ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
cbig OP
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 885
Any Death Valley news?

Getting redy to go soon, and was wondering if there's any updates besides what the morning report suggests. Anyone ride out there recently?

Thanks,

Cb
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,426
I'm pretty sure it's still there.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,666
Ill be there

Next week over thanksgiving so do me a favor and ride the following report back conditions:

• Hunter Mountain
  • Hidden Valley
  • Lippencott
  • South Pass
  • Saline Valley
  • Steel Pass
And any others if you feel so inclined.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
cbig OP

will c

Steel pass presents a fuel problem. Rest may be doable...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,506
I read around here somewhere that the Furnace Creek campground has been remodeled, and is now "sanitized". You have to park and walk a short distance to your campsite.

Is Death Valley Daze (dual sport/adv/side car event) coming up soon? I went about 4 years ago, and had a blast.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
Was there 2 weeks ago.

In general the Titus Canyon, Beatty, and Chloride Cliffs areas were in very good shape.

It was told to us by Rocky in Ballarat that a confirmed tornado (with the associated rain) hit the Panamint range in August. Goler wash steps were layered with new gravel and very easy to go up. We only made it 2.3 miles past the steps though and the damage was great. We had to turn around since we were on big bikes and loaded. A Jeep told me he made it within 2 miles of Barker Ranch then he too turned around. I have no reports of coming into the Mengal Pass area from the East.

We headed up Saline to Cerro Gordo and found the area quite full of loose rocks and sand, made it ok though. Attempted to get to the Salt Tram but no go. Again, on a 950 Adventure. A light bike would have been no problem.

I talked to a BMW 800GS and KTM 950 that made it to the Hot Springs via South Pass. Pretty rough, but passable on bikes. Jeeps?? I would think Hunter and Lippincott would be loose and ok on light bikes. Talked to a BMW1200GS 2 up that attempted the road to The Racetrack. Too rough for them, but I think it was just washboarding (normal).

Reported that North Pass was smooth as glass. (Mining operation) Maybe do Steele Pass via Big Pine and North Pass.. We do have more weather coming in though.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
scruffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I may be a last minute show up. Would come on Tuesday or Wednesday and bring small bikes and looking for someone to ride with.

Don
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,426
Does panamint springs sell out over thanksgiving?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 491
Planing on D/V on NOV. 23 to 25 First choice is coming from south / east up warm springs threw butte valley, down goler but dose not sound promising, Any input would be helpful I don't know all the little roads or if there is any other way over that ridge
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Does panamint springs sell out over thanksgiving?
Back in the Good Ol' Days, it used to be full, but the past few years, there have been plenty of spaces left. I didn't make reservations this year, and we are planning on going, and not worried about finding a spot. Looks like it will be warm this year; maybe that will bring more people. Past few years, it was on the cool side, but still nice. If it's full, you can always camp at Ballarat.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
cbig OP

we r

Planning to start from Panamint this weekend. We are on ktm 530's and xr's so our fuel range will be about 120 miles maybe 150 with an extra 1 gal. We may leave Tuesday afternoon to head down near Spangler on our way home. Plan is to ride Husky Monument or Schmidt's, mess around on some hills and turn for home.

Morning Report shows Mengel as open. I will confirm that. If so, make that the first trip. A stop at the rangers' on the way back should clear questions.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
superhobie
Soil Sampler

Oddometer: 103
Death Valley News Nov 9-11

Rode 3 days in the valley starting and ending in Ridgecrest both on XR650R. 1st day started a little late hoping to make Goler to Furnace but ended up doing to much exploring and back tracking trying routes on or near the Gov property to the backside of Wingate rd. My partners bike had a light issue so we elected to slab from Panamint to Furnace where we had a room at the Ranch. 2nd day we rode Echo to Beatty then down Titus to Ubehebe then out to Teakettle and Hidden Valley to Hunter Mt and over to Saline Rd racing the sun again to PSR. Echo was in great shape as was Hidden and Hunter, in fact everything on the North side seemed mostly unaffected by the Aug-Sept rains. Talked to a guy that had done North Pass stayed at the Springs and out Lippencot and he said basically the same thing, everything pretty decent maybe a little more loose rock but still very rideable. 3rd day was PSR to an out and back of Goler to Mengel, of everything we rode Goler was in the roughest shape but still not bad considering the beating it took. We rode to the descent of Mengel and turned back due to time and logistic constraints. Mengel looked like it would be tricky on a smaller bike and a nightmare on a bigger bike. BTW there basically is no step on Goler with all the fill they pushed in to fix some of the washouts. Hope that helps.
Day #1 route http://tiny.cc/DeathValley1
Day #2 route http://tiny.cc/DeathValley2
Day #3 route http://tiny.cc/DeathValley3
superhobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #13
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,773
Looking to ride back from Barstow to Vegas through Butte Valley/Goler Wash with a few Texans.
I'd be very interested in hearing any first hand reports from this weekend.
Bikes will range from a G650 to a couple of XR400's and the chubby Husky.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 491
Thanks for all the info you guys are grate . We well be looking for ya .
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
cbig OP

interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhobie View Post
Rode 3 days in the valley starting and ending in Ridgecrest both on XR650R. 1st day started a little late hoping to make Goler to Furnace but ended up doing to much exploring and back tracking trying routes on or near the Gov property to the backside of Wingate rd. My partners bike had a light issue so we elected to slab from Panamint to Furnace where we had a room at the Ranch. 2nd day we rode Echo to Beatty then down Titus to Ubehebe then out to Teakettle and Hidden Valley to Hunter Mt and over to Saline Rd racing the sun again to PSR. Echo was in great shape as was Hidden and Hunter, in fact everything on the North side seemed mostly unaffected by the Aug-Sept rains. Talked to a guy that had done North Pass stayed at the Springs and out Lippencot and he said basically the same thing, everything pretty decent maybe a little more loose rock but still very rideable. 3rd day was PSR to an out and back of Goler to Mengel, of everything we rode Goler was in the roughest shape but still not bad considering the beating it took. We rode to the descent of Mengel and turned back due to time and logistic constraints. Mengel looked like it would be tricky on a smaller bike and a nightmare on a bigger bike. BTW there basically is no step on Goler with all the fill they pushed in to fix some of the washouts. Hope that helps.
Day #1 route http://tiny.cc/DeathValley1
Day #2 route http://tiny.cc/DeathValley2
Day #3 route http://tiny.cc/DeathValley3

We'll give it a shot and if able post a photo. Looks like Mengel is passable, but tough from the Morning Report. If I stop long enough to take a photo I'll try and remember to post. (Not too good at remembering to take pictures)

I'll probably be on an xr400, maybe xr600 depending on range, so most obstacles shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks,

Chuck