User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,470
My new, bad trike idea

I found a great deal on a Honda ATC350X a few years ago. I've been occasionally riding it and occasionally doing a little resto on it. The thing is a lot of fun. It makes me smile a ton.

I've seen a couple people that have taken newer quads and put trike front ends on them. One, a Honda 400EX. Basically just a newer, E start version of my 350. The other was a newer Honda TRX450. It was a pretty wicked looking monster.

This got me thinking that a trike with a newer chassis might be a a bit nicer than the older 350. It's in my mind to use a 525 Outlaw quad. Why? The IRS. (Suspension. Not the tax agency.)

I would really like to invite some speculation from other/former trike nuts on how a trike with IRS might handle.

I believe straight line stability would be much better. Harder to turn at slower speeds, would climb hills much more predictably but be harder to side hill.

Thoughts?
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Wouldn't a backward leaner be cool?
Sidehill leaned would be weird but it could rail corners. Too bad I have no
idea how to build one.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
but it could rail corners.
That's another concern of mine. With IRS there is more body lean. Combined with only one tire on the front it could produce a weird side effect. Could be what a trike needs in corners - a bit of weight off the inner rear tire to make the turn better. Or it could be a disaster and cause the front to dive?

I'd build this thing with a bias for mud though; not race tracks. The extra ground clearance could be awesome.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Against better judgement, I ordered a front hub for a trike. And I put the word to the street that I need a front end. We'll see where this goes.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Well I'm not a trike nut, but I've ridden a few old Honda ATCs. So here is my two cents, you are getting your meoney's worth here.

I wouldn't try to build a trike, especially a high-powered one, with IRS. I don't think it will turn worth a s... I mean darn. Trikes rely on the solid axle, as you know the fast way around a turn is to kind of get it tipped up with the inside wheel off (or nearly off) the ground, and let her drift. IRS will tend to keep both rear wheels planted, which won't allow you to turn real well. If I were to do it, I'd follow the "conventional wisdon" and graft the front half of a 450 Honda dirt bike onto the rear end of a 450 quad.

But that's me. You have an interesting idea and if you go ahead with it, I'd sure like to see how it goes.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Thanks.
I'm still not sure what the donor quad will be.
It will be a bike front end, sort of. The triples will have to be wider to accommodate the front wheel. Haven't found the donor bike yet either.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: