Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #526
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 213
I covered the air box in silencing rubberized foam / foil mat. It defiantly took the edge off the intake honk. A huge improvement for my ears.

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 14 Tiger 800 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #527
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 37
My 2013 F800GT was included in the recall for the side stand switch.

I got the work done today. No price was listed on my receipt as it was covered under warranty.
Krakatoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #528
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 504
is there any one on this list who is happy with their F800GT?
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #529
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
I am among those who are thrilled. I have added a few things:
Fenda Extenda
Puig Hugger
Mud Flap
Grip Puppies
Mirror Extenders
GPS Mount and Cig Lighter Plug
Small Magnetic Mount Tank Bag
Krauser 45L Top Box
I have not changed:
Windscreen
Seat
Foot Pegs
Handlebars
Exhaust
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #530
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 652
it's not a gt, but i am quite happy with my st.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #531
Krakatoa
Waiting...

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
I am somewhat happy. I like the ease of riding it around town. It is sporty, fast, great fuel milage - I average 62 mpg.

The main issue I have with it was the initial marketing. I thought I was getting a mini RT. Instead I got a F800 ST with new body work. There are vibrations from the engine at highway speeds that some people don't mind while I find the vibrations detracting from an otherwise fine bike.

I think that is what defines the model. A fine bike. I wanted an awesome bike.

Krakatoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 AM   #532
Autonomous
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am very happy with what I spent ,I finally got.

Don't forget that the "F" range is some kind of an appetizer, it must be good and tasty, but not that good to cut your appetite for "R", "K" and "S" ranges.
Autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #533
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Krakatoa - I thought I was getting a mini RT. Instead I got a F800 ST with new body work. A fine bike. I wanted an awesome bike.
Very well put Krakatoa. I have 1,300 miles on it. I want to love it. I'm trying. Really.

High-Lites
*gear box
*brakes
*top end pull
*light & flickable in the corners
*belt drive

Low points for me
*lack of low end torque I would happily give some top end for some more on the bottom. I wonder what a 270˚ crank would be like in this motor?
*ergonomics in order: seat (mine is a BMW comfort, good for 40 min) foot peg position lower please, handlebar position more RT-ish please.
*distracting buzz in the handle bars
*heat on the left leg when temps are over 90˚ F. I've had bikes with bigger heat issues.
*CAN-bus factory Power-Let won't run my heated liner for more than 30 min. on medium.
*non resettable maintenance lamp-$$$$ tool, or see a dealer.

For what these things cost, the low points should have been ironed out at the factory.

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 14 Tiger 800 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #534
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
I really want to get a demo ride on one of these. My RT bored me to tears. It was too heavy, stable, and smooth. It was neat riding 400 miles and feeling fresh, but it was not engaging.
I want something more like my VFR, but much more comfortable ergos.
Then I can complement it with a cheap 250 DS.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #535
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
I really want to get a demo ride on one of these. My RT bored me to tears. It was too heavy, stable, and smooth. It was neat riding 400 miles and feeling fresh, but it was not engaging.
I want something more like my VFR, but much more comfortable ergos.
Then I can complement it with a cheap 250 DS.
If going long and riding big days in the saddle I'd choose RT.
While the GT may be a bit more engaging it's geared too tall to be a thriller. She need to be pushed to about 4K rpm before you fell the power kick in, then some complain of vibrations. No, not as abrupt as the VFR/vtec!

Paul
Old 06-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #536
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

To Mikey and Stu

I had a (2009) R1200RT prior to the GT. It was tall, and heavy (especially full of fuel) and wasn't really all that smooth. The seat sucked - pushing my nuts into the tank and so I spent $700 on a corbin seat off of ebay - and had to wire up adapters for the heat. I got varying amounts of turbulence depending on the screen adjustment and so I bought a V-Stream screen. Then my wrist started hurting so I got bar risers. It never did feel great.

I have the loaded GT with comfort seat, and have not been motivated at all to change anything - it's really comfortable for me for at least a tank of gas (200+ miles). My helmet is in clean airflow - all I need is ear plugs. No hidden features in the seat to come out and pinch or bruise or split my ass. So in addition to saving AT LEAST $8000 in acquisition cost it hasn't cost me anything in required ergo changes (although I always buy some accessories - doesn't count). It allowed me to go out and buy a nice dual sport.

I love how everything works as a package. It's extremely precise - steering, braking, fueling. It's a joy to ride and gives me great confidence - makes me feel like a much smoother and better rider than I probably am. I am, by the way - 5'10 and about 200#, 31" inseam.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #537
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
I had a (2009) R1200RT prior to the GT. It was tall, and heavy (especially full of fuel) and wasn't really all that smooth. The seat sucked - pushing my nuts into the tank and so I spent $700 on a corbin seat off of ebay - and had to wire up adapters for the heat. I got varying amounts of turbulence depending on the screen adjustment and so I bought a V-Stream screen. Then my wrist started hurting so I got bar risers. It never did feel great.

I have the loaded GT with comfort seat, and have not been motivated at all to change anything - it's really comfortable for me for at least a tank of gas (200+ miles). My helmet is in clean airflow - all I need is ear plugs. No hidden features in the seat to come out and pinch or bruise or split my ass. So in addition to saving AT LEAST $8000 in acquisition cost it hasn't cost me anything in required ergo changes (although I always buy some accessories - doesn't count). It allowed me to go out and buy a nice dual sport.

I love how everything works as a package. It's extremely precise - steering, braking, fueling. It's a joy to ride and gives me great confidence - makes me feel like a much smoother and better rider than I probably am. I am, by the way - 5'10 and about 200#, 31" inseam.
Your RT is 6 years old the GT is a new/modified model, have you tried the '14 RT? I was lucky enough to ride the '14 RT before the "stop ride" and think that bike is better for me if going long with big days ..... but as always, YMMV!

No doubt the GT is less expensive but for me "value" is about what works best for me.

I've got about 3K miles on my GT and think it's a nice bike but at the end of a long day at high speeds an RT would leave me more refreshed. Also with the heat and humidity here in SW Florida I find the GT to too hot for me here when temps grt up into the upper 80's with high humidity, but I'm an old fart, cancer survivor, and can't tolerate heat very well..
This ain't Seattle but I wish had your roads and mountains here..... at times. You keep the weather.

I bought the GT because I wanted something cheap and easy to maintain, economical to operate, light enough to throw around the high Alpine passes all day, and with a strong dealer net work in Europe. Not for long distance high speed autobahn burning . It needed a Sargent seat a Madstad windscreen/bracket for better weather protection, luggage, etc.. to make it suitable for my needs. FYI, I'm 1" taller, 10 lb. heavier, and 32" inseam,......... and 70 years young.

On July 1st I fly to Europe to be reunited with the GT and I'll spend 6+ weeks using her as intended!.She's a replacement for a '95 K11RS I've kept in Heidelberg Germany since 2009 .. I'm a luck guy, a very luck guy!

In the name of full disclosure: I'm a big fan of the boxer motor and have a '11 R12R. I had planned to ship it to Europe but when BMW announced the fuel pump flange recall I had to change my plans. The shipping agent suggested that sometimes Customs will check vins against recalls and if they find an open recall they will not let the bike leave the US, soooo I got the GT. Two days after the GT left port BMW announced the side stand switch recall on the GT, WTF!!!! The ship had already left the port so I was spared, but now I've got deal with having the recall executed in Europe on a US registered bike..... what a hassel, THANK YOU BMW! Rant over...

Paul

Roadscum screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 07:17 PM
Roadscum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #538
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

RT vs GT

I'm not saying necessarily that in general the GT is a better bike than the RT - it just is for me. I haven't done any big trips yet - but I do ride year round including commuting 30 miles/day round trip pretty much rain or shine as long as the temperature at my house is >36 degrees @ 0630. It's excellent at that, much more so than the RT. This summer I will probably take at least one 3 day trip on it so we'll see how that goes. I have a tendency around here to not stay on the interstate for very long or far. Too many interesting secondary roads.

I have no doubt the new RT is a big improvement over the olders ones. I recently rode a 2014 K1600GT for a few hours and it is definitely a technological marvel and I have read that most all that stuff is available on the RT now. It's all good but I am not willing (or maybe it's able) to pay for all that. It would be nice to drive an M5 when I didn't feel like riding, but alas I can get by in my Honda Fit. And you know what? I couldn't find a windshield position where I didn't experience some buffeting, and my butt was burning a little by the time the ride was over so go figure.

Who knows, when you start riding around in the Alps on the GT you might begin to appreciate it's simplicity, precision, and economy! Have a great trip - the sidestand thing is a 30 min fix I wouldn't worry about it. You are a lucky guy!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #539
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
My RT was also an 09, fully loaded. I really had high hopes, it was such a NICE bike.

I don't commute every day, but maybe a day a week, year round. And I do about 3-4 1k mile weekends two up annually. I don't have time for long trips, with three young kids, but I almost always buy a bike that's ready for it just in case.

There are a couple GT's for sale in my area (within 500 miles at least). I'm going to get on the phone and see what the trade situation looks like.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #540
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
My RT was also an 09, fully loaded. I really had high hopes, it was such a NICE bike.

I don't commute every day, but maybe a day a week, year round. And I do about 3-4 1k mile weekends two up annually. I don't have time for long trips, with three young kids, but I almost always buy a bike that's ready for it just in case.

There are a couple GT's for sale in my area (within 500 miles at least). I'm going to get on the phone and see what the trade situation looks like.
The two-up part is where I fear the GT will fall short with respect to the RT.