have you tried rotating the bars a little in the clamp? Installing Grip Puppies? I've also seen various risers available, you may need to call to confirm fitment for the GT fat bars but they certainly are not proprietary. You could probably even switch to a different bend if you know what you need to be comfortable.

I have not ridden any long distances yet so I could develop some discomfort but so far it's the most comfortable bike out of the box I've ever ridden.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #279
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've got 3000km on my GT now.

I'm only 5'1.5 on a good day. :) I've got the extra low seat and Daytona boots that give me a boost of a couple of cms. I can just about flat foot on both sides now which is a great improvement over when I first got it.

That sounds good! So, what is your inseam?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #280
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
Very nice pic!
Beautiful bike.
I also have been looking at this bike. It everything a touring bike should have in light package but the vibes are giving me second thoughts. Hands going numb is no small thing. First it's very dangerous, two, it cause permanent nerve damage. The numbness is feedback from your nerves that something is wrong. It's that great German engineering at work.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #281
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Beautiful bike.
I also have been looking at this bike. It everything a touring bike should have in light package but the vibes are giving me second thoughts. Hands going numb is no small thing. First it's very dangerous, two, it cause permanent nerve damage. The numbness is feedback from your nerves that something is wrong. It's that great German engineering at work.
If you rule out a model just because some individuals experience numbness somewhere you are going to be missing out on a lot of great bikes. Chances are Veggie's numbness problem is being exacerbated by the bike rather than being the cause of it.

I think the bike is very comfortable and experience very little vibration below 5k rpm. I don't spend much time there so it isn't a problem for me.

Everyone's mileage will vary.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #282
VegemiteSandwich
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
That sounds good! So, what is your inseam?
Inseam of stock me (no shoes) is 73.5 cms (28.9 inches).

Inseam of modded me (with Daytona boots) is 79 cms (31.1 inches)
Old 10-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #283
VegemiteSandwich
Adventurer

Quote:
If you rule out a model just because some individuals experience numbness somewhere you are going to be missing out on a lot of great bikes. Chances are Veggie's numbness problem is being exacerbated by the bike rather than being the cause of it.

I think the bike is very comfortable and experience very little vibration below 5k rpm. I don't spend much time there so it isn't a problem for me.

Everyone's mileage will vary.
I agree. I had a CB400 before my GT and the angle that my hand rested on the throttle was different - more straight on. So far I haven't worked out what to do to it to improve it (it's an expensive thing to try this and that and not know for certain what will work). The idea of turning the handlebars is a no cost option I'll try.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #284
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Inseam of stock me (no shoes) is 73.5 cms (28.9 inches).

Inseam of modded me (with Daytona boots) is 79 cms (31.1 inches)
Thanks, that is good info.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #285
Krickett
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I've got 9200 miles on my GT now. Just returned from a trip, put 5718 miles on over 26 days and 11 states. Only problems I had were the tires wore out at around the 8000 mile mark which is way earlier than I've ever had tires go on me before. On my ST I never got less than 11,000 (Dunlop and Metzlers). I also had my low beam headlight go out which the mechanic at the dealership that I stopped at to get the new tires said was caused by a broken clip in the headlight assembly. That clip doesn't come separately and the assembly is $500. It's a warranty fix of course but a pain in the rear cuz I have to have my dealer here order it and hopefully get it down there to get it fixed before the snow flies. (I live 150 miles from the nearest bmw dealership and I'm in MN so snow could be flying anytime!)

As for vibration in the bars I haven't noticed much of a problem with it in mine. The bike feels very smooth and comfortable to me.
Krickett is offline   Reply With Quote