User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
TinyBear OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Post accident bike options.

On Sep 12 2012 I was hit by a cage turning left across my path. I sustained a small list of injuries with the worst being my left leg being nearly severed above the ankle. I had two major bouts with infection and nearly lost my leg due to it. But alas I was able to make a recovery if not a complete one. This season was my first I was able to return to riding and although I have been ecstatic to be back on two wheels I am realizing I have some physical limitations that are limiting my ability to ride.

For one shifting while on my Honda CBF 600. Is incredibly difficult due to for one the knee angle and for two the fact that my lower leg is slightly crooked (aka foot is essentially 15-20* to the left of my knee at rest) my leg is also just about 1"shorter on my left. Also keeping my knee bent at much of an angle bent for A length of time causes discomfort limiting my riding to around 1/2 hr on my Honda. Also the narrow lowish bars are causing issues with strain in my shoulders (again due to accident).

To combat this mid summer I picked up a cheap DR650 as the position was more accommodating. This was intended as a temporary thing till I strengthened enuff to get back to riding the honda I so loved. The DR works but is only comfy for a short while. And the carb fuelling is driving me mad.

But as time goes on. I beginning to realize I may not be able to fully recover mobility in my leg. And it maybe time to consider different bikes better suited to my new mobilities.

My riding consists of daily commuting, weekend solo trips, SHORT two up rides mostly in town, long haul two to three week long solo trips, some fun couple times a year at the drag strip test and tune nights (speed not rly important just a lot of fun trying to beat your own times). And the occasional dirt road riding.

I stand 5'11(now lol). And weight in at 250lbs. The best position for my leg is just shy of straight out infront (allows me most ankle flex ability and comfort). So naturally I'm strongly consisting a cruiser.

BUT the kicker is. Insurance In Ontario is insane. And thus I'd like to keep it below 1000cc. I would be selling both my Honda and my DR to fun this purchase so have a budget are $10,000cdn.

I have owned and LOVED a couple cruisers in the past and am considering a few now as that seams best for my leg. I had a Vstar 1100 I absolutely loved and miss but sold due to the crazy insurance costs. And more recently I had a Vulcan 500 witch though a tad small for my size rode great and was a lot of fun, it even did ok two up and was just a hoot to ride. This was the bike that was totalled when I got hit.

Next bike MUST be fuel injected. (I mechanic for a living I hate being in the garage more than needed). And ABS though not required is a huge plus.

The bikes I considering are a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom (love the look and peg distance is absolutely perfect). It's a nice sized bike and seems comfy. Also LOVE the 20l tank for range.

Next is the Honda ctx700. This bike feels comfy has the ABS brakes I want. BUT it's a hard bike to look at and has a TINY fuel tank. It's also newer and is less proven I suppose.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. What other under 1000cc bikes would you recommend that a person can ride with there legs nearly stretched out yet still hopefully be semi comfy.

TinyBear screwed with this post 09-06-2014 at 03:50 PM
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
The Vstar 950 looks to be right up your alley.

New US list price is only $8690.

edit: Doesn't look like it has ABS, though.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
lambotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
The looks of the CTX 700 will grow on you, seriously. The main thing is the bike rides fantastic. Low cog and ergonomics make this bike a joy to ride. The 700 is a great engine. Given the limitations with the left leg you might want to consider the dct option. Don't worry about the tank size. 60-70mpg should make the 3 gallon tank work just fine.

Kevin

Honda CB1100
Honda CTX700N DCT

lambotte screwed with this post 09-06-2014 at 04:59 PM
lambotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
Triumph America / Speedmaster. 50ish hp out of 865cc, decent lean angle, EFI since '09. Tsukayu hard bags look the part.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,095
I am sorry to hear about your issues.

Beside going toward a cruiser what about bikes like the Honda DN01, or one of the large wheel scooter.
Burgman, silverwing, often they are feet forward and you don't have to shift.

Aside from that what about lifts for your shoes and is there anything you could do via physical therapy?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
TinyBear OP
Studly Adventurer

The dtc are not available in canada for the CTX700. But even still I'd rly like to stay manual. Despite my leg limits I still refuse to give up my stick shift cage as well (I'm a stubborn fool lol). Nothing against autos just enjoy my manuals.

I considered the vstar 950 and the suzuki C50. Liked both but the way the floor boards are placed I could not shift em unless using the heal shifters. I tend to prefer the traditional shifter setup but I suppose I should try a heal shifter again with these limitations.

The CTX and the Vulcan 900 custom so far are the only bikes I tried were my foot falls into place with the shifters. I will have to get out to a triumph dealer still but that's a bike I forgot about thanx.

Scooters are a last resort for me. I think they would work well but would not be ideal for any dirt road and would be slightly boring at the drag strip aka I'd miss shifting too much.

As for physio I have done that quite a bit and have surpassed what surgeon expected to see from me in flexibility and strength. But there's only so far things can go with the metal I have holding things together. So although I not giving up getting stronger I do want to continue enjoying two wheeled life and in the event I don't get more mobility I want to explore options
Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
How about changing the ergos on the 600? Lower pegs, custom shifter if you need it, heli bars or risers or a street fighter bar kit?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #8
TinyBear OP
Studly Adventurer

Considered that along with having the seat built up higher. Just fear the knee angle could still be an issue.

I also considered just building the DR up for more comfort. But I won't be doing much off roading, I enjoy it but its difficult to get up on the pegs and more so to keep balance on the pegs as my day to day I have come to rly on my right leg. So on the pegs I have difficulty. And secondly two up with the DR even just around town is not an option.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Call Renazco about the seat, I did a +1.5" on my lil Ninja 300 to gain legroom. It and a set of adjustable rear sets let me fit really well at 6-01. Not saying it is the answer, but if you like that bike you should be able to make it fit you much better if not perfectly.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
The dtc are not available in canada for the CTX700. But even still I'd rly like to stay manual. Despite my leg limits I still refuse to give up my stick shift cage as well (I'm a stubborn fool lol). Nothing against autos just enjoy my manuals.

I considered the vstar 950 and the suzuki C50. Liked both but the way the floor boards are placed I could not shift em unless using the heal shifters. I tend to prefer the traditional shifter setup but I suppose I should try a heal shifter again with these limitations.

The CTX and the Vulcan 900 custom so far are the only bikes I tried were my foot falls into place with the shifters. I will have to get out to a triumph dealer still but that's a bike I forgot about thanx.

Scooters are a last resort for me. I think they would work well but would not be ideal for any dirt road and would be slightly boring at the drag strip aka I'd miss shifting too much.

As for physio I have done that quite a bit and have surpassed what surgeon expected to see from me in flexibility and strength. But there's only so far things can go with the metal I have holding things together. So although I not giving up getting stronger I do want to continue enjoying two wheeled life and in the event I don't get more mobility I want to explore options
Have you looked at the small block Guzzi? Excellent bikes. The C50 is an awesome bike, had the pleasure of riding one for a day and was impressed by the power and handling.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Looks like some time spent here might help...

http://cycle-ergo.com/
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
TLiked both but the way the floor boards are placed I could not shift em unless using the heal shifters. I tend to prefer the traditional shifter setup but I suppose I should try a heal shifter again with these limitations.
I don't have a bike suggestion for you, but the ONE bike I had with a heel shifter, I DID get used to it. Even missed having it for a while after I got out of it. Considering your description, heel shifter may work best for you - but then you are at a cruiser again...

And X2 on the cycle ergo site.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
If you find a bike that makes your heart beat faster, and it's narrow enough, could you add a second peg forward with secondary shifter? As a mechanic, this should be within your abilities or circle of contacts.

Next idea: While Sportsters are likely NOT your preference, let me mention something: You can buy the 883 model, and tune it up to a 1250 quite easily and for a little over $1000. Build it hot, put the length shocks on it that should have been on it to get decent ride and cornering, and adjust your riding style for lower RPM's and higher torque. These can come with forward controls, and are adjustable in any way you can choose. The 883R or Roadster would be a great model to start with. FI, but not ABS.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Honda Shadow?

Honda's Shadow RS always looked interesting to me. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from a cruiser guy, but that Honda seemed to combine a classic look with Honda build quality. I've also run across a couple of customs built from the Shadow RS platform (by the German outfit LSL, I think) that really struck a chord. I've often thought that if I had to go with a cruiser, that would be the one. Plus, at 750cc, the insurance should be pretty moderate.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,752
That cycle ergo site is awesome as once you find a comfortable bike it's easy to find similar competition.

neighbour just got a Suz M50 which is an 800cc injected cruiser. Also consider a large scooter. I'd have to swallow my pride a little but I recently talked to a couple who rode 2up to Florida from Orillia and back every year on one, with a weeks worth of groceries under the seat.

good luck... if you need any help in the Barrie area let me know.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote