Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #46
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Roku doesn't like slow speed internet.
My download is typically 17.5 - .6 MB never have a freeze and rarely have any
hiccup when watching.

You may want to get the Roku app for iphone and pad, haven't used the remote for a long time now.

Watched SEC football last year online, hooked the laptop up to the Samsung.
Then I went to the bar and watched the rest of the season's games.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #47
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
The Roku needs internet doesn't it? I have found that watching shows via Amazon (PS3) has caused my bandwith to go up and I keep moving up plans.
Comcast here is not increasing charges for more bandwidth...yet.

The cable is gone as of tomorrow. We will be paying about $80 a month for internet only through Comcast. We've already started watching a lot through the Roku. Good quality, decent selection.

I've also been ripping the DVD's to the Mac Mini so we can watch through the Roku or PS3 and not deal with tiny hands wrecking them. I'm amazed at how well that works, even via wireless, using Plex.

Now we'll just see what happens come hockey season.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,958
My Roku box got updated yesterday, now it won't connect to the internet. I spent half an hour with tech support on chat before being cut off. Still not connecting. I give up.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #49
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
My Roku box got updated yesterday, now it won't connect to the internet. I spent half an hour with tech support on chat before being cut off. Still not connecting. I give up.
Make sure it's connecting to your wireless(?) network. For whatever reason, my Roku 3 does not automatically reconnect to my Netgear (WPS). fwiw, I think it's the Netgear's fault.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
The new UI seems to be a step forward.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #51
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

So the cable is gone. Sort of.
We cancelled cable and phone through Comcast, and are paying now $80 a month for internet only.

But out of curiosity, I decided to hook one of the TV's directly up to the coax cable that used to go to the Comcast DVR. Sure enough, I picked up all the local channels, in HD no less. We never even needed to buy the antenna. Apparently, Comcast only filters out so much, so if you're paying for broadband internet, you can still get local channels (plus a couple others, like TBS and WGN) by hooking up your TV.

Now I'm even more interested in seeing if I can bypass the NHL Gamecenter block on in-market using a proxy next season so I can watch the Wild games. If it works, we won't be paying for cable again.

(In a weird quirk, when there's a conflict between the Wild and Wolves, one of the teams has to be on Fox Sports North Plus rather than the main FSN channel. The plus channel is actually available under our current setup, according to a friend who is doing the same thing.)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #52
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
So the cable is gone. Sort of.
We cancelled cable and phone through Comcast, and are paying now $80 a month for internet only.

But out of curiosity, I decided to hook one of the TV's directly up to the coax cable that used to go to the Comcast DVR. Sure enough, I picked up all the local channels, in HD no less. We never even needed to buy the antenna. Apparently, Comcast only filters out so much, so if you're paying for broadband internet, you can still get local channels (plus a couple others, like TBS and WGN) by hooking up your TV.

Now I'm even more interested in seeing if I can bypass the NHL Gamecenter block on in-market using a proxy next season so I can watch the Wild games. If it works, we won't be paying for cable again.

(In a weird quirk, when there's a conflict between the Wild and Wolves, one of the teams has to be on Fox Sports North Plus rather than the main FSN channel. The plus channel is actually available under our current setup, according to a friend who is doing the same thing.)
Just be aware that Comcast can run an audit at anytime (like when somebody on your node complains about crappy signal) and see what's connected.

Of course, if they're anything like the techs around here, they're already suffering from terminal apathy.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #53
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloBravo View Post
Roku doesn't like slow speed internet.
Rats!

I moved out into the boonies and because of trees I can't get DTV. Because I am so far out the best internet I can get is 1.5 MB down via DSL. I can't get cable either.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #54
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Just be aware that Comcast can run an audit at anytime (like when somebody on your node complains about crappy signal) and see what's connected.

Of course, if they're anything like the techs around here, they're already suffering from terminal apathy.
I'm not too concerned. Everyone I know that pays only for Internet has this. I suspect they know that a few channels aren't filtered and don't care.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #55
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Make sure it's connecting to your wireless(?) network. For whatever reason, my Roku 3 does not automatically reconnect to my Netgear (WPS). fwiw, I think it's the Netgear's fault.
The problem was that I could not get the Roku to connect. I tried a chat session with tech support, but was cut off. I got a phone call Saturday from them attempting to help, but I was traveling. I got another call today right after I got home, and we got it sorted out. That's pretty outstanding customer service, in my opinion.

In the end, I had to do a hard reset and re link the box, then log in to all the services. I also had to tweak the settings on the router. All is well now.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #56
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 975
So I took the first step in booting cable and bought a Roku. So far, so good. Now, how do I get watch motogp races on my tv through the roku if I buy a subscription? Aslo, how can I watch the wsbk races on BEIN? Or AMA on CBS Sports?
I installed Plex to watch youtube through the roku, but the races always take a couple of days to be uploaded.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #57
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

My friend just moved out to the boonies after retiring and is running a smart TV and Roku off of Hughesnet. They did the full install including a Netgear N router.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: