Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #31
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Bumping up an older thread here, but our Roku arrives tomorrow.

Discowife decided that we needn't be paying the outrageous Comcast bill any longer (plus this was due in part to a massive meltdown I had with Comcast on Sunday - long story). We will be stuck with Comcast for broadband - the only other choice is CenturyLink DSL, but the speeds are 20x slower, and I am not willing to downgrade to that extent, but we will be dropping cable and phone next week, for a savings of somewhere around $150/month. I HATE Comcast, but they are really the only option here for decent internet.

We have two very nice TV's, and we currently stream Amazon Prime through the PS3 on the basement TV, but we needed something for upstairs (first world problems, I know), so she wanted to get the Roku, and an HD antenna for local stations.

Any issues with it? How is the picture quality? I've been surprised at how good some of the streaming is through the PS3 - also wondering about sound quality for movies and the like.

Other than a few shows I watch religiously, and most of those can be watched via Amazon, Netflix or Hulu, even if not immediately, the real kicker for me, is sports. I am a huge hockey fan - I probably watch about 80-90% of the Minnesota Wild games, and I am not willing to part with that. That means come fall, we will probably be turning on whatever the most basic cable package I can get with Fox Sports North, or else getting one of the new customer deals with Dish or Direct which will still be considerably cheaper than what we are currently paying. NHL Gamecenter is available, but they blackout in-market games, meaning no Wild for me. I know there are VPN options but that seems like a lot of rinky-dink screwing around that at this point I don't feel like dealing with.

I'm convinced that sports broadcast rights are the only reason that the current cable/sat model continues to exist. I'd be ecstatic to drop cable if I could even PPV for an entire NHL season streaming local games...
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #32
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
Are you sure you can't? For example, the only reason I have comcast is to watch our local NBA team, the trailblazers, play. But I can buy a subscription to the entire season streaming on the web for $99.

I am getting ready to do exactly what you are doing. Please post up a review of your roku.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Just pony up for the NHL Gamecenter and watch the local blacked-out games by connecting via a proxy so you trick NHL into thinking your IP address is actually out of market.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,694
Is there a MLS channel or ways to watch games on this thing? I stream Amazon and Netflix through a PS3 but I want to catch some soccer games.

Disregard, I used google after posting...http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/mls-matchday-live
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,658
You'll like the Roku. The picture quality is excellent and sound from HDMI is very good. The menu and remote are very intuitive and in the event of a hardware issue, Roku has excellent customer service. They replaced ours for free even though it was slightly past the warranty period. Roku's environment is very open for adding various new content. Some free, some paid.

I do like AppleTV's Netflix app better. Having access to all of your iTunes content is also very nice. And it rocks to be able to stream content from any iPhone/Ipad/Mac via Airplay. The downside with Apple, as always, is their walled garden. For example; you won't be seeing an Amazon Prime app on there anytime soon.

For what you are saving per month by dropping your cable, you could easily buy both and still be money ahead after 3 months.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #36
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

I got home from softball tonight and she had hooked up the Roku and antenna, but we didn't have much time to play with it. We hooked them up on the upstairs TV, since the basement TV has the PS3 (and also has the home theater surround sound setup).

The antenna barely worked. It found about four channels (should have been 16 or so) and only Fox came in with a decent signal. NBC was poor, and CBS and ABC were non-existent. I think we will need a powered antenna, since we live about 20 miles from the transmitters, and we kind of live down in a low spot with a lot of trees.

The Roku is cool. Great picture and sound (sound is only through the TV speakers, but still sounded decent). I can't wait to play with it some more. I think I'm going to like this.

As far as Apple TV goes, we looked at it (and I'm an Apple fan boy to some extent - everything we have here is Mac or iPhone), but the big kicker was Amazon Prime, which apparently you can't run unless you jailbreak. Easier to just get the Roku, and supposedly, there's a way to stream your music library through the Roku anyway (as you can with the PS3 - I have that set up already with my Mac Mini server).
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #37
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post

The antenna barely worked. It found about four channels (should have been 16 or so) and only Fox came in with a decent signal. NBC was poor, and CBS and ABC were non-existent. I think we will need a powered antenna, since we live about 20 miles from the transmitters, and we kind of live down in a low spot with a lot of trees.
http://www.antennaweb.org/

http://plexapp.com/roku/
Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #38
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
Are you sure you can't? For example, the only reason I have comcast is to watch our local NBA team, the trailblazers, play. But I can buy a subscription to the entire season streaming on the web for $99.

I am getting ready to do exactly what you are doing. Please post up a review of your roku.
From what I've researched, this is offered at the team level, rather than the league level, so if the Blazers choose to offer a streaming setup to local customers, they can, but not all teams do. I've read that for the NHL, Vancouver and Toronto and a couple others do this, but not sure about others. It would also depend on their local broadcast contract. I don't think the Wild does this.

Re: running Gamecenter through a proxy. I've read mixed results on this, but it seems to be more due to bugs in Gamecenter than with the Roku or proxy themselves. If I thought it would be stable, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Apparently that works really well for MLB.tv, but not so much for the NHL, at least at this point.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #39
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Yep, antennaweb says we should be fine with a small multidirectional antenna, but it's not working well. I'll try and play with it more tomorrow.

Thanks for the note on Plex. Sounds similar to the PS3 media server program, which works well.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #40
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,328
Quote:
Yep, antennaweb says we should be fine with a small multidirectional antenna, but it's not working well. I'll try and play with it more tomorrow.

Thanks for the note on Plex. Sounds similar to the PS3 media server program, which works well.

I'm 60 miles away in either direction from signals. Antennaweb recommended an antenna and monoprice had a powered one that all reviews said it would pull from long distances. It doesn't. At some point I'm going to have to put one on the roof. Before football season.
The Roku is still going strong however, and is basically used for movies. It doesn't see a ton of use as there are days at a time between turning the tv on, but it was a wise investment for sure
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #41
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Bumping up an older thread here, but our Roku arrives tomorrow.

Discowife decided that we needn't be paying the outrageous Comcast bill any longer (plus this was due in part to a massive meltdown I had with Comcast on Sunday - long story). We will be stuck with Comcast for broadband - the only other choice is CenturyLink DSL, but the speeds are 20x slower, and I am not willing to downgrade to that extent, but we will be dropping cable and phone next week, for a savings of somewhere around $150/month. I HATE Comcast, but they are really the only option here for decent internet.

We have two very nice TV's, and we currently stream Amazon Prime through the PS3 on the basement TV, but we needed something for upstairs (first world problems, I know), so she wanted to get the Roku, and an HD antenna for local stations.

Any issues with it? How is the picture quality? I've been surprised at how good some of the streaming is through the PS3 - also wondering about sound quality for movies and the like.

Other than a few shows I watch religiously, and most of those can be watched via Amazon, Netflix or Hulu, even if not immediately, the real kicker for me, is sports. I am a huge hockey fan - I probably watch about 80-90% of the Minnesota Wild games, and I am not willing to part with that. That means come fall, we will probably be turning on whatever the most basic cable package I can get with Fox Sports North, or else getting one of the new customer deals with Dish or Direct which will still be considerably cheaper than what we are currently paying. NHL Gamecenter is available, but they blackout in-market games, meaning no Wild for me. I know there are VPN options but that seems like a lot of rinky-dink screwing around that at this point I don't feel like dealing with.

I'm convinced that sports broadcast rights are the only reason that the current cable/sat model continues to exist. I'd be ecstatic to drop cable if I could even PPV for an entire NHL season streaming local games...
Roku has a hockey channel with all NHL games, $100/year. hockeystreams
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #42
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
That too. I haven't heard any first hand experiences with it though. Although according to their website they appear to show all the games regardless of where you are located.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #43
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
For what you are saving per month by dropping your cable, you could easily buy both and still be money ahead after 3 months.
The Roku needs internet doesn't it? I have found that watching shows via Amazon (PS3) has caused my bandwith to go up and I keep moving up plans.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
Try Twonky Beam. I use it to stream websites to my Roku from my tablet and cell phone. It's free. Won't do Flash. But it doesn't seem to have a problem most of the websites I've tried it with.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #45
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
The Roku needs internet doesn't it? I have found that watching shows via Amazon (PS3) has caused my bandwith to go up and I keep moving up plans.

Commonly, yes it does. The "cable" he is dropping and saving $100ish per month is the TV/Telephone portion, not the Internet part.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: