Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #376
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
i haven't noticed any particularly annoying vibes in the '12 st, even at 80ish in 5th and 90+ in 6th (5K to 6K rpm). i mean, the engine definitely picks up when you crest 5k, but it's not a particularly extensive burr in the bars/pegs.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #377
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Only BMW 800 I've ridden was the F800R. Great demo, bluff country on the Mississippi river. In that environment, the heavy flywheel and slow-builiding revs was sorta disappointing in a naked sportbike platform. I took my FZ6 on the demo route afterward and thrashed it, the extra high-rpm hp, lighter weight, and pretty much zero flywheel were a riot.

For touring duty, the F800 is probably a very nice motor. Particularly loaded down with luggage. It didn't work well in a naked package for me, but I could see it as a solo tourer. So whether or not you like the motor will depend on your expectations and recent experience. Like most things.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #378
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 43
My 2013 F800GT has 4400 miles and is due for the yearly service next month. The engine vibrations have gotten better. I also changed my jacket from a leather one with bulky shoulders that caused wind turbulence to a Tourmaster jacket and now the airflow is much more smooth and quiet. I still have and like the stock screen. The stock seat is good for 1 or 2 hours. I have added an Airhawk seat cushion that I fill up half way and then the seat is good for 8 hours.

Krakatoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #379
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Man, these are great looking bikes.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #380
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Only BMW 800 I've ridden was the F800R. Great demo, bluff country on the Mississippi river. In that environment, the heavy flywheel and slow-builiding revs was sorta disappointing in a naked sportbike platform. I took my FZ6 on the demo route afterward and thrashed it, the extra high-rpm hp, lighter weight, and pretty much zero flywheel were a riot.

For touring duty, the F800 is probably a very nice motor. Particularly loaded down with luggage. It didn't work well in a naked package for me, but I could see it as a solo tourer. So whether or not you like the motor will depend on your expectations and recent experience. Like most things.
I don't have any delusions that the F800GT is a sport bike. Sport-touring certainly. Not built to have it's neck rung. That it has a belt drive should be one of the first clues.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #381
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

I have said my peace on the F800GT more than once, but one thing to mention: the flywheel feels much lighter than that of the F800R. Maybe it was just me being used to my R bike tank-like flywheel, but the tiniest blip of the throttle on the F800GT I rode brought the needle to 5k. Not 12k redline sportbike light, but it felt damn close at the time. Not at all hard to put the needle right where you want it
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #382
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
I tested the F700 and it was soft, plus you got stuck with the CVT transmission if you wanted ABS.
F700, CVT?
What?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #383
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
F700, CVT?
What?
Can't get anything past you can I?

Meant to say NC700X. Damn autocorrect! I fixed it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #384
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:

The Honda NC700 series doesn't have a CVT transmission, either. It is a dual clutch, multiple gear transmission. It actually shifts gears, mechanically similar to a standard manual transmission, or even more like a paddle shifted sports car transmission. Regardless, it isn't continuously variable.

Here's an article explaining dual clutch transmissions. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

And one on continuously variable transmissions. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

Hickey screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 07:05 AM
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #385
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Laugh Never stop learning!

Thanks Hickey - I guess I knew some of that. Now I know more and I will attempt to be more accurate in my future statements.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #386
kuffs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
I've heard of the booster plug I'll have to check that out. It's not a problem just something I had to get used to. I would hate to give up something else (economy, midrange?) Clutch is fine as is.
I did a bit of light research into the boosterplug and it seems like it was built by an EE who doesn't understand that he should be using his clutch (combined with appropriate throttle input) for low speed maneuvers. It's literally the first thing taught in the MSF courses. The F800GT already comes with decent adjustable levers that should be easy to use for most everyone.

Using one of these plugs seems like you run the risk of fouling the spark plugs, or burning up your catalytic converter. Not to mention potential starting and performance issues at the extremes of ambient temperature. The F800GT has a very generous 3 year warranty, and I'd hate to throw that away because I was too lazy to feather the clutch.
kuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #387
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuffs View Post
I did a bit of light research into the boosterplug and it seems like it was built by an EE who doesn't understand that he should be using his clutch (combined with appropriate throttle input) for low speed maneuvers. It's literally the first thing taught in the MSF courses. The F800GT already comes with decent adjustable levers that should be easy to use for most everyone.

Using one of these plugs seems like you run the risk of fouling the spark plugs, or burning up your catalytic converter. Not to mention potential starting and performance issues at the extremes of ambient temperature. The F800GT has a very generous 3 year warranty, and I'd hate to throw that away because I was too lazy to feather the clutch.
Unless you've owned an F800 that does the hiccup stall at the drop of a hat thing, (I did for 3 hideously long years) you really can't make an objective statement using such a generalization.

It's not about a lack of clutch adjustment or improper feathering, trust me. If you choose to argue or deny the experiences I had with mine, well I cannot stop you, but it won't change the facts, either...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #388
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
NO!

Quote:
I figured you meant the NC700 actually, and was waiting for a reply so I can
slap you around because you called it's transmission a CVT, but I got in too
late today and you were already served!

Thank god it doesn't have a CVT.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #389
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Thanks Hickey - I guess I knew some of that. Now I know more and I will attempt to be more accurate in my future statements.
I've been pleased over the years by how much I learn on ADV Rider. I do hope I didn't come off as rude or condescending and I apologize if I did. I posted rather quickly without much thought to the tone.

Hickey screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 04:32 PM
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #390
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Humbled!

Really Cortez and KHickey - I appreciate your educational comments and corrections. Some people on the board are kind of touchy but short of an outright hostile attack I know how take it, learn and move on.