Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #466
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
You should try one, the buzzing may surprise you. I fully expected magic with the press copy of the f800gt, maybe I was expecting too much.

To be honest, I didn't do enough high speed time withe Bonnies I have tested, mostly because I wasn't used to the windblast (back then) at speed. I am now, so I'd like to try one again. I don't remember the vibes sticking out that bad like an f800, but I remember them being there.

Yes, sensitivity to vibration likely varies between people - just like windscreen buffeting, etc. It is a hell of a lot easier to fix a bad windscreen than it is to fix buzzy bars (and I know how much of a pain it can be to go through windscreens until you find the right one) - maybe ultra heavy bar ends would shift the resonance point higher in the rev range. HVMP was working on some for the F800R but when last I checked they weren't ready yet.
So tell us what you own and ride so we have a reference to your low threshold for vibration you wuss!

Paul
Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #467
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
You should try one, the buzzing may surprise you. I fully expected magic with the press copy of the f800gt, maybe I was expecting too much.

To be honest, I didn't do enough high speed time withe Bonnies I have tested, mostly because I wasn't used to the windblast (back then) at speed. I am now, so I'd like to try one again. I don't remember the vibes sticking out that bad like an f800, but I remember them being there.

Yes, sensitivity to vibration likely varies between people - just like windscreen buffeting, etc. It is a hell of a lot easier to fix a bad windscreen than it is to fix buzzy bars (and I know how much of a pain it can be to go through windscreens until you find the right one) - maybe ultra heavy bar ends would shift the resonance point higher in the rev range. HVMP was working on some for the F800R but when last I checked they weren't ready yet.
Bonnie's New and old, all have 360 degree engines like the F800. Having had a 2008 it definitely vibrates more that the F650GS twin I have now. I also have a Triumph Scrambler 900 with a 270 degree engine....this design give a bit more torque, a bit less peak power over it's Bonneville sister. Vibration about the same.

Frome the other post I think the biggest difference in the f800 is the aluminum frame on the GT/ST/R. No the question to ST and R owners ...is the vibration bad??

Or is it only a GT thing?

or is it only some people are sensitive ( in a good way of course!!)
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #468
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Bonnie's New and old, all have 360 degree engines like the F800. Having had a 2008 it definitely vibrates more that the F650GS twin I have now. I also have a Triumph Scrambler 900 with a 270 degree engine....this design give a bit more torque, a bit less peak power over it's Bonneville sister. Vibration about the same.

Frome the other post I think the biggest difference in the f800 is the aluminum frame on the GT/ST/R. Now the question to ST and R owners ...is the vibration bad??

Or is it only a GT thing?

or is it only some people are sensitive ( in a good way of course!!)

Yes, very much so, the vibes can be variable based on owner sensitivity, and even bike to bike, (same exact model) I'm sure. Some don't notice it at all, others notice it but are unaffected, others are nuked by it.

My ST (2009 model bought brand new in the showroom in 2010) would have kicked sand in the face of a paint mixer machine, for outrageous vibes, lol.

But in my defence, I had many physical proofs to back me up that I wasn't imagining things.

I will PM you with a small example laundry list, so to avoid certain people here from beaking off about a thread derailment, or just to be asses 'cause they have nothing better to do.

L.B.S. screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 12:17 PM
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #469
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
So tell us what you own and ride so we have a reference to your low threshold for vibration you wuss!

Paul
I talk about my bike too much as it is, but it is the same one listed in my profile: a BMW R1200R.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #470
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
More vibration observation

I was reading some of the most recent posts this morning right before I left for work and decided to try and be really objective about the power and vibration issues.

Some one mention vibes at 5200 - 5500 rpm. I was running an indicated 75mph at 4200 rpms, which is as fast as I wanted to go and probably 5-8 mph faster than I normally ride on the urban freeways especially in rush hour. Vibrations in the handgrips were minimal. Nothing in the pegs or seat. Exhaust barely discernable. Comfortable position wise - helmet in clear air, wind touching my shoulders. Hands out of the wind blast. 5200 rpm calculates out to about 93 mph. I may never see 90 (I know I'm old and slow) let alone run an extended period of time at that speed.

Roll on power is very nice and smooth I can jump from 60-75 effortlessly. No surging or fueling issues of any kind anywhere in the power band. There is not enough torque at idle to drive the bike and I have stalled it a few times but I'm learning.

I seem to get about 49 mpg commuting no matter how I ride.

So this is no sport bike, and I don't know if I would want to spend 60 days in the saddle touring on it, and I don't know how it would ride with a passenger but I have never been so satisfied with an essentially stock bike after six months as I have with this one. I couldn't count how many seats and windshields and handlebars or risers I have bought in the last 20 years, never quite finding perfection.
cpallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #471
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 626
in my case, the loaner gt may not have been broken in? people say both the st and the gt settle down with regards to the "5K vibes" with a thousand or so miles on the clock.

sounds like you shift under 5K, typically. i usually run the gears on my st (and the loaner gt) out a little longer, shifting around 6Kish unless i'm alone on the backroads, and then i wind out it a fair but further. and yeah, it won't properly take off until roundabout 2K. (i do more clutch feathering on the st than i'd like in stop-and-go, but eh, i'm used to it now.)

personally speaking, the vibes on the gt were noticeable, but hardly ride-ruiningly terrible. if someone offered to trade me gt for my st today, i'd take it without a second thought just for the higher bars and refined abs.

(kinda like the oldschool bmw switchgear, though! MADNESS HAS SETTLED IN.)
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #472
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
All of these F bikes also have differently tuned engines and power outputs.

S and ST was the same, then came out the GS with lower output I believe,
then the R with the highest of them all, and I don't know what the rated power
of the GT is - but all of these bikes have different power/torque curves.

Steel frame on the GS and more suspension travel might make a huge diff
in reducing vibrations. Thinking back thru the years, there was really no
or very rare complaints from GS users, while S and ST were all over the
place with unhappy owners.

It wasn't until the Tiger 800 came out that I saw reviews mentioning vibes
on the F800GS, but most early reviews on the S/ST mentioned it (2007 or
so).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #473
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
in my case, the loaner gt may not have been broken in? people say both the st and the gt settle down with regards to the "5K vibes" with a thousand or so miles on the clock.

sounds like you shift under 5K, typically. i usually run the gears on my st (and the loaner gt) out a little longer, shifting around 6Kish unless i'm alone on the backroads, and then i wind out it a fair but further. and yeah, it won't properly take off until roundabout 2K. (i do more clutch feathering on the st than i'd like in stop-and-go, but eh, i'm used to it now.)

personally speaking, the vibes on the gt were noticeable, but hardly ride-ruiningly terrible. if someone offered to trade me gt for my st today, i'd take it without a second thought just for the higher bars and refined abs.

(kinda like the oldschool bmw switchgear, though! MADNESS HAS SETTLED IN.)
6k is like 3/4 up to peak power or so?
Do you use full throttle doing that?

You're either riding very fast all the time or revving the bike too high
without a reason.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #474
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
6k is like 3/4 up to peak power or so?
Do you use full throttle doing that?

You're either riding very fast all the time or revving the bike too high
without a reason.
??? how is that revving the bike too high? redline's what, 8.5k? in town i short shift, but on the slab or backroads, i shift at much higher revs. i like the sound, anyhow.

quasigentrified screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 03:07 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #475
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
??? how is that revving the bike too high? redline's what, 8.5k? in town I short shift, but on the slab or backroads, i shift at higher revs. i like the sound, anyhow.
It's still 3/4 of available revs, that sounds high to me.
I thought you ride it like that all the time and everywhere.

I can understand flogging it around some corners, I used to shift my 650R at
6-7k (9k power peak, 11k redline) just before it's last kick in the power band
but it wasn't really any slower if I kept it 2k lower, and your bike is probably
even less so.

I know people who use most of the revs on all bikes even around town,
even if it's a CBR, and that's just stupid.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #476
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

stupid? i'd say it's rider preference. the power seems pretty linear through the revs after 3k, after all. in downtown, with a 1st gear that hits 30+ at 5k, i'm lucky to hafta shift at all! (i spend more time feathering the damn clutch below 16 mph.)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #477
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
stupid? i'd say it's rider preference. in downtown, with a 1st gear that hits 30+ at 5k, i'm lucky to hafta shift at all! (i spend more time feathering the damn clutch below 18 mph.)
I call it bike abuse (ppl who ride at 10k in 1st around town).

Twins need a lot of clutch work around town, yeah, that's why my 650R
was such a pain around town, but I'd still end up in 5th gear at 40mph at
around 3000 revs and keep it there.

I was shifting hundreds of times in every small city ride, constantly keeping
the revs between 3000 and 4000 (since there was some vibes at 4000-4500).

And above 4500 it got too loud and drew unwanted attention and wanted
to take off, hard to keep it steady.

No such issues on the FZ6, but not even similar torque and instant throttle
response either (and you want that sometimes).

Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #478
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,704
You'll have to excuse Cortez, he doesn't understand fun.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #479
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
You'll have to excuse Cortez, he doesn't understand fun.

It just makes me wonder how much abuse my FZ6 might have had before
it got to me, and if it will blow up at 60k miles and not 100k miles because of
it. I hate buying used bikes.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #480
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

i assume that i am riding well within manufacturer tolerances if i'm not bumping the needle off redline every few minutes!