Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
lanceputnam OP
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 435
Whats the deal with "Adventure Riding Boots"?

I can understand using MX boots for when I ride in the track or in the dirt on my 250 or 450 dirtbikes but I do not understand what the reason for buying a specific set of boots for riding my GS would be. When I ride, I wear my Asolo GTX boots. They have been fantastic. They have a wrap around toe so no crazy issues with hitting the shift lever. They are 100% waterproof, solid as brass balls, and they are hiking boots so that means that when I am not on the bike I can actually walk like a human and never even think about changing boots. Also, I tend to do much more exploring off the bike when I see cool shit that I could imagine climbing or scaling a rock face with shorty moto boots on.

Im just curious as to why anyone would spend 2-3 bills on a dedicated pair of riding boots when hiking boots like the Asolo seem so much more versatile.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post

Im just curious as to why anyone would spend 2-3 bills on a dedicated pair of riding boots when hiking boots like the Asolo seem so much more versatile.

For the same reason they buy Aerostitch goodies when other, more affordable brands are just as good:

A. They think it makes them look cool
B. They match all of there friends
C. It lets them boast about how much they spent on them
D. They figure if the look the part.. then people will assume they know what they are doing
E. The boots provide a false sense of "bad assery"
F. Most likely, its because they want to...lol.

For the record, I ride in a pair of Danners....yep.. a pair of 90.00 combat boots...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
While doing my due diligence for my boot research was that Adventure boots have more ankle support but less than MX boots. It has less ankle support because you can walk in it if you have to but still not as easy as I thought it was going to be. My boots may still need to be broken in as it's still pretty brand new. In the event of a get off on a bike hiking boots could just strip off your foot because it doesn't go up past your ankles or melt to oblivion in a slide. I believe there are plastics in a motorcycle boot that hold it's shape better than hiking boots. I used to wear normal hiking boots as well and it got tore up on a motorcycle after less than a year use due to what I believe the foot pegs.
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
I guess you could also ask why people wear tennis shoes for playing tennis. I wear hiking boots when I hike, and I wear riding boots when I ride. I have an old pair of Prexports for sport riding (though I don't have a sportbike currently), and Alpinestars Scouts as my everyday pair on my GSA. They are tall, the leather is thick, the ankle and calf support is strong, and they're waterproof. My guiding principle in buying any motorcycle gear is, "If I were to crash, what do I want to be wearing?" I'd much rather protect myself with a proper pair of riding boots that give my feet and lower legs a better chance of surviving intact in a get-off, than a pair of boots that aren't designed to protect you at anything above a walking pace. To each his own.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
I can understand using MX boots for when I ride in the track or in the dirt on my 250 or 450 dirtbikes but I do not understand what the reason for buying a specific set of boots for riding my GS would be. When I ride, I wear my Asolo GTX boots. They have been fantastic. They have a wrap around toe so no crazy issues with hitting the shift lever. They are 100% waterproof, solid as brass balls, and they are hiking boots so that means that when I am not on the bike I can actually walk like a human and never even think about changing boots. Also, I tend to do much more exploring off the bike when I see cool shit that I could imagine climbing or scaling a rock face with shorty moto boots on.

You just wanted to stir things up, right? Around here people get pretty riled up justifying their gear, especially their expensive boots. You can expect someone to post a pic showing a hideously swollen ankle, or an x-ray showing gruesome screws and pins hammered into the bone. Until recently, most riders wore work boots, army boots, or less armored MC boots and all was good. Now, at least on this site, a person will be scoffed at if he doesn't wear a $400 pair of "adventure" boots every time he rides.

I do own heavy and clunky riding boots, but it is no fun walking around like Frankenstein for a short walk, let alone going for a hike or walking around the mall, etc. That's when the hikers are more practical. Of course others will say that you can stow a pair of walking shoes for this purpose, but that's just not me.

Wearing hiking boots you are miles ahead of the kid wearing a pair of converse or flip-flops. I thing hiking boots are a good compromise in riding protection and walking around when not actually riding your "adventure" bike. Just my opinion, and "to each his own" as posted above.

Mr. B screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:21 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
You ride a 2012 BMW R1200 GS Rallye and started a thread about people spending $200-$300 dollars on ADV. boots to look cool?
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I do own heavy and clunky riding boots, but it is no fun walking around like Frankenstein for a short walk, let alone going for a hike or walking around the mall, etc. That's when the hikers are more practical. Of course others will say that you can stow a pair of walking shoes for this purpose, but that's just not me.

Wearing hiking boots you are miles ahead of the kid wearing a pair of converse or flip-flops. I thing hiking boots are a good compromise in riding protection and walking around when not actually riding your "adventure" bike. Just my opinion, and "to each his own" as posted above.
I have both:
Altberg "hiking boots" (although they're motorcycle boots, the company also make hiking boots and the soles of these have been used on successful everest expeditions). Great for Adventure riding and 10x better for when walking around camp than Enduro boots.

Alpinestars Tech 3s for 'sports' riding where I will be pushing it and coming off left right and centre. I will wear them for short trips, or if I can squeeze in some plimsoles for use off the bike, but I'd never take them as my sole footwear on a long trip.

A couple of weeks ago I met a chap who had spent 9 years riding around the world. FWIW, he wore hiking boots the whole time and one pair lasted for the whole trip.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
dstock
Adventurer n00b

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
You ride a 2012 BMW R1200 GS Rallye and started a thread about people spending $200-$300 dollars on ADV. boots to look cool?

I'm going to be needing a new keyboard, thank you.

"When in doubt, gas it!"

2002 R1150GSA "Fat Bastard"
dstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
lanceputnam OP
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post

FYI- I got it for free from my local BMW dealership. They had a special where you buy a $20,000 limited edition bottle of motorrad oil and you got a rallye for free. I can never pass up a good deal.

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
From what I can tell, the boots you listed are 200$+.... For hiking boots. Brown hiking boots. That most people couldn't differentiate from a 60$ pair.

Hello pot I'm kettle, and you're black and I have 200$ hiking boots, shame on your expensive adventure riding boots!

You also don't appear to have a rigid construction in those . The point of adv riding boots is that your foot and ankle isn't supposed to be able to twist away from your leg, tearing away connective tissue away in a motorcycle crash. The construction that makes them miserable for walking around in, is a design feature.

I would really like a pair of SIDI Adventure Rain or Gore-Tex boots. Not because I want to look cool or be awesome, but because my current boots suuuuuck.

I have a 100$ pair of Bates Gore-Tex Combat boots, and a 100$ pair of Moose Racing M1 boots. I switch between them based I'm what I predict my walking will be like. Though I do try to store comfortable shoes now in my panniers now. I've had the displeasure of walking 10 miles in those MX boots through the forest, it was borderline unbearable. I've also ridden in cold rain in both sets. They like to fill with water. The bates: through the top. The M1's through the seams.

I would like to think by having a tall boot, like my M1s, but having a gore-tex liner like the bates, I would end up with something like the SIDI Adventure, which is theoretically more protective and dryer. Having shorter boots is asking to have boots full of water (through the tops), and to have your ankle torn up by minor twisting in an accident. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,054
I needed something waterproof, ankle & shin protection suitable for riding, and soles with enough tread to have traction to push or pick up a KLR.

Dual-sport boots fit the bill (specifically, these Gaernes).

Hiking boots lack protection and quickly develop shifter holes. Street riding boots are less protective and have little to no tread for dirt.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 467
If someone want to wear hiking boots on a bike, they can knock themselves out. Personally I wouldnt compromise safety in that way. I wear Sidi Crossfires when I am doing dirt trips because the consequences of not wearing adequate protective gear is not worth the risk as far as I am concerned. If walking is part of the trip, I would take an extra pair of boots. I really dont see the amount paid as much of a problem. The cost of quality gear amortised over its life doesnt work out particularly expensive. Lets face it, dirt touring is a hobby and hobbies cost money. The issue with safety gear is that it is only when something goes wrong that it comes into its own. If you dont crash, or dont crash in a way that creates an ankle injury you might not notice or care. Still each to their own.
grogger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Since I spent so little on my bike (15 year old 1100GS), I can afford to spend more on protective gear. Sort of the opposite of you.

More seriously, I bought my riding boots to protect my feet/ankles in the event of a crash. I did not buy them to walk around in. They're riding boots, not hiking boots. That said, they're pretty damn comfortable now that I've broken them in. (Yes, they're Aerostich Combat Lites)
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
SkidmarkSteve
Never say die

Oddometer: 29
I pulled the trigger on Sidi Adventure Rain boots because I like to put safety first when I can. I reflect on what a broken leg or ankle would do to my ability to report to work everyday and draw a paycheck and my mind is made up.

Fwiw, I was expecting a lengthy break in and much to my surprise, they didn't require it. I don't regularly hike when I ride; I save that for my backpacking excursions. Any walking that I do on a ride is totally feasible in these boots because for all that they are, they are extremely comfortable.

I don't need boots to look or feel cool.

I could care less what anyone spends on their gear and I can't understand why anyone would care what I spend likewise.

1972 Suzuki GT380 (gone but not forgotten)
2011 Massey Ferguson NightRod Special (gone....forgotten)
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

SkidmarkSteve screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 04:58 PM
SkidmarkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
When I was 18 and a penniless student, I rode in jeans, my regular leather jacket, and whatever shoes I owned at the time.

Nowadays, with a well-paid job, I can buy the gear I want. I bought a pair of Sidi Adv GTX. I sure was glad I did when I rode through days of rain, and even more glad I did when I binned the bike. Stood right up, not a scratch. Would I have with lesser boots? No one will ever know, but the fire dept ppl who arrived at the scene told me that the outcome of mc accidents are seldom anywhere near as good as mine was.

Boots don't need to be MX to be adventure though; offroad does not equal adventure.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote