User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,581
A Plea For Assistance -- And A Potential Opportunity

Many of you know that the venerable Twinkie, that sign of all that is wrong with the modern diet here in the states has suffered an untimely demise. On this news, US shelves have been stripped bare of the gooey snack cake, and a US-made Twinkie is commanding a princely sum on the black market.

Indications are that the Twinkie is still being manufactured under license in Montreal. Help your brothers and sisters across the border! The Berlin Airlift will have nothing on the Twinkie Pipeline.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,402
We're done with being your crutch, the ones who bail your asses out all the time.

Go home yankee, we don't want your kind around here.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Laugh

Hey, if they want that stuff down south let them have it. It'll mean less consumption of said substance up here which will result in less strain on our health care system. Let ObamaCare deal with the consequences of Twinkie consumption.
A chance for someone to make a buck or three: Twinkie export.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
We're done with being your crutch, the ones who bail your asses out all the time.

Go home yankee, we don't want your kind around here.
Don't slap me, eh? I voted for the Canada Party this election, and I feel really bad about the whole Avro (Canada) Arrow business.

I'm a Canadian stuck in an American body.

I prefer Timmy's Glazed Sour Cream or the French Cruller, thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
UPDATE: According to CTV News, the rights to Hostess brands in Canada are held by Montreal-based Saputo Inc., though the Twinkie is not currently on their roster of snacks. George Weston Ltd. owns the rights to Wonder Bread. In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Lionel Ettedgui, president of the bakery division at Saputo declined to say whether they would bring on some or all of the US snack cakes into their line-up. Hostess has announced that they intend to sell their assets, including the US brand rights for Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho’s, Sno Balls, and Wonder Bread, to the highest bidder.

UPDATE 2: Toronto Standard's continued investigation into the Twinkie Crisis has revealed some information that is in conflict with media reports. A 300g box of Twinkies purchased at Loblaws (Queen and Portland location) has revealed that, contrary to other reports, the golden cakes certainly look like they are part of Saputo's Hostess snack cakes lineup. The Saputo label is clearly marked on the side of the box. Attempts to reach Saputo for comment were unsuccessful. A spokesperson said there was no one at the Montreal office today to comment or answer our questions about where Twinkies made for Canadian consumption are produced or why other reports say that Twinkies are not part of the Saputo Hostess lineup. Canadians consumers will have to wait until Monday for reassurance that they will still be able to buy these beloved treats in our country.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Many of you know that the venerable Twinkie, that sign of all that is wrong with the modern diet here in the states has suffered an untimely demise. On this news, US shelves have been stripped bare of the gooey snack cake, and a US-made Twinkie is commanding a princely sum on the black market.

Indications are that the Twinkie is still being manufactured under license in Montreal. Help your brothers and sisters across the border! The Berlin Airlift will have nothing on the Twinkie Pipeline.

We Western Cdns try to avoid any business dealings Quebecuois. Sorry, can't help.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
UPDATE: According to CTV News, the rights to Hostess brands in Canada are held by Montreal-based Saputo Inc., though the Twinkie is not currently on their roster of snacks. George Weston Ltd. owns the rights to Wonder Bread. In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Lionel Ettedgui, president of the bakery division at Saputo declined to say whether they would bring on some or all of the US snack cakes into their line-up. Hostess has announced that they intend to sell their assets, including the US brand rights for Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho’s, Sno Balls, and Wonder Bread, to the highest bidder.

UPDATE 2: Toronto Standard's continued investigation into the Twinkie Crisis has revealed some information that is in conflict with media reports. A 300g box of Twinkies purchased at Loblaws (Queen and Portland location) has revealed that, contrary to other reports, the golden cakes certainly look like they are part of Saputo's Hostess snack cakes lineup. The Saputo label is clearly marked on the side of the box. Attempts to reach Saputo for comment were unsuccessful. A spokesperson said there was no one at the Montreal office today to comment or answer our questions about where Twinkies made for Canadian consumption are produced or why other reports say that Twinkies are not part of the Saputo Hostess lineup. Canadians consumers will have to wait until Monday for reassurance that they will still be able to buy these beloved treats in our country.
By Jingus, we appear to have unearthed a mult-national conspiracy here. It's certain that the long claws of Ottawa are reaching into our simon-pure American snack food industry. What's next? Will the all-dressed chip supplant Honey Barbecue? Will we be offered poutine at our local McDonalds? I do not like it, Sam-I-Am. We'll be forced to eat smoked meat and pay HST next, and they'll take away our guns.

Canuman screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 11:15 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
We Western Cdns try to avoid any business dealings Quebecuois. Sorry, can't help.
Montreal is no more part of Canada than New York City is part of the US. They both exist in a different reality. Most of Quebec is pretty mellow. I love the Townships. They'll send us Twinkies.

That's a comment that will get this booted to CSM for sure. Sorry, but at at least I was here before the move.

Canuman screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 10:56 PM
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,081
The French ones taste even better.
Stay away.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,738
What Next?

You'll be wanting us to smuggle in Coffee Crisp and Ketchup Chips.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
You'll be wanting us to smuggle in Coffee Crisp and Ketchup Chips.
Naah, we can get those here. There's even a little diner that smuggles St. Hubert gravy for their poutine not too far away. I'm on the border of Orleans County, VT, aka "little Quebec." Before 9/11, no one really thought of the border as an impediment.

We'll trade you cheap gasoline and Marlboros for Twinkies, however.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Twinkies, meh. You haven't lived until you've had a Jos. Louis (aka Mad Dog Vachon Cake) with a Pepsi for breakfast.

frazman screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 09:10 AM
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
You guys need to step up a notch in your gourmet tastes. Butter tarts and nanaimo bars! Twinkies are for tw ... well lemme just say that even the black bears up here won't eat 'em out of the garbage, and they'll eat just about anything. Even Y&S licorice cigars with real 'fire' on the end are better.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
Twinkies, meh. You haven't lived until you've had a Jos. Louis (aka Mad Dog Vachon Cake) with a Pepsi for breakfast.

The best breakfast in Quebec.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Jos Louis ...altough I am more of a Demi Lune type of guy, sure ate lots of them Jos Louis, fresh off the Patisseries Vachon delivery truck. That was only 30 miles or so from my home town. And then once in a while we'd drive through Sainte Marie de Beauce and stop at the Patisseries Vachon store to buy "seconds" by the box.

Wal Mart sells some of that stuff in BC....always stale.